Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 360

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default 360

I am thinking of going out and buying me a 360 for a number of reasons.
    -They are getting cheap now
    -Halo 3
    -Can have friends over and play together.

What is the media functionally of the 360 like? Can I use it with my creative mp3 player or can I even stream music/movies to it.

Also how much are extra wireless controllers?

Are the consoles as screwy as people say they are. Or if you are smart and keep them well ventilated and not in some tiny tv cupboard will you still experience any problems.

Is it worth getting the version with the hard drive and all that if I am not going to be storing movies on there or is it one of those things you gotta have.

Is it easy to network. Is there a wifi adapter for it or do I have to buy a bridge?

Finally does it have HDCP as the Sony LCD tv we have has one?

I know I am asking a lot but I am sure the brain trust here can answer my questions as a group.
    Need a sig

Default Re: 360

What is the media functionally of the 360 like? Can I use it with my creative mp3 player or can I even stream music/movies to it.
    I'm not sure what you mean by use it with your mp3 player but you can stream movies and such quite easliy through a home network. I used a wireless G modem and it worked well but I have heard wireless A is better.

Also how much are extra wireless controllers?

Check ebay, usually about $20-30 USD I think.

Are the consoles as screwy as people say they are. Or if you are smart and keep them well ventilated and not in some tiny tv cupboard will you still experience any problems.

I have had one since release day last Nov. and for the most part it has functioned flawlessly in terms of data storage integrity and glitches etc..However I did have to ship it to M$ once for a new video card replacement which they did for free.

Is it worth getting the version with the hard drive and all that if I am not going to be storing movies on there or is it one of those things you gotta have.

I would definately get one with a HDD, you will want more than the onboard storage for many games which require lots of saving. I don't think you'll save much getting one without, but I don't think you need the Elite 120GB, that seems like overkill unless you plan to store the movies on the 360.

Is it easy to network. Is there a wifi adapter for it or do I have to buy a bridge?

There is a wireless adapter made by M$ for the 360, but it is shamelessly overpriced (~$100). You would be much better off running an ethernet cable to network it. Aside from that, it networks like a breeze. I'm using Windows Media Center 2005 which probably makes it easier though.

Finally is there HDCP support?

Not sure.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Cheers for the speedy response. I.O.U. rep

Thats annoying about the wifi means I have to run cat5 to the lounge room.

One more question don't hurt me. Whats the range on the controllers like?
    Need a sig

Pretty damn good actually. Mine has the wireless controller, DVD remote (IR), and the best part if you are an online team gamer is the headset which plugs directly into the controller so proximity is not an issue. The bluetooth range is good enough that if you're far enough that it won't reach, you can't see your TV anyway. I have sat in the bedroom and changed tracks using the controller in another romm 20' away through a wall with nno problems.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

ATX Mental Case

I'm like 98.7% positive there is no hdcp support. Alot of mp3 players do work with the 360 yes (there is a list of them somewhere but I cant be arsed.. google is your friend though). everything else jon took care of.... only one thing I disagree with him on.... you may not "need" the 360 Elite.... but the Elite absolutely rox j00r s0x, I mean its black.. and its got a bigger hard drive... what more do you want hehehehehe

"Make the connection, and Xbox 360 instantly streams the digital media stored on your MP3 player, digital camera, Media Center PC, or any Microsoft® Windows® XP 2005 Edition-based PC." ~ Xbox.com

also there is no longer a list that I can find, but the forums say that most usb devices WILL work with the 360 which includes mp3 players.
    Last edited by solja; 08-26-2007 at 06:20 AM. Reason: more info

Current Mods: The Dark Side
    PLEASE Support The Cause.

You'll definately want one with a HD, lots of people are speculating that some games might require a hard drive and people without one won't be able to play them (GTA4 is an example of this), lots are saying GTA4 will require a harddrive for so much swap space

Gaming Console Modder Mitternacht's Avatar

The only reason I vouched to buy the Elite was to be unique and to be one of the first to have it. I also plan on modding it anyways when I get bored with Xbox Live, so that 120 GB is gonna really come in handy whenever I mod it. It'll save me money that I wont have to spend on another SATA 2.5" HDD. I can also use a HDMI to DVI cable to play it on any HDCP Monitor, until I get a HDTV w/ HDMI.

Another thing about MP3's, the funny thing is that the 360 and iPod are completely compatible; 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    I never like get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    The only reason I vouched to buy the Elite was to be unique and to be one of the first to have it. I also plan on modding it anyways when I get bored with Xbox Live, so that 120 GB is gonna really come in handy whenever I mod it. It'll save me money that I wont have to spend on another SATA 2.5" HDD. I can also use a HDMI to DVI cable to play it on any HDCP Monitor, until I get a HDTV w/ HDMI.

Another thing about MP3's, the funny thing is that the 360 and iPod are completely compatible; 100%.
    also the 360 and all Sony mp3 players to my knowledge are compatible

Current Mods: The Dark Side
    PLEASE Support The Cause.

Cool thanks guys. I will probably pick one up this weekend.
    Need a sig

Halo 3 sucks!!!!!!! haha, i can't say that but i sure won't be getting it
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v