Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No internet on the laptop....

Default Re: No internet on the laptop....

On the Dell support site, you should be able to enter the service tag code, found on the bottom of the laptop. Once you punch that in, it will give you the "as built" spec of the laptop, including a full list of hardware and software specific to that exact one.

If the NIC is supposedly installed correctly, check the device manager to see if it's listed as working or if there's a problem. Red X or Yellow ! means disabled, or troubles. If it says that it's fine, then it's not likely a driver error. You can also just do the usual "uninstall" from the device manager, and reboot to let it redetect the nic and auto-install it.

Check in the bios to make sure the onboard NIC isnt disabled. Also, are you running on battery when you are testing it? Some Inspirons that I've worked on disable the onboard NIC when running on batteries to conserve power. Check your power settings on the NIC also in the device manager, and make sure it's not set to turn off the device to save power.. try changing your power scheme also to either presentation mode or "always on".

Do you get a physical link light when you plug in the ethernet cable? A light is a good sign, no light means that the physical connection isnt establishing.. can be one of two things. Either the jack is damaged, or the cable is damaged/wrong. The NIC on your desktop PC could have an autosense port on it, meaning that it will accept a crossover or a regular patch cable.. if the cable IS a crossover, then the laptop may not work.

Bring up a command prompt, and try to run "ipconfig /all". If you get an error about the IP configuration, then your TCP settings are corrupt. If not, then they are fine, and it's something else causing the problem.

Umm.. lemme think some more about this.. I love a good challenge.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Please take this response in stride. As I have not worked on any Dell Laptops, I have seen my fair share of Dell desktops. If dell has any kind of continuity or consistency then I can tell you if you install drivers in the wrong order it will never work properly.

Formatting a Dell can be one of the most arduous and annoying processes ever. I suggest scowering the dell site for direct instructions on driver installation for the specific model. I know that on the drivers disks themselves it tells you the order for which to install on a fresh system. If you do not have the disks you can download all required material from the site.

If that helps at all please let me know. But just a warning, Dell installations suck and take far too much time to get correct. Be patient, well as patient as one can be with Dell.
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

Greco101

I have the 5150 disk but I'm not 100% sure if I went from top to bottom exactly. I tried the cmd> ipconfig /all and no error, just some blanks info and some other crap but no error.

Tried deleting the network stuff under the manager and restarted... detected it but still no connection. On the modem itself, the pc activity light isn't lit which leads me to believe A) NIC is bad or B) the cable is in fact wrong (I always thought an ethernet cable was an ethernet cable?)

I checked the bios and found this:
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5...g?t=1188280403

"cardbus NIC" pretty much tells me the people I bought it from knew about the bad NIC and decided not to include the cardbus NIC to make it more fun for me (and you...). They were both blue with no arrow... I tried enabling the onboard NIC and moved it up a notch because it was below the cardbus nic (not that that would matter I don't think?).

The NIC port light is always on but when the cable is connected, a smaller light in there flickers ever few seconds.

I've never had troubles with Dell drivers either. Most of them are self installing too.. download, run, wait a few... reboot.

The cardbus nic that shows up in the list doesnt mean that there was one installed previously, it just means that the computer can use it as a boot option (likely for PXE or wake on-lan activity) functionality.

Anyways... a solid light with flickering light is what you want to see. The solid one is the physical connection light, and then flickering one is showing activity.

If you are seeing that, then 9 times out of 10 the hardware is functional.

On your ethernet cable, if both ends are the same, it's a pass-through or standard cable. If the ends are different, it's a "crossover cable". Crossovers reverse the send and recieve wires at one end for plugging directly between 2 computers.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Greco101 View Post
    ... I tried the cmd> ipconfig /all and no error, just some blanks info and some other crap but no error.

On the modem itself, the pc activity light isn't lit which leads me to believe A) NIC is bad or B) the cable is in fact wrong (I always thought an ethernet cable was an ethernet cable?)

The NIC port light is always on but when the cable is connected, a smaller light in there flickers ever few seconds.

In summary if I understand right the lights of the ethernet port on the laptop are on but the PC activity light on the modem is not on.

If this is right it is almost certainly one of two things:

a) you are using a crossover cable and need a patch cable

or

b) The IP settings in Network connections for the Ethernet port are wrong.

The lights being on on the NIC demonstrate it is trying to connect to the modem but not finding a response. The PC activity light not being on on the modem would imply ame thing.

b) is easy enough to rule out.

Open the network connection properties on your desktop machine.

Open the ethernet "Local area connection" properties

Click on internet (TCP/IP) and open properties

Firstly see if it is set to "obtain an IP address automatically" or "use the following IP address". If it is set not to obtain an IP address automatically it might be that your modem does not have a DHCP server or that it is not turned on. Then your laptop is asking the modem for an IP address and the modem has no idea what the laptop means.

Based on what settings are in there follow this:

Use the following IP address

In this case copy down the IP address, network mask and gateway and DNS settings on a piece of paper.

Open your laptop network connections then open the ethernet connection properties and internet (TCP/IP) properties and copy the above information into the boxes there. (you may want to change the last three digits of the IP address if you ever put a router or switch/hub on and have both connected concurrently but for now keep it the same).

Plug in the laptop to the modem and see if it works.

Obtain an IP address Automatically

If your desktop is set to this then your modem is running a DHCP server and it might be the cable: try borrowing another Ethernet cable that you know is not a crossover cable. Plug the laptop in with this. See if it works.

If none of the above works then you probably are back to either bad drivers/resource conflict / BIOS issue or a faulty NIC but from what you have described of its behaviour it does not sound like any of these.

Hope that helps.

CrazyB

Greco101

-The lights of the ethernet port on the laptop are on but the PC activity light on the modem is not on.

- Not using a crossover

- TC/IP settings both were set to "obtain an IP address automatically"

Greco101

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    i still saypop out the keyboard, and look for the NIC chipset. At least then you can verify that you have the right driver.

support.dell.com will give you the list of possible NIC's onboard that particular model. There may be one or 4 drivers to choose from. If you verify the chipset against what you are installing you can then at least verfiy whether you are dealing with borked hardware or borked settings.
    -Jeremy
    Can't I do the same by just uninstalling the network drivers then restarting the computer and seeing what it detects?

Quote Originally Posted by Greco101 View Post
    -The lights of the ethernet port on the laptop are on but the PC activity light on the modem is not on.

- Not using a crossover

- TC/IP settings both were set to "obtain an IP address automatically"
    I agree with Jeremy, and it may be worth trying this:

type IPconfig /all on the desktop in command prompt, copy down the IP address, mask, gateway DNS server information and then set those manually on the laptop and see if it then works.

Greco101

Alright, I'll check it out.

So far, I downloaded/burned/installed sp2 on the 5150... thought it may help but no luck. Oh well.. at least now I can have my buddys dad install the office 2007 pro... that's mainly what I was freaking out about because I posted it on ebay saying it would come with it.

ATX Mental Case

I just sent dgrmkrp a pm about a similar issue, though depending on how many computers have ever been connected to your modem it may not help, send me a pm and I can send you the instructions I sent him