Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows XP home question

Default Re: Windows XP home question

Moving a windows install is apparently possible with a few pre-migration steps.
    Just uninstall everything in device manager while in the old setup, then move the hard drive to another computer and let windows go through all the "found new hardware" steps.
    someone actually try this before or know if it works?

Quote Originally Posted by modmansage View Post
    Just uninstall everything in device manager while in the old setup, then move the hard drive to another computer and let windows go through all the "found new hardware" steps.
    I did. That's what I was talking about, and like I said, it doesn't always work (didn't for me). It's much easier to just do a fresh install. Backup all you important stuff, install Windows again, and reinstall everything else. Takes a weekend but is much more hassle-free.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by modmansage View Post
    You don't even always need to do this if the machines are vaguely similar. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. On many occassions I have taken a Windows 2000 HDD and shoved it in a completely different system having uninstalled nothing to have it boot first time without a problem even though the mobo, processor and Video card were different.

Having said this I tend not to use systems this way. I'm a clean install man myself.