Thread: HDD problem, im stuck......

Overclocked

Default HDD problem, im stuck......

cant figure out why its not working, its all hooked up, jumpers in the slave slot since its not my main, its got power going to it, hooked to the ide slot. but the computer doesnt show it, bios doesnt even say its there.
    "Two people can keep a secret only if one is dead." Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: HDD problem, im stuck......

get hiren's bootdisk and use some of its disk testing apps
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

some custom title eh Cannibal23's Avatar

how big is the drive? is it used or new? how old is your pc? some times large drives are not supported on older motherboards. if this is the case you will need to look for a bios update from the motherboard manufacture. can you plug this drive into another pc to verify that its the drive or the pc that is haveing the issue? im pretty handy with these types of issues so i will help you out as much as i can
    - The stone knows not why the chistle cleves it
    - The steel knows not why the fire scorches it
    - When thy life is cleft and scorched
    - Curse not thine evil fate
    - Thank the builder for the trials that shape thee.

Try to boot it up as the only drive in the system. Does it spin up at all? (ie make noise?)

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Is the drive sharing a cable with the master? If so is it connected to the right connector? If not sharing, is it still connected to the right connector (I have seen this as an issue even if it is jumpered for slave or master and not cable select) Also on some mobo's you have to enable the port, depending on what IDE channel it is connected to.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    get hiren's bootdisk and use some of its disk testing apps
    why? the computer cant pick it up
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal23 View Post
    how big is the drive? is it used or new? how old is your pc? some times large drives are not supported on older motherboards. if this is the case you will need to look for a bios update from the motherboard manufacture. can you plug this drive into another pc to verify that its the drive or the pc that is haveing the issue? im pretty handy with these types of issues so i will help you out as much as i can
    its only a year or 2 old, WD 80 gb, and i have a brand new computer, thats not the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Try to boot it up as the only drive in the system. Does it spin up at all? (ie make noise?)
    it spins without it being main.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Is the drive sharing a cable with the master? If so is it connected to the right connector? If not sharing, is it still connected to the right connector (I have seen this as an issue even if it is jumpered for slave or master and not cable select) Also on some mobo's you have to enable the port, depending on what IDE channel it is connected to.
    its not even on the same cable system lol. my main is on sata and this is on ide. adn yeah ive thought about the board, ive messed with it a lot in setings, so i think ima reset bios and see what happens

ATX Mental Case

do you have CD drives hooked up? with my old motherboard in order to use my second (or third) IDE channel i had to turn off SATA im not sure if your motherboard works this way (the one im talking about is a gigabyte) but it is something to check.

im not sure why, but my bro's PC won't whoe up any IDE hard drives if theres one on the sata, have you contected your boards support?

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Overclocked

HA, i stayed on tech support line for an hour