Thread: Homemade CNC milling machine

ATX Mental Case NamesAreUseless's Avatar

Default Homemade CNC milling machine

For those of you who are experienced with electronics, there is a way to build your own mill without the costly price of a real cnc mill. It takes basic knowledge of tools to make it. It takes about a couple pipe fittings some plexi and 3 stepper motors and a couple rails.Now, I say you need to be a bit familiar with electronics, because you need to know how to make and solder a pcb to control the motors.

Video of it in action can be found here:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/EG9R...J7SL/?ALLSTEPS
    Stepper Motor and Driver circuits:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/EJ3K...QRL3/?ALLSTEPS

The fittings might not look too good, but I'm sure you guys can improve that .

(I'm not even sure if this is in the right section. lol :p)

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Default Re: Homemade CNC milling machine

Check out CNCzone.com for some real machines. Dremel bearings have way too much runout to be used on any decent machine. I bet the accuracy on that machine was terrible, the linear bearings were just tubes lol... I actually own a home built CNC router that I designed and built myself. I have youtube videos if anyone cares, but I only really used the machine briefly.

I was going to make a better machine, but as of right now I have 0 money, so its not happening until I get a job, which isn't happening until I get a car, which isn't happening until I get my license, which isn't happening for another 2 months.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

ATX Mental Case NamesAreUseless's Avatar

I understand how it might have horrible accuracy, but that was just a crude mock-up-ish thing with a little work it can be improved because it's made of very simple objects.Besides, the only main components are the stepper motors and the pcb's so I'm pretty sure it's simple enough to improve.

Also, I don't know why, but he said that he attempted to carve cheese with it.

I'd like to see your videos too.

This link may be of interest (www.buildyourcnc.com). I have been writing and videoing a CNC build for the last three months and I'm up to about 31 videos on a really inexpensive MDF build.

The one on instructables (the pipe build) is pretty awesome too (a work of art). It would be nice to retrofit it for another cutting too that has little runout. Bigger pipe maybe.