Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire!

Default Fire!

OK I guess I should not yell fire in a crowded forum!

Had a fire breakout close to my house yesterday;

http://origin.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6769460

Not close enough that we got evacuated but close enough to scare the bejeebies out of us. The CDF was dropping the red fire retardant with DC10 and a helicopter was dropping water from the nearby reservoir. Cudo's to all the fire departments that responded and took control of the blaze. It is now about 50% contained and that is really a feat considering where the fire is. The terrain in that area is steep, rocky and covered with trees, so just the task of getting to the front line was amazing! Since California is in the worst drought in 3 decades the forest is a tinderbox. Even the redwoods are starting to turn brown, and that never happens. The whole community and those around us are saluting the firefighters! Thanks guys!

I had to drive right by the area on my way home and they had not closed the road. The main danger was not the smoke but rather the lookie loo's suddenly stopping and swerving off the road and then running across the Hwy... Almost took out 3 people as they rushed across the road in front of me on a blind corner. If I had not been expecting it, the three of them and I would have been in the hospital. I stopped and called the CHP to have them come take care of the situation _after_ I yelled at the Mom, Dad, and kid. First time in many many moons I have had to lock up my front wheel...

We were without power for 12 hours since our main transmission lines run right through the area that is still burning. They rerouted the grid and we had power by 1am.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Austral Alien

Default Re: Fire!

Glad you place was ok. I know how scary it can be living over here and having massive Bush Fires. Having ash rain down in your yard while the night sky lights up red sure gets you worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    If I had not been expecting it,
    The Force is strong in this rider. Sometimes the body just knows when to take it easy on the bike and it's surprising how often it is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Glad that you, your house, and those people running across the road are alright... I've never been near such a big fire, but I can imagine it's horrible to have one advancing towards your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Glad you place was ok. I know how scary it can be living over here and having massive Bush Fires. Having ash rain down in your yard while the night sky lights up red sure gets you worried.

The Force is strong in this rider. Sometimes the body just knows when to take it easy on the bike and it's surprising how often it is right.
    The truth! The hair on the back of my neck was standing up and it was not from the fire...

Life is like an analogy...

i know this situation all too well. our neighbors house burned down last christmas. it took more than 20 minutes for the firefighters to get there, and if it had taken even a minute longer, the fire would have jumped to some trees and right to our house.

we were pretty much ready to bail at a moments notice, but FINALLY the fire trucks got there.

its not a good feeling when you realize you could possibly lose everything you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    The truth! The hair on the back of my neck was standing up and it was not from the fire...
    Static electricity!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

i was at work and a house next to the cars started burning in the attic. there was little physical damage to the outside. i later found out 30 people lived there so the owner gots some splenning (right spelling on that word?) to do!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Here we go again!

This time the fire IS close to my house. OK 5 miles is too close for me. Good news it is heading towards the ocean away from our 'hood, but will probably take out several houses on it's way. My good friends got a scare since the fire is in the ravine just over the hill from them.

This is a shot from the main beach in Santa Cruz looking northwest;
    http://www.scsextra.com/thumbnail.ph...&new_width=665

This shot is from UCSC, further north than the last pic;

This is a shot from a small town called Felton, just below where the fire is raging;

In the last image, if you go left at the stop sign, down one block and right one block, my closest freinds live there. The got a warning to leave last night but were later told not to leave since the fire headed to the coast. We are all watching this one since it could shift at any time depending on the wind. Right now we have offshore winds at ~20 mph, but they are expecting them to shift sometime today.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

That would suck.

Today I came to school for my last day and The Red Cross is using the Tri-campus(SLVHS) as a refugee point for families. (I live in Boulder Creek so we are not in any danger.)
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F