Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux web server with Squid Proxy

Default Linux web server with Squid Proxy

The Goal:

The kids are getting their own computer here at the new house. I only want them to access certain sites, so I need a proxy server.

Solution:
    Build a linux box running squid so I can restrict access. I've also decided to turn it in to a home web server complete with phpBB.

What I've done so far:
    Installed Fedora 7 (LAMP setup) on an old Dell Dimension 1.3Ghz Celeron, 512 megs PC133 SDRAM, 20 Gig HDD. I've also installed VNC server, webmin, and phpBB.

Squid actually came pre-installed, so now I just have to work on getting it configured. Configuration is done through access control lists using permit or deny statements. I'll be doing research on that tonight. I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse hooked up to it right now, but eventually, it'll be a headless system since I can either use ssh, webmin, or VNC to make changes.

I have to run some network drops, so I'll be sure to take pictures of that process for everyone. Also, here is your chance for requests. If there is anything you would like me to try out, let me know.

Here's 2 screenies of my home page, and forum. Notice, there really isn't any content right now.. that will change. The forum probably won't be used for anything other than just something to play around with.

Default Re: Linux web server with Squid firewall

Cool plan with the proxy server. I had a friend who built a proxy using a Novell Netware server.. it had some wild caching abilities built in, which he was taking advantage of due to his dial up internet connection. (This was around 1997, and he lived waaaay out in the middle of nowhere) The proxy had the modem installed in it, and would dial on demand if any of the computers tried to access the internet.

Once anyone had visited a website, a full copy of it was stored in cache on the server, and then it would compare against the live site to see if there were changes/differences.. load times were phenomenal. (sp?)

+rep for being a concerned parent.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I should clarify that last post...

Once someone had visited a page/site, it would THEN be stored in cache for the next person to visit that page/site.

That makes more sense now, doesnt it?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

oops.. Just noticed that I put squid FIREWALL in the title.. it should be squid PROXY.

Here's a cool squid config tutorial I found. I might be able to play around with this on Sunday (I'm off work) or Tuesday before work (I don't go in until 11 PM). Can't do anything with it tomorrow because I have to be at work 2 hours earlier than normal. It's definitely going to be fun though.

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/0...squid-part-ii/

I can't get the squid service to restart.. UGH!!! </frustration!> Anyway, I'm working every night until Wednesday, and then I'm off starting Thursday morning, and don't go back until Monday night. I'll check it out then.

If you have another old machine laying around PII 400Mhz is fine, you could install IPCOP on it and build firewall rules to moderate their web-browsing. You would then have the same level of security on your home network as many corporate networks into the bargain (yes some large corporations use this free linux distro as their F/wall ... it's that good).

Intranet looks sweet +rep for that and being a dad that cares

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    I can't get the squid service to restart.. UGH!!! </frustration!> Anyway, I'm working every night until Wednesday, and then I'm off starting Thursday morning, and don't go back until Monday night. I'll check it out then.
    No! I was really looking forward to this! If it makes pages load faster I'm all for it!

Anyways, I'm sure you'll get it settled, and when you do, I'll be looking for the tut .
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    No! I was really looking forward to this! If it makes pages load faster I'm all for it!

Anyways, I'm sure you'll get it settled, and when you do, I'll be looking for the tut .
    No worries man.. the project is still on, it's just gonna be a week before I have the time to look at and fix whatever squid might have a problem with. No big deal if I have to format and start over either.

Ok, so I lied. It's been over a month since I've been able to do anything. Got some squid configs done. Basically, what I'm doing is creating an access list of allowed sites only. Everything else will be denied. It's actually very easy to configure with webmin. Screenies: