Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux web server with Squid Proxy

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

Default Re: Linux web server with Squid firewall

any progress is good progress, no matter how long it takes.

I have mixed feelings about this though, I understand what your trying to keep your kids away from, but limiting them to so few websites, you might as well not even set it up.

After a few days/weeks they will be sick of the websites and probably give up on using the computer. Hell, they can google something like "sex" and read the website descriptions.

At the very least tell them what your doing, update the list every week adding new entertaining but safe websites, and make sure to tell them that they can ask you to add any website but you'll have to review its content first.

Presumably there must be a huge whitelist to be found somewhere on that thing they call the internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

there probably is but after googling several key words like "kid safe whitelist" "child friendly whitelist" etc most of the results are about movements trying to make the internet safer, or companies trying to sell programs that block those websites, not lists.

Ya i know, I did a very quick google before posting that. But like I said there must be one somewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by D1337 View Post
    any progress is good progress, no matter how long it takes.

I have mixed feelings about this though, I understand what your trying to keep your kids away from, but limiting them to so few websites, you might as well not even set it up.

After a few days/weeks they will be sick of the websites and probably give up on using the computer. Hell, they can google something like "sex" and read the website descriptions.

At the very least tell them what your doing, update the list every week adding new entertaining but safe websites, and make sure to tell them that they can ask you to add any website but you'll have to review its content first.
    Meh.. the list is far from complete. I'll be removing google from the safe list. If the oldest needs to look up something for a school project, she can use mine. That way it's supervised. The sites that I will be adding are ones that they go to ALL the time without fail. They also know that if there is something new, they can always ask me to add it.

Default Re: Linux web server with Squid Proxy

So, I started playing around with the server a little more last night, and happened to find out about Virtualmin. This nifty little tool is handy for those of you wanting to host your own web site, or even others web sites. We start by accessing virtualmin from the servers page in webmin. Next, we're going to add a site. Click on the "Add new server owned by" button, and enter the appropriate info on the next screen. I found that there's an issue with the IP based virtual IP settings. You need to add more than 1 IP address to the NIC on the machine. Just uncheck it, and you can use the server address (in my case 10.0.0.10) and the username and password issued for that domain when you want to add files to it. NOTE: The domain I'm using isn't actually registered, I'm just taking this on a test drive.

Next we see some output text from the server while everything is configured for that domain.

After the domain is setup, you can click on it, and change/add settings.

Now, here's where it gets really interesting. Setting things up for use with dyndns. From the virtualmin menu, select Dynamic IP Update.

Enter the info it needs, and you should be all set. NOTE: I'm only making an assumption here, because I don't actually have a domain to test this with. I can only assume that there must be some sort of dyndns client you need to run on the server. Maybe Mal will chime in on that one for us. I know it's working on his server.

So what's next in the tut? CAT5 wiring. Let me know if you have questions, suggestions, or would like to see me include something else.

Cool man! It looks like that DynDNS setting could be very useful, especially for people like me running a website on a dynamic IP.

+rep for sure.

Edit: Or after I spread it around at least.
    RIP Bucko

Holy crap man, this is so over my head! I am wanting to do this however at some point so when I do I will be following this bad boy line to line. Great job!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Check it out. I have everything online now. http://sgtm.homelinux.com <--- free sub domain provided by www.dyndns.com

I got it working by going to dynamic update:

Once there, I entered my info for dyndns.com

After hitting save, I get a message that it's been enabled, and will update every 5 minutes.

Simple!

EDIT
    Something is screwed up. It's not updating my WAN IP like it should. Instead it's updating the LAN IP of the server 10.0.0.10. I'll have to find a work around for this.

Ok guys, it's working now. Damn zoom x5 modems. I finally got it bridged, and put my linksys modem back in the loop. Here's what I did wrong on the server side. I told the server to update only the LAN IP address, when I really should have told it to update with the WAN IP address. To top that off, my zoom modem/router wouldn't forward the packets properly which is why I bridged it and put my linksys back in.

So NOW, feel free to go to http://sgtm.homelinux.com all you want. It's really lacking in content, but I'll fix that later. I also have a phpbb forum up just to play around with. I might change that to yabb. We'll see.