Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux web server with Squid Proxy

^ Soon to be one. Computer-Geek's Avatar

Default Re: Linux web server with Squid Proxy

Once i get a hd and a usb wireless card for my old comp i'm setting it up as a server using this guide
    - Computer-Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Computer-Geek View Post
    Once i get a hd and a usb wireless card for my old comp i'm setting it up as a server using this guide
    Cool. I'm glad you like it. Let me know if you have any questions.

What's the next cool thing to add? Content management. I installed Drupal this weekend.

**EDIT**
    I should add that installation couldn't have been easier. As I'm coming to understand though, it can be a little difficult to get used to. For now, I'll just play around with it for testing purposes. Hell, this whole progress is for testing purposes.. lol. Enjoy kiddos.

My thoughts on Drupal. Pain in the ass to learn. I started talking with my bro in law about a site for his new band. I want him to be able to add and edit stuff, and he's a little computer stupid. So, I changed content managers. Goodbye Drupal.. hello Joomla!

I'm not impressed with Drupal. I hear Joomla and Mambo are the ones to run with. Have to let us know yr experiences Rick

I've never heard of Mambo. I'll have to check that one out. Here's the site I put up in about 20 minutes. Joomla is actually VERY easy to work with. It took me that long to put the site up because I had to search for a template I liked, and had to design the header.

+rep CB.

EDIT
    Just logged in to the mambo demo. It looks EXACTLY like Joomla.

Site looks good. Were all the graphics in the template or your own? EDIT: Reread your post and I see the header is yours. Doh!

Templates and how to configure/tweak/mash them seems a common issue/grudge with CMS - it's beyond me right now. I've played with the css on one a bit and that's all.

If you are going to have forums either with mambo or Joomla you can use SMF which is really nice forum software and has stock bridges available for both to share user data with the CMS. It's got lots of add-ons and a big and growing user base.

It's fun building sites +Rep back hehe

So, I've had a couple days to play around with Joomla a little. I'm having fun playing with all the templates available.

Joomla is now the front end of the site. A friend of mine has a video card for me, so the proxy side of the server will be getting tweaked probably after Christmas. After that, it will be mail server time.
    http://sgtm.homelinux.com

Quote Originally Posted by SgtM View Post
    The Goal:

The kids are getting their own computer here at the new house. I only want them to access certain sites, so I need a proxy server.

Solution:
    Build a linux box running squid so I can restrict access.
    My oldest daughter is almost 5, and I've been thinking of doing this very thing in an attempt to keep her safe when I give her a computer, which will probably be soon considering how often she wants to play on one. At first I won't give her internet access at all, and slowly introduce sites that will be available.
    My goal in life is to earn enough money to enjoy the lifestyle that my wife and kids do.