Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plexiglass, Acrylic, Polycarbonate

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

Default Re: Plexiglass, Acrylic, Polycarbonate

i have to kindly disagree. ive cut 2/16" acrylic VERY easily with out any woble or cracking. i just clamped down the piece beneath a large piece of wood every tight against a study work bench and made sure anything didn't vibrate. i have a variable speed jigsaw so when i cut it didnt fuse back together or cracked.

and yes ty is THE plastic king, no doubt about that.
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

- Regarding a scroll saw
    1) I think the strikes per minute is twice less less then on a jigsaw, but I really have a limited money source. So tell me what do guys think about this one?
    2) Is a scroll saw good on curved AND straight line cuts?
    3) Is it too loud? =/ I am going to work on a balcony of my apartment. Don't want to bother my neighbors, but if it is the only best option f*ck them =)

- Regarding hole saw
    1) I understand that cheaper it is, faster it will brake, but is this good anough for wood/acrilic? link to ebay
    2) Is there anything else I need to attach it to a regular hole driller? Or everything is in the box?

- Regarding table saw
    1) I appreciate your replies tybrenis, but a decent one is way too big, expensive, and probably loud too.
    2) I don't think it will cut curved lines too, and I do have some ideas for tribal designs (not too complicated ones, but still)

- Regarding sanding/polishing
    1) can some one explain me how do I wet sanding?? I only did it dry =)
    2) what do i use to polish? how do you call that tool

- Regarding jig saws with lasers
    1) It is not useful on curved lines, but what about straight lines? Does it help on straight lines?
    2) I do plan to use something thicker then 1/4" acrilic sheet. Jigsaw will do?

- Based on all the facts i think jigsaw will do best for me. Especially if i use it like elbarto241 (keep in mind that I am going to use sheets of acrylic thinker then 1/4".

I think this is turning out a good topic for beginners that want to work with wood/acrilic (like me) =)

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

regarding that holesaw on ebay, looks like everything you need is on that kit [good price too].

wetsanding is just the way it sounds. submerge your wetsanding paper in water and wet the piece of material you are going to sand. just make sure you have WETsanding paper, not the regular kind.

about flame polishing most people use a small butane torch. THIS should help

and you shouldnt have any trouble cutting think acrylic as long as you use proper clamping and a right blade.
    Last edited by elbarto241; 09-03-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: more info
    Intel Pent D 2.66Ghz| 2Gigs| 18x DVD-RW| 200, 40 GB| 550W ATX| Zalman 9500

Wetsanding is easier with a few drops of dish soap. Makes it glide nice.

A scroll saw will cut curved lines. Probably better than anything else you'd be using. That's exactly why I'm looking into one. I need some good curves.
    RIP Bucko

Remaining questions:

- Regarding a scroll saw
    1) Is it too loud? =/ I am going to work on a balcony of my apartment. Don't want to bother my neighbors, but if it is the only best option f*ck them =)

- Regarding hole saw
    1) I understand that cheaper it is, faster it will brake, but is this good anough for wood/acrilic? link to ebay
    2) Is there anything else I need to attach it to a regular hole driller? Or everything is in the box?

- Regarding table saw
    1) I appreciate your replies tybrenis, but a decent one is way too big, expensive, and probably loud too.
    2) I don't think it will cut curved lines too, and I do have some ideas for tribal designs (not too complicated ones, but still)

- Regarding sanding/polishing
    1) can some one explain me how do I wet sanding?? I only did it dry =)
    2) what do i use to polish? how do you call that tool

- Regarding jig saws with lasers
    1) It is not useful on curved lines, but what about straight lines? Does it help on straight lines?
    2) I do plan to use something thicker then 1/4" acrilic sheet. Jigsaw will do?

Thanks guys! you are really helping me!
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project
    - ExtraBlue Project [NEED YOUR HELP AS OF NOW!!!!]

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Welcome to TBCS.

This statement is for both Jigsaws and scroll saws. VARIABLE SPEED! If your going to spend the money for a tool spend the extra and get the variable speed model, they allow the tool to be so much more flexible (you can use for metals, thicker stock plastics and woods, and get better surface finish.) This makes your money go farther. A scroll saw can be a bit loud, normally it's not the saw it's the saw vibrating on the work bench or table... to cut down on that glue down some old thick mouse pads to the bench then put the saw on top of it.

I've used a jig saw to cut all kinds of stuff that people have told me can't be cut or can't be cut well with a jig saw... With plex I've cut 1/8 and thinner with no problem. I'll take a jig saw over a dremel any day of the week for plex. Now when you get up to 3/4" + the on;y way to cut it is a table saw! anything else it just welds it's self back together. Now for fine details, and tight turns you can't beat a scroll saw. Straight lines are tough with both a Jig saw and a scroll saw , the blades are very thin and very narrow, there made for turns and such. I'm not sure a laser would be that much help..but I've never had a fancy jig saw with one.

The hole saws you've shown, will cut round holes (got a set myself..you can get them from Harbor freight for $2.99 on sale) but there will be a hole in the middle from the pilot drill, and the hole isn't always perfectly round, and they like to wonder allot.

wet sanding is done just like dry, you just need water (a couple drops of dish soap) and wet sanding sand paper (has a cloth back and the sand is glued on with glue that doesn't dissolve in water). I just put a couple inches of water in a tub big enough for what I'm working on (kitchen sink works too), get the item and the paper wet the start sanding, just remember to keep wetting the paper (it washes the grim out the the paper and lets you sand with fine paper longer..and keep a smooth finish).
    Polishing you don't need a tool just some plastic polish and a cloth....and some elbow grease. Then buff it out.

Good Luck,
    CrazyBillyBob

Thank you very much!
    If any one got anything else to say or give a few useful hints I would always appreciate it!

Once again, thank crazybillybob!

Edit:
    I would give you one more +rep just for that -> Harbor Freight, but I can't since forum system does not allow more then one rep per person.

One more question!
    - Is there anything that a jigsaw can do that scroll saw can't?!

My father thinks it does, but he is not sure. So he is thinking about getting both =)
    and it is very possible even thought I don't want to spend too much on this. check it out.

it is the same jigsaw i seen on ebay
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92772

and twice better scroll saw since it has variable speeds and 0 to 45 degree cut
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93012

I think it is a great price and tools are treaty deacent.

I just need to know what a jig saw can do that a scroll saw can't

thanks
    Last edited by ervand; 09-05-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: adding info
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project

nothing is here, sorry. =)
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Biggest plus for the jigsaw... It's portable, and if you know how to use it you can start cutting without pre-drilling a pilot hole (normally only done in wood).
    With a good quality blade (I'm going to toot Bosh's horn again..They cost more but they are worth every penny, they last longer, cut cleaner and give you better control!) You can use a Jig saw to cut Steel, and thicker aluminum. Scroll saw can cut 1/8" aluminum well but the blades are so small and thin that they over heat and break when cutting steel or overly thick aluminum. Jig saws do a bang up job on cutting paneling (like cutouts for outlets and gang boxes, etc.)

Is that good enough??
    Glad I could help you out.

CrazyBillyBob

yeah you did big time,
    all the other stuff that I was planing to buy (just didn't talk about it here) is there for a smaller price, so I am buying everything i planed to and even more

Since I am spending less then I thought I would and the jigsaw is only $20 - I think I will find some use for it =)

Thanks again.
    Finished:
    - Eluminator Project
    Started:
    - Cutty Sark Project