Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: STAGE 2 - new mobo still problems... but different ones!!

Default STAGE 2 - new mobo still problems... but different ones!!

ok well if anyone follwed my first post (HERE) and remembers the huge wealth of info i got (computers 101), it i had a mobo crap out on me. had a computer shop and i guru freind of mine diagnose it. both said mobo. Ok so i bought a new one and a freind of mine's dad put it in for me. he works for a tech company and has been fixing and building computers since the 70's. This is the first computer that didn't fire right up after he did the swap. Here is what it does. you turn on the power supply, hit the power button, then everything turns on like it should. but the mobo just beeps in rapid style... think machine gun. but never sends signal to monitor so i hav nothing to work with. ok so maybe we did somehitng wrong...so we unplugged everything one by one and in between each thing we took off we plugged it back in and hit the switch with the same problem. Untill we got down to... a brand new motherboard.... my old proccessor... and a psu.... same thing happend. maybe.... just maybe its a psu.... so he grabbed another one and put it on... nope same thing.... so its either a dead proccesor.... or a bad motherboard.... or am i forgetting something. ill wait here and discuss with all of the geniuses on here, but i know its hard without the thing in front of you to go... you idiot plug this in here not here... if it becomes to hard and no one on here can figure it out without feeling it in person i have some thing im gonna sell on ebay and use the money to take it to the computer store here in town. Either way ill be sure to post up the results on what i/they/whoever finds so that the next noob like me can come along and find it.

Thanks for all your guys help in diagnosing this thing... i really feel like im getting close... just not there yet. Hope you guys can help. Thanks.

Default Re: STAGE 2 - new mobo still problems... but different ones!!

Ok i've been reading up on motherboard beeps, and it looks like i need to count how many beeps i get. The highest number i see is 11 and im pretty sure it beeps more than that but ill check and repost. I was thinking after some reading it could possibly be RAM but one of the things we did was pull the ram and boot up with the same problem. but i may try to run one each individual ram chip... edit to add i dont have a static cord... how should i go abouyt doing this?

Austral Alien

You don't need a static cord. Just touch the case first to earth youself and discharge any static you have, then pull the RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

That and for the beep codes, just find out what BIOS you have and visit their website, they should have a list of what they mean on there.

OT: Bucko, you have 11 bars? Wow... /OT

ok i will try that here shortly... does this sound like a logical solution?? maybe ill get more feedback after i try that first... one step ata a time.
    Oh, how do i find out what bios i have? is that something that should be in the packet of info for the motherboard? its a foxconn if that helps.... note not a direct replacement for my asus but several third parties said it would work.

if the beeps are consistent in speed and tone then what I recommend is turning off everything.
    As bucko said, touch some part of the metal case before handling anything inside. You said you checked the ram. Did you try booting the machine with no ram in it?
    If not, I highly suggest you try that! IF you do that, you should not be able to boot into bios. You will hear beeps. If these are the same beeps as you currently have, please report back. If they are different beeps, again report back. If you get no beeps, you have some other problems. If you want to do a bit more before reporting back and waiting for a response, after all your tests are done put in one stick of ram. Make sure it is firmly connected and snapped in and try to boot the computer. If it still will not boot, and beeps turn everything off, pull it out, and install another stick(provided you have another). Again make sure it is firmly clicked into place. Try booting again. If you have success with either ram sticks, then boot into windows on the single chip and do a proper shutdown after you decide everything else is ok. Then proceed with the next ram set.

I hope that helps, and it is clear enough. You've got some **** luck that it still aint working, and I'm sorry to hear!
    Let me know what happens.
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

sorry i didn't make it clear. After full assembly it had the problem. We unplugeed drives tried again, unplugged HD tried again. Unplugged front connections tried again, unplugged graphics card tried again, unplged wireless card tried again, took out ram tried again. kept going till it was just a motherboard with no success. we then tried another motherboard. kept doing the same thing. Yes beeps are constant spacing, constant tone. i never tied just one ram chip in but i figured my bases would have cover that option.

i will try the ram thing you suggested tonight... i think i might have shut things off after the beeping started on the 8th + attempt. but ill try what you said and report back. thanks again for all your help so far friends... i think im getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by bflanigin View Post
    ok i will try that here shortly... does this sound like a logical solution?? maybe ill get more feedback after i try that first... one step ata a time.
    Oh, how do i find out what bios i have? is that something that should be in the packet of info for the motherboard? its a foxconn if that helps.... note not a direct replacement for my asus but several third parties said it would work.
    turn on the computer and press the pause key and it should tell you the bios info at the top, if not hit space and wait until it's about to change to the next screen then hit pause and it should be there.

you can see it here at the top Bios v6.00 or something (first line)

CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

ok well alexander first...
    i pulled one ram boot and beep again. replaced and pulled the other one same thing. so no change whe i did those. i also switched their sockets and tried again with no luck.

i dont get a monitor feed... so i dont think that you solution will help much but i will definatly remember that for the future.

by proc im gonna guess processor. yeah its the 775 socket. hmm interesting that you mention the thermal paste we didn't have any when we put the board in but the guy said it would be plenty. however nothing has time to heat up... i would say that after i hit the on button, the beeping starts within .25 to .5 seconds. i dont know how comfortable i am trying to reset the proc in the hole the builder did it twice and the shape only alows t to go in one way... i guess i will try to reset the proc tonight unless any more suggestions come up.

ok ill go get some today and put it on tonight when i reset the proc. I will advise on the results. Any more ideas for me to check when i open up the big black box tonight?

ETA: thanks guys for all your help i know you don't have to help a non computer savvy person and i appreciate you taking you time to help me.