Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: STAGE 2 - new mobo still problems... but different ones!!

Default Re: STAGE 2 - new mobo still problems... but different ones!!

from pchell

hopefully it is NOT an AMI BIOS. Only info I can locate on 10 or 11 beeps:

10 Short BeepsYour problem lies deep inside the CMOS. All chips associated with the CMOS will likely have to be replaced. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard. 11 Short BeepsYour problem is in the Cache Memory chips on the motherboard. Reseat or Replace these chips.

Restating what Minty said: No paste? YIKES! Trust me dude, it does not take long for a proc to heat up. I had a bad bracket for a CPU cooler once, it was slightly lifted from the CPU, and after 3 seconds of the PC on, the BIOS said it was at 87C and climbing . That eventually killed the chip. And that was with fresh paste.

Well, my only suggestion is make sure the RAM is in all the way. It can feel like it's in, but not be. If all you're testing is the PSU, CPU, mobo, and RAM, it has to be one of those. Sorry man, I'm no good at diagnosing anything without being there :/.
    RIP Bucko

ok well i went out and bought some paste and reset the PSU and put everything back on with a grain of rice sized paste and made sure the cpu cooler was on tight. still same problem... but at least now its safe. any new ideas

Well this is starting to get a bit more interesting.
    I am definately going to have to ask you to count, and describe the beeps you hear as best you can. While the following list is pretty good, there are other warning beeps and codes. So if you do not find your solution on the list or it does not solve the problem let me know. But please do your best to identify which warning you are getting.
    One other thing I would like you to try for now. Unplug your hard drives, take out the ram, unplug your video card, basically all I want to have power is your processor, the heatsink fan for your processor, and your motherboard. Start up the machine with just those essentials. Make sure your video card is also removed. Please describe what beeps you get from the computer then. Most importantly if they are the same as with everything plugged in. I'd hoped we could have tried that before re-seating the processor, but I was a little late on the reply. And While you are at it, record what you plug in (one by one) start up the machine and record any beeps/warnings. Until everything is plugged back in. At which point you will have the same issue you are having now OR it will hopefully work. But if it still is not remedied we will have compiled a nice list of what causes what in your system.

I hope that makes sense, if not PM or leave a message! I believe we are a lot closer to a fix than you think.

1 Short Beep One beep is good! Everything is ok, that is if you see things on the screen. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMM's and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard are bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on.
    2 Short Beeps Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.
    3 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above.
    4 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above. It could also be a bad timer
    5 Short Beeps Your motherboard is complaining. Try reseating the memory and rebooting. If that doesn't help, you should consider another motherboard. You could probably get away with just replacing the CPU, but that's not too cost-effective. Its just time to upgrade!
    6 Short Beeps The chip on your motherboard that controls your keyboard (A20 gate) isn't working. First try another keyboard. If it doesn't help, reseat the chip that controls the keyboard, if it isn't soldered in. If it still beeps, replace the chip if possible. Replace the motherboard if it is soldered in.
    7 Short Beeps Your CPU broke overnight. Its no good. Either replace the CPU, or buy another motherboard.
    8 Short Beeps Your video card isn't working. Make sure it is seated well in the bus. If it still beeps, either the whole card is bad or the memory on it is. Best bet is to install another video card.
    9 Short Beeps Your BIOS is bad. Reseat or Replace the BIOS.
    10 Short Beeps Your problem lies deep inside the CMOS. All chips associated with the CMOS will likely have to be replaced. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard.
    11 Short Beeps Your problem is in the Cache Memory chips on the motherboard. Reseat or Replace these chips.
    1 Long, 3 Short Beeps You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.
    1 Long, 8 Short Beeps Display / retrace test failed. Reseat the video card.
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

all the above/below applies to AMI BIOS only. What is the motherboard ??? then we can identify BIOS type

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderH View Post
    1 Short Beep One beep is good! Ev ...

ok... alexander i will start from the top of your thread... the beeping does not stop. They are short and very quick hardley any spacing in between them. Picture tony montana on the steps of his mansion with a mobo speaker... They do not stop... i found that info above and tried to cound... i stoped at 27 because the numbers had too many syllabals for me to keep up with beeps. I hit the psu switch then front power button and beeping starts and doesnt stop untill i turn off the psu... im not really liking the fact i may have to leave it on for a long time but i can do that... longest i've kept it on was probably... 30-45 seconds.

ETA: This weekend i can try to take a video of it and post on youtube and give a link if that would help?

i may not have made it clar but at one point all i had plugged in was the PSU to the mobo and the proc fan. same problem. I then reassembled one by one peive by peice. wirless card then graphics card, then usb stuff, then front connections, then hard drive, then other drives ETC untill everything was plugged in. We attempted to boot after each peice was installed. with the same result so i think i've done that step you asked me to do. if you think i should re-do it i will....

it is a foxconn... all i remember is it was a socket 775 p35a ddr2(i think) i could find the link if that would help... it was 139 from newegg.

honestly i know how i fried my mobo i wouldn't be too surprised if i fried the proc too... diagnosis is hard though... i have a laptop that the hard drive crashed on and it has a 775 socket proc(i think.. its a pentium4) i may swap after all options are exhausted to see if this fixes... but fear not i trust all of you and i will only do this when this thread is long forgotten with no solution. Hopefully we wont get there but uh yeah

hey thanks for all your help, and alexander thanks for the encouragement. This is one of many things piled up on my life right now so encouragement helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bflanigin View Post
    ok... alexander i will start from the top of your thread... the beeping does not stop. They are short and very quick hardley any spacing in between them
    it is a foxconn... all i remember is it was a socket 775 p35a ddr2(i think) i could find the link if that would help... it was 139 from newegg.
    1. stop turning it on >>>>STOP<<<<.
    2. DO NOT MAKE A VIDEO
    3. post the link

we need to know exactly what mobo it is to know what that beeping means

4. STOP TURNING IT ON (IN CASE THAT WASN'T CLEAR)

got it no more turning on.

link to the mobo is here.

right just from that newegg page I see the review below that tells me this mobo can be a pain. I can not access the foxconn downloads page to see what the bios beeps mean (can someone help here???) but I do think we may if we are lucky solve this quickly.

1. follow the steps in the description below to clear the CMOS:
    the jumper is near the battery. do this with the power cord unplugged but leave the battery in. leave the jumper in the clear CMOS pposition for ten seconds or so then return to normal.

2. plug in and power on with nothing but the mobo plugged in and see if you still have the same issue

3. report back

from newegg reviews:
    "Other Thoughts: The reason I wrote this review is to let fellow purchasers know of 2 issues I had assembling my PC around this motherboard. First, shortly after installing XPsp2 my PC would no longer boot. The 'problem' LED on the motherboard lit up and the machine would not start. It behaved as if something was wrong with the powersupply. Had to clear CMOS (move jumper from pins 2&3 (normal mode), to 1&2 (to clear bios settings), then back to pins 2&3. Then go back into BIOS and correct settings."

Very short and very fast beeps?

Is your keyboard plugged in? If so, is there a stuck key?

I've tried to catch up as best I can on this thread, but I didnt notice anywhere if the keyboard was unplugged or plugged in during startup.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro