Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: STAGE 2 - new mobo still problems... but different ones!!

Default Re: STAGE 2 - new mobo still problems... but different ones!!

Hey flan

no worries was hoping it had solved the problem and you were busy enjoying the computer !! Don't rush, take your time. School is important.

ok well i did it, i unplugged the computer powercord and unplugged everything except the motherboard to the PSU. I then pulled off the jumper and moved it over to the other pin counted to 20 mississippi and then replaced and powerd up. Same Issue.

however i noticed somthing strange...ill try to layout what i see...
    this is how it appeard on the mobo the text was there and everything except the pin and jumper are representative.

Normal 2-3
    Clear 1-2

JUMPER
    pin pin pin
    CLR_CMOS

Now.... to me, i would say that right now the jumper is on pins one and two... but regardless i assumed that the two it was on were 2-3 and moved it over....but is it possible the mobo was assembled with the jumper on the wrong pins? What would happen if i tried to power on my computer with it on the wrong pins? (just to check) ... if this doesn't make sense let me know and i will try to clarify.

but ignoring that whats the next thing to check?

Well I can say that I have never tried to boot a computer with the cmos jumper shorted. and frankly I'd rather not take my machine apart just to try. I will check around and see what issues this will cause if I can find anything. I would however expect that it would fail to boot as you would have either way too much power flowing through cmos or none at all. As I am pretty sure it is controled solely by battery. Hence when the battery dies you get plenty of issues, well atleast you used to. But thanks for the update flan, and we will let you know as soon as we have some more information.
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

Quote Originally Posted by bflanigin View Post
    ....but is it possible the mobo was assembled with the jumper on the wrong pins? What would happen if i tried to power on my computer with it on the wrong pins?
    Some mobo's ship with the cmos jumper inthe clear cmos positon to save on battery life.

If you fired up the PC with it on the wrong pins not much would happen ... depends on the motherboard ... you might get a continuous beeping sound ....

Guess what I'm going to suggest .. if it looks wrong try moving it to the other side and turn on... but as I have said before all this should be in the documentation you got with the MOBO (might be on a disk in PDF format)

ONE Last thought .... You do have the four pin CPU power supply plugged in as well as the 24 pin ATX supply to the motherboard - right???

ok the mobo is set up to use a 24 pin but my psu only has a 20 pin. and it is connected. and the 4 pin CPU supply is pluged in... again the outlet on the mobo actually is a six but it only goes in to four of the connectors. similer to the unused pins on the mobo for the PSU.

I may be able to get some pictures up of the inside of the computer. ill try but dont really have free time till.... maybe thursday? my RA job requires me to work desk which has a computer so yeah im limited on response time. and the library is on the other side of campus... plus 4 400 level classes... free time is hard to find. But this weekend at the latest ill get some pics of the setup together.

if i missed somehting to adress let me know. Otherwise im going to try to move that jumper and boot it again. and report back.

well i just tested moving the jumper to the other two pins then booting up. Nothing not even the mobo came on. however i noticed that the light on the mobo goes off when i turn on the computer... is this normal??

if not ignore and re-hypothasis

One idea just popped into my head, probably nothing seeing as you've tried a couple of PSUs, but some come with dual voltage switches on the back to select the correct voltage depending on the country that they are being used in (the ones I've owned in the UK do anyway). Am just thinking, check that the correct voltage has been selected for where you live in case its being loaded with either too heavy/light a load.
    'All I know is my gut says, "Maybe".'

mine is currently on the same voltage as it was when the old mobo was installed.... i want to say 115....

Flan

My advice to you: take your mobo, proc and ram to the local computer store.

Tell them you think your PSU is the problem. Ask them to test by plugging it in to an appropriate power supply. If it works buy the power supply. If it doesnt they will probably have a helpful tech who will help you diagnose this issue.

I really think it is the PSU not up to the job. Either that or you have fried the proc with your experiments. But, you are not reaching resolution here so that is my advice.

CB

NOW A SHOUT: WHY OH WHY HAS NO ONE YET CHECKED THE BIOS CODES FOR THIS MOTHERBOARD? IF I WASN'T IN HOSPITAL I'D HAVE DONE IT GUYS - AND I HAVE ASKED LIKE THREE TIMES FOR SOMEONE TO PLEASE HELP OUT AND DO SO BUT YET WE HAVE NO BANANAS. here are some bananas by way of appology for shouting:

ok well im not going to be able to afford that untill... october or november or so, so if anyone has any ideas for me to try untill then please let me know i would be more than willing. i guess the big thing im looking for would be how to test a CPU....

thanks for all your help and i can guarentee i will report back incase anyone else has this problem in the future... or you just want to be more intelligent