Thread: Bicycle Modding (light help)

Default Bicycle Modding (light help)

my friends and i are throwing together a pimped out bike. I want to put under-glow on it. Now, i has a bar or red LEDs out of an EXIT sign from my old school (shhhhh). It is connected by a norm lightbulb thingy connection.

now, i need to rig up a way to power it by battery, and im a little stuck

i will post pics when my camera is finished charging

Default Re: Bicycle Modding (light help)

The led bulbs from exit signs (I have a few here) are setup to run from AC power. Your best bet would be to pick up a bar of LED lights in the automotive section of your local Canadian Tire or Walmart. If you get a string that runs on 12v, it's easy to pop it open, and replace the resistor to run on 9v. Then, just hook up a square battery, and away you go!

1 ultrabright LED on a 9v battery is good for 150+ hrs continuous use... 12 LED's should still be good for a pretty significant amount of time, but I dont know the exact number.

*edit* At the local dollar store here, I found a cheap LED light to use in closets and such, that has 3 ultrabright white LED's and runs on 3 AAA batteries, cost? $2 each.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

and what if i was dead set on using the exit sign lights? is it possible?

EDIT: oh, and i forgot to mention, the lightbulb-like screw can come off and it give me two (+ and - im assuming) strange connections

They may not be the same bulbs that I have then.. the exit sign bulbs I have are soldered together, and dont come apart.

Is there any serial or part numbers anywhere in/on the bulb? That would help us find a schematic for them, and find out if they can be run on DC power or not.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

this is EXACTLY what it says on it

Emergi-Lite
    Snap-I-C
    Input 120VAC 60Hz
    Watts 2.65
    Time Base N/A
    Date E7
    LR97770
    LB0084
    Made in Canada

oooook

Lets assume that i dont was to use the lightbulb style connection.

what would i need to do to battery power a bar of 30 LEDs?

OK as far as the sign, you would need a power inverter of some type, and those usually arent small. LEDs generally dont take much electricity to light up, so you could in effect, take a "mag light" and modify the frame of the bike to hide the tube of the flashlight. then, it would be a simple matter to solder on a bit of wiring and connect the flashlight to the LED strip. might look for a mag light with a switch to save battery life when you dont need the lights going. I would just get a LED strip from the local hardware store or automotive and use that.
    Last edited by Bucko; 09-20-2007 at 10:27 AM. Reason: my kid hit the mouse while i was typing LOL

I didn't know I can put a custom title Dilphat's Avatar

wow 30 leds? wait what do you mean by bike? like a regular peddle bike right? if it is dang.
    Do origami to calm yourself when something doesn't make sense or fit! haha, if all else fails get the paper you folded and burn it for no apparent reason.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Not to steal your idea, but that'd be sweet on my BikeE recumbent bike... get some pink neons or something, lol. jk UV cathodes or LEDs would be great under there, give it the illusion that it's floating or something at night time.