Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive Review (On PC)

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Review: Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive Review (On PC)

My friend let me borrow the drive for a week to play around with and review it.

Purchase:

He purchased it from Newegg for $179.99, but it is now $169.99. Here's a link.

Specs:
    -Adds HD-DVD Functionality to an Xbox 360 or Computer
    -Sleek design matching the Xbox 360
    -Comes with a Media Center Remote and King Kong HD-DVD

Unpacking:
    I unpacked and installed his player once he got it in the mail. The box itself is high quality and simple. Shows you everything you get inside and is easy to understand. Once you open it you find the manual, CD, King Kong and pamphlets covering up the cardboard (?) holder. Now you'll see the drive to under several wires in green plastic bags. It was easy to open everything up, and the items were well packed, absolutely could not be damaged in transit.

Setup:
    Installing this on the PC is as easy as it gets. Plug the drive's power cable into the wall and its USB into the computer. Windows Vista found the drivers for everything all by itself.
    Sadly that's where the easiness ended (for me). If you don't have a HDCP monitor and Graphics Card you will not be able to use this drive without the following program. You will need Slysoft AnyDVD. That strips all the protection from the drive (which is not illegal as of yet), and allows you to play HD-DVDs (or blu-rays) without HDCP hardware.
    Needing AnyDVD or not, the next step is to get a program that can play HD-DVDs. Sadly there are only two out right now: Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 7 and Intervideo WinDVD Premium 8, neither of which I like. There are no HD video "decoders-only" out right now, so you'll have to get a hold of one of those.

Build Quality & Use:
    The drive itself is very high quality. In fact, it feels just like an Xbox 360, go figure... The only real complaint I have about its quality is the drive tray and bezel; they just don't feel as solid as the rest of the unit. They are only available in white right now, so if you have a black computer (or a 360 Elite) and you want it to match, you're out of luck. It also comes equipped a 2-port USB hub on the back to plug in all the rest of your devices. Lastly, it has nice rubber feet so it will stay still and not ruin the surface you place it on.
    When I review use, I am not going to have it biased by the terrible functionality of PowerDVD or WinDVD. The unit itself is simple to use, and the included remote works exactly like a normal Media Center Remote. Windows Vista was made with these in mind and recognizes when you insert a disc and gives you the usual Autoplay options. In fact it just works like a normal disc drive. In terms of performance, I had no problem running movies at 1680x1050 (Check system specs in Signature). Very smooth video with no hitches, even though its just a USB connection.

Picture & Sound Quality
    Boy, when they say "The look and sound of perfect", they're not exaggerating by much at all. Watching "King Kong" or "300" in HD is amazing. As I said, my monitor handles 1680x1050, which is close enough to 1080HD for me. I also have a set of Logitech's Z-5500 5.1 Digital Speakers to go with that. The HD discs take full advantage of both of these, though the video is much better than audio in comparison to DVDs. I was so thoroughly pleased with the quality, and I am definitely thinking about buying an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray Drive in the near future.

I tried my hardest to get some screen caps of the movies themselves, but PowerDVD just wouldn't let me: I tried everything.

Conclusions
    The Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive is a great addition to a computer if you don't mind having an external drive. The picture and sound quality of HD discs is amazing, I was absolutely blown away. For $170 you can't go wrong. I'd highly recommend this unit to anyone looking for HD-DVD functionality on their computer. Just to let you know, my friend was equally pleased with his experience with this on his Xbox 360. I am just waiting for someone on here to mod this into a 5.25" drive bay!

Pros:
    -Decent Price
    -Great Picture Quality
    -Smooth Video
    -Does not overheat
    -Great Disk Drive
    -Integrated USB Hub
    -Solid Construction

Cons:

-Drive tray is a little flimsy
    -Very loud (for a disc drive) during use
    -Lack of players to use the drive
    -HDCP and/or the measures taken to get around it

Ease of Use and Installation: 7
    Build Quality/Appearance: 8
    Performance: 8
    Picture/Sound Quality: 10
    Overall: 8.25

-Indybird

Default Re: Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive Review (On PC)

Another great review Indy +rep

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I think the Elites might (unless they just have a bigger HDD) and they might be coming out with one that does, but the original ones just have a DVD drive.

I didn't know I can put a custom title Dilphat's Avatar

i think it was the core that had the barebones. and no hddvd. im not really sure. while the more expensive 360 version had the hd dvd built in. and the elite. it's black, with moer hdd. not really sure though. haha
    Do origami to calm yourself when something doesn't make sense or fit! haha, if all else fails get the paper you folded and burn it for no apparent reason.

None of the 360s ever had an HD-DVD drive built-in. There was a huge rumor about the Elite having one, but Microsoft released without one. Microsoft actually said they don't ever plan on integrating it.

-Indybird

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Money whores, oh well... it would be cool if they had an HDDVBVDVD with like five or so of the older Xbox games on it for sale... but that would be redundant as you can just use Xbox games, lol... meh.

is never gonna give you up Elenril's Avatar

Sick review man, as always. It almost makes me want to go out and buy one for myself. +rep

EDIT: Looks like I have to spread it round a bit, I owe you a rep.

Click for my dA page

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Never leave a bright orange case outside. Magpies will attempt to gang rape it.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    I would have understood the price for the 360's if they had something other than a standard DVD drive.. Now it just seems that much more ridiculous...

-J
    Yea your telling me. Its why I still don't have one. Why would they not integrate the HD-DVD drive when PS3 has built in Blu-ray? Oh thats right, money makes the world go round. ...even though they have the bulk of the gaming community.

But then again, the PS3 is pretty pricey compared to the 360. But the PS3 is also more powerful than the 360. GAH! Why don't they all just come together and build one giant super computing gaming console and call it done for the next 10 years?? lol

>>>
    Found this on Newegg. Xbox 360 for $349 with built in HDMI. Does that make it HD? I'm confused. Whats HDMI?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16868105002
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Yea your telling me. Its why I still don't have one. Why would they not integrate the HD-DVD drive when PS3 has built in Blu-ray? Oh thats right, money makes the world go round. ...even though they have the bulk of the gaming community.

But then again, the PS3 is pretty pricey compared to the 360. But the PS3 is also more powerful than the 360. GAH! Why don't they all just come together and build one giant super computing gaming console and call it done for the next 10 years?? lol

>>>
    Found this on Newegg. Xbox 360 for $349 with built in HDMI. Does that make it HD? I'm confused. Whats HDMI?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16868105002
    HDMI is a new connection that combines (Up to) 7.1 Audio and HD Video in one cable. It allows you to do 1080p over 1080i using Component video.

If microsoft integrated the HD-DVD Drive into the 360 and made it $75 more, that would be perfect. I'm sure they'd still be making like $50 profits on the drives...

-Indybird

Is awesome

Xbox360 output HD games, but on DvD's rather than HDDvD.

Mocrosoft likes your money. A lot. They would much rather make you pay for something later rather than make their product functional right off the bat. But they can do that. They're microsoft.

Such as with the pocketpc program for vista. To input any data in the computer (addresses, phone numbers) you're supposed to have to buy outlook 2007. 50 more bucks for the big name.

They're doing the same by adding the HDDvD afterwards of the release. I'll bet they start releasing games on HDDvD and you'll have to buy the drive to get any of the new stuff.

Which is why once ATI starts putting drivers for their cards on linux, i'll switch. I hate to feed the pig.
    You love my sig.