Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobra-matic : Retro Bakelite Phonograph

Default Cobra-matic : Retro Bakelite Phonograph

Ahh new work log! Retro-freakiness continues.

This one's going in the books as: Project Cobra-matic. Its a mod based on 1951 Zenith H664 Cobra-matic phonograph. Behold the Bakelite goodness.

This is probably the largest piece of Bakelite electronics that I've found next to a Bakelite TV. It measures10"x16"x20" and is made from very heavy quarter inch Bakelite. I'm pretty excited about this one.

So much so, I forgot pics during the tear down. This is what it looked like before I started(From:www.radiophile.com)

I'm mostly interested in the case not the record player. Interestingly enough, I was able to flip the record player mechanism on eBay for more than I paid for the whole phonograph. EBay's a funny place.

The plan? This is a gaming, performance PC, not too cutting edge as I want to keep it as quiet as possible. I considered water cooling but am going to stick with air. Although I do have a wicked brass and copper fire extinguisher or a copper toilet tank float that would work as cool reservoir. So yeah, like Retromod, brass and copper will play a part as will more "tube-punk"accents.

Hardware specs:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 965PDQ6
    Processor: Intel Core Duo E6600
    Video Card:XFX GeForce 7950GT
    Memory: Corsair XMS2 2GB
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12 550
    HD: WD SE16 250GB
    Cooling:
    Thermalright XP-90C CPU Cooler
    Antec Bigboy 200mm fan
    Nexus 92mm fan

Hardware pics:

The pic shows the Thermalright 120. It had to be swapped out for the 90c after I saw all the copper on the motherboard.

Yowza it's big. This will provide the primary air intake after some modding...of course.

That's about it for now. I'll be time sharing with Retromod but thought I'd share a little of the excitement. :p

Default Re: Cobra-matic : Retro Bakelite Phonograph

Really Diggin' this!
    I will be looking foward to seeing how it turns out.

ATX Mental Case

Oh what a cool "Case" I hope you are going to keep this looking as 'stock' as possible. Have you considered a laptop style DVDRW?
    You can get slot loading ones, that would hide away nicely, on this excellent case.

Good luck

Ouch!

Wow that 'case' has alot of modding potential. Would be cool to see a fan behind that huge dial on the front. Or even a vertical CD drive with the disk spinning behind it.

Hope it goes well.

My Worklogs: Reality Bytes / Flux

Thanks for the feedback! I'm excited to get on with it.

I'm going to try to keep it as original as possible on the exterior. I like stealthy "found-object" mods too. I looked that maximzed appearance and minimized guilt for the modding but after the experience of not cutting the bakelite on Retromod, I'm a little more relaxed about it now. It'll never be a phonograph again likewise for Retromod on the radio but I love the design of these things so exterior-wise not much if anything noticeable will change.

Inside there will be changes, mostly out of necessity. The case is huge but the space is configured wrong for the motherboard. Check Makro Specials and Pick n Pay Specials. The record player is supported on 4 3 inch "legs" that eat up half the vertical height in the case. They'll be encouraged to leave with the help of my dremel.

The CD/DVD is a bit of a problem. I've got a full size drive and a slot loader that I can mod. I'd love to try this:

Imagine, push the cd eject, the lid raises with an exposed cd. Put in a CD and the lid closes.

My plan is to install the Bigboy behind the grill. Major fan hacking underway.

But....ever have a moment where an idea is so obvious that you get pissed you didn't see it first?

This is the feeling I got when I saw this in DrumThumper's post the other day. Datamancer (www.datamancer.net) is a steampunk madman. Checkout his other mods.

So, Xperiment, yeah this is what I should have though of but it'll be the bigboy back there and the lift kit on the lid for the cd.
    Last edited by DaveW; 11-21-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Love the idea for the 'lift lid' CD, kinda retro meets techno, hell you could even invent a new musical genre whilst your at it lol.

Will defo be watching this one +rep.

My Worklogs: Reality Bytes / Flux

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Looks like a cool found item mod. I like it.

Also it's good to see you have Paul's book.
    Need a sig

Default Re: Cobra-matic : Retro Bakelite Phonograph - Bakelite despoiled

Thanks Simon and Xperiment.

More for your viewing pleasure:

A little sketch-up mock-up to explain where this is going. The motherboard and case aren't exactly right but for sizing it'll work. I may need to flip the motherboard around and move the PSU back further in the case to fit the DVD drive in the front.

The case from the outside. It had about 6 inches of clearance on the inside before modding with the top of the video card just grazing the lid.
    (These pictures were taken after the carnage)

The original phonograph turn table was mounted about 2-3 inches above the floor of the case on bakelite standoffs. I'm guessing for airflow(?) reasons.

With a dremel cutoff wheel, I removed the standoffs to open the case up.

With the standoffs in place the PSU and video card were sticking out of the case.

After the dremeling, much more room. The metal is cool perforated steel that I found awhile back. It will eventually be brass plated (along with the front bezel) when I've figured out the final place for everything. Needs some primer tho...I can see surface rust in the pic.

The front bezel - the gold/brass plating is wearing thin in a few places. It's pot metal underneath.

Default Re: Cobra-matic : Bigboy goes on a diet

Remember this fan? It's an Antec 200mm

Turns out the fan was about 1/2-3/4" too wide to fit behind the bezel. The cover wouldn't fit back on. After I dremel'd the outside housing ring off, it fits with some tweaking. I put a thin styrene skin around the outside edge to even it out. (Note to self: White putty melts styrene if you put too much on.)

Ready for painting..,

The Bigboy has a 3 way switch for 980~1720 RPM, 34-60CFM, 20-32 dba depending on the switch position.

Here it is after paint. The fan blades were painted with Fusion brown, and dusted with black, and panzer grey. The housing was painted with fusion Brown and then coated with textured Rustoleum. The color is autumn brown.

I put a piece of copper contact paper where the Antec label was.

To mount it to the bezel took some trial and error.

To hold the screen on the bezel, it has posts for friction nuts that I just threaded. Then I tapped nylon spacers to hold the screen in place.

And to have a place to mount the fan. Sometimes the simplest answers are the best.

The fan mounted

From the front, it's shifted down about 3/8 inch from dead center due to space.

Which pics are better for worklogs? The bigger ones or the smaller ones in the previous posts?

Default Re: Cobra-matic : Where a PSU mount is made

PSU mounting bracket made from 1/2 aluminum angle and aluminum modder's mesh. (How do you like my simulated fan grill? It helps me remember which side is which.)

I'll either paint it black or a red primer color like the front bezel screen. The angle is one piece notched and held together by JB Weld type epoxy.