Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G92 = 8700gts

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: G92 = 8700gts

No, I said that ATi's going to release one hell of a beast. It'll tear the 8800Ultra to shreds without even breaking a sweat. Why do you think they haven't released a seriously awesome card in about two or three years? They've either got somthing up their sleeves or they're about to fold.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Is awesome

What can shred an 8800 ultra?

If it can, I can't wait.
    You love my sig.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Well, think about it though. If ATi merely releases a card that's about as powerful as an 8800, nVidia wouldn't have much more of an incentive to release new cards, because the ATi card will probably be huge, a powersucker, and expensive.

But if they release one that decimates the 8800 (Lets say it can run Crysis at full at over 60fps, dual 8800Ultras only put out something like 36fps), then nVidia will need to make a massive move to stay on top of the market where they've comfortably been for the past few years. Having been on top of the Videocard game since the 7800 came out basically, nV won't let ATi take the title easily.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Sorry Omega, I misunderstood your post but I still go by what I said. When AMD release something new that's when we will start to hear about Nvidia's new monster.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I bet Nvidia already have something up their sleeves too, just in case ATi dose try to attack them with that.

I still think I'd go for a 8800GTS when I get round to upgrading my system cause even if ATi unveil some kind of superpower of a GPU it would probably be rediculously expensive, especially if it was double the power of 2x 8800s, simply because if it was that powerful everyone would want one so they could charge high prices. Depends how much you'd want to future-proof your system I guess. Agree with The Boy though, nVidia have no reason to release a new one yet seeing as they have no real competition atm.
    'All I know is my gut says, "Maybe".'

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    No, I said that ATi's going to release one hell of a beast. It'll tear the 8800Ultra to shreds without even breaking a sweat. Why do you think they haven't released a seriously awesome card in about two or three years? They've either got somthing up their sleeves or they're about to fold.
    They already have. The 2900XT came out not too long ago, and kicks the 8800 Ultra's ass in higher resolutions. The only problem is that it takes a minimum of a 700 watt power supply in most cases. The 8800 Ultra is better at lower resolutions than the 2900XT, though.

Slightly cheaper, also.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Reviews I've read say that the 2900XT beats the 8800GTX not the 8800 Ultra. Unless you mean the 2900XTX (currently loading up a review or 2)
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    They already have. The 2900XT came out not too long ago, and kicks the 8800 Ultra's ass in higher resolutions. The only problem is that it takes a minimum of a 700 watt power supply in most cases. The 8800 Ultra is better at lower resolutions than the 2900XT, though.

Slightly cheaper, also.
    From the benchmarks I just saw, it beats the Ultras in Crossfire. But that's against one Ultra.

And from the other benches I saw, the XTX isn't holding its own either (but this could be crap, since (?) it isn't even out yet). I guess we'll see though, but either way, Nvidia is my next card.
    RIP Bucko

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

The first card I had was an ATI (9550) I then upgraded to an Nvidia 6600GT AVG slot (replacement from system manufacturer, the 9550 blew up lol) and in my new build I have an 8800GTX. There is one very big difference I noticed between the 9550 and 6600GT and that was picture quality. On the desktop and watching DVD movies with the 9550 it was perfect, crystal clear, the 6600GT is pure crap. That would be my only regret to getting the 6600GT, oh and the fact that I cant play any game with the heap of crap because it freezes and I have to reset the computer. I'm not taking any chances with this build though, 8800GTX, maximum power
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08