Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bios update

ATX Mental Case

Default bios update

maybe you guys can help me when I try to update my bios it says no boot signature found in the bios file and won't let me update

Default Re: bios update

Jim

what is the Mobo? you updating via windows or dos based diskette? do you have a choice of methods?

Matthew

ATX Mental Case

well it's a striker extreme (/me kicking myself) there is some utility thst cmos based that I tried and then I tried the windows based one. Both failed I guess I should try making a boot disk and going the good ole tried and true method.

That was going to be my suggestion. Haven't yet met a windows based one that works lol .... though,yes, I am certain there are some out there that do - before everyone jumps on my back.

Dude...totally!

Before wasting a bunch of time messing with the files you have downloaded and tried already, I would just start fresh. Double check model/revision/version/etc. of both your MB and the files you DL. (Note: I've noticed that BIOS filenames for different MB models from the same company may be the same, but should certainly not be considered interchangeable). It might not flash if the files are wrong, and if the files are wrong and it DOES flash...you might get a glitched post if you're lucky, allowing you to hopefully try again. though, you may get no post at all...

As for windows vs. DOS for flashing...id stick with DOS, but thats more superstition i guess. though ive never actually even used windows for flashing BIOS, my older, wiser geek friends have had freak accidents, mishaps, and even simple mistakes resulting in damaged/dead/corrupted BIOS(though only involving pcs before '02 for some reason) if you chose windows, i would be sure your rig isnt OCed at the time, just as if you were installing windows. then again, id take every precaution, cuz it couldnt hurt to.

on a side note, i just realized i havent had the need to flash any BIOS for any of my pcs in quite some time now. if i ever needed to, i dont honestly think i even own a working floppy drive, nor any discs for one, lol.

I wonder how bad vista could screw up a BIOS flash attempt...:p

ATX Mental Case

well I tried vista and that was why I thought a bios update might be in order so I tried XP and something isn't right hardware wise because nothing works I have a feeling it's this damn asus mobo I wish I could return it for a evga but I don't think so. I think next week I'll order the evga and take a baseball bat to this hunk of crap. I've never had so many BSOD in my life. and as for overclocking well thats another sore subject. everyone says you need to overclock the OCZ maybe thas the problem. I dunno but I am frustrated.

ATX Mental Case

Woohoo I finally win I just got a wild idea I registered my product on asus's website and that made availible the correct bios that would flash. I flashed the bios and all was good in the universe. What a pain in the neck oh well. maybe now vista will work ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Woohoo I finally win I just got a wild idea I registered my product on asus's website and that made availible the correct bios that would flash. I flashed the bios and all was good in the universe. What a pain in the neck oh well. maybe now vista will work ok.
    Coolio ... but what a dumbass set of hoops to make you jump through. Glad it's sorted. onwards and upwards May your vista install run smoother than a recently shaven camels backside.

Funny thing is, I mainly use Windows BIOS flashing, I hate dos. And it seems to work fine for me since I just flashed my motherboard to F6a. Took a little bit of tweaking to get my overclock back (mainly because I forgot to change the RAM settings) but it's all working fine.

btw, I've only had experience with Gigabyte's windows flashing utility.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

ATX Mental Case

while were on the subject do you think its worth it to flash a 680i board if everything is working? also, how do you check what bios you currently have?

btw, I've only had experience with Gigabyte's windows flashing utility
    I toasted a gigabyte motherboard using their flash utility, though it was my dumb fault for not checking the revision number.