Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project: Page 5

Default Project: Page 5

For real this time. The case arrived in the mail today, and I promptly disassembled it. Plexi is on its way, so I have a few days to cut out all the fan grills, sand, and repaint it all.

Here's a couple pics of the case. I chose the new Coolermaster 690. I like the power supply at the bottom and all the mesh on the front, though it will be changed a lot.

The (short-lived) case in it's stock form.

The bottom vents for the PSU and an extra fan (the case came with a filter for this fan port)

Dual top 120mm vents. Not sure how because of tight clearances, but I want to try and fit a dual 120 rad in there.

The square opening has a mounting plate for yet another 120mm fan. This fan blows across the HDD bay, which is mounted sideways. I will probably cut out a lot of the HDD rack to allow better airflow.

The rear 120 vent, with pre-cut water cooling openings below it. These came with rubber grommets installed, but I already removed them.

I have many more pics of the case on My Site. I may reference them from time to time, but I dont want to burden the thread down with too many pics before I've cut even a single piece.

Default Re: Project: Page 5

That thing holds a lot of fans. lol

Good luck

-danthegeek

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Quote Originally Posted by danthegeek View Post
    That thing holds a lot of fans. lol

Good luck

-danthegeek
    "what nice fan holes u have grandma"

"all the more to water cool with my dear (evil laugh ensues)"
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

Pics to follow when I've done more work. So far, though, I've cut out the top two 120 fan grills and the plastic mesh under the metal mesh. My pics didnt show it very well, but the top two 120's had to blow upwards through 3 layers of blocking material. Not any more. However, I dont think the 120 rad will fit up there, so I may end up with a different rad layout. The slimmest rad I can find is the 34mm Swiftech, but I dont think it will fit between the top panel and the mobo. I plan to recycle some old components to test-fit.

Back to the jigsaw and dremel... (Already burnt through 4 reinforced cutting wheels on my dremel)

D'Oh

Try on of these: link

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

It looks like (from the bottom vents) it was meant to lay on a hard surface, not carpet as you get loads of dust from carpet... CoolerMaster makes nice cases though, I'm happy with mine.

Thx for the link dgrmkrp.

One last comment, with regards to a radiator. Is it acceptable to put the fans on top of the radiator with the rad on the intake side? With the case placement I have, the only place to place the fans would be above the rad. If I had to, I could make them as intake sucking air in from the top though. As it is, I'm going to need to find some slim fans, as standard 25mm fans are just a tad too tall.

Been a while, so a few updates.

The red plexi should be here from estreetplactics in the next couple days, and the radiator, 140mm top fans, and some UV stuff should be here from Performance-PCs in the next week.

In the meantime, I've been busily dremeling and jigsawing away at the case. The case is steel, so I've burnt through many many of the dremel disks LOL.

Top fan grills removed, as well as the one below the PSU fan at the bottom.

Top and front panels with the plastic grills removed (these are hidden under metal mesh anyways.)

The grill for the fan that mounts behind the mobo... removed.

You can see where I began cutting out the middle of the HDD cage to allow improved airflow from the front fan.

And the pile of parts LOL.

I've got plans for that plexi... hopefully I ordered enough.

would the rad in the top not fit if you put fans, or rad on the outside and made some mod to those... so they would blend in? otherwise like the projekt^^ and please do something more about that hdd cage they are so ugly -.-
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

This is the cuts I plan to the HDD cage. I'm leaving enough room for 2 drives on the bottom (raid 0 OS drive) and one on the top (storage drive).

As for the rad/fans on top. The rad will squeeze in below the metal top. The 140mmx20mm fans I ordered will just barely fit on the top, under the plastic upper housing and metal meshwork. The fans will be covered, but the lights will shine brightly through. The most extensive changes to the case will begin once I get the guts ordered.