Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building A computer into a mini fridge?

Overclocked

Default Re: Building A computer into a mini fridge?

You know i was just thinking about this. Would their ACTUALLY be an issue with condensation with this mod? When i put soda cans in the fridge there is no condensation on the can or nething in the fridge for that matter. Its only once the soda gets cold and then approaches hot air that there is an issue with condensation. Ill go research the properties of condensation in a minute but from my observations condensation only would be an issue if the computer was COLDER then the fridge.

EDIT: I read more on condensation.
    Condensation is formed on cold surfaces not warm surfaces. It occurs when warm air meets a cold surface. I believe this mod might be feasable I would of course test it. I was considering this mod a while back and thought about heating up some mettle with a torch placing it int he fridge to test.

From a quoted source:
    Winter condensation occurs on the inside of windows, while summer condensation occurs on the outside of windows.
    This points out that only the colder surface gets the condensation.

So you may just want to go through a few tests. I dont kno if it will be the cooling you are hoping for but its always funto try something new

Spaceroach

Talking Re: Building A computer into a mini fridge?

1. Buy beer fridge.
    2. Install liquid-holding tank. Fill with nonconductive mineral oil or that Fluoro Stuff (expensive, made by 3M).
    3. Immerse all hardware except for disk/optical drives in the tank.
    4. (optional) Put a copper can full of liquid nitrogen on the CPU and overclock to insane speeds.
    5. Put beer in remaining space.

well, technically you're only going to get condensation if there is moisture in the case (and since there is moisture in the air, it WILL be in the case)...

SO... if you managed to seal the case completely and were able to remove all of the moisture from it, then you'd be able to avoid condensation altogether i would think?

i love science, but usually i manage to overlook something. (i guess that's why i only get 2.0s in any of my physical science classes) sXenoG you seem to have a very good grasp on the subject, think that sealing out any moisture would actually work?
    http://images.gruntville.com/casegallery/album299 Gort, it's built in an ammo box!
    http://www.x-mail.net/bigfoot/ <- my random stuff

ATX Mental Case

all you owuld have to do to remove the moister is hook up a compressor or air pump. Find a way to get the compressor to take the air out of the fridge. Then on the line going back into the fridge put one of those moister removers that you get use with paint guns. Let the compressor run for awhile then unhook and sel it. You would have to do this for awhile and repeat the process everyonce in awhile. But this would create n nearly completely dry environment. Also Xeno is right in saying condensation only forms on colder surfaces, so there would not be condensation on the mobo. However seeing as how the air is a medium between the mobo and the frigde wall the air might heat up faster than the wall and condensation might accumulate on the walls to the point where it would begin dripping on your mobo and other various parts.

Overclocked

I thought about the condensation on the walls youd have trouble witht he cieling but if u made standoffs far enough you shouldnt have an issue like i said youd want to run tests. No idea what you could do about the ceiling.. Could be quite an isue and you may ALSO wantt o keep your psu outta there cuz my psu pumps out enough btus to raise my room temp between 2-4 degress depending on whether my ac is on

ATX Mental Case

Overclocked

thats pretty cool lol

CrimsonSky's book talks about refrigerator cases, damprid, and spray on conformance sealant called Konform that is used to seal a motherboard to moisture.

It's under the section titled with brazen and imprudent (Page 243). Just pimping da book.

Wow it sounds like building a mini fridge case would be hard but fesible (And by the way that link was really cool). And thanks for all the info, amazing as it may seem, some of you know more then me!

SCotty

wow i was just about to start a thread about this like a couple days ago, but some1 beat me 2 it, damn oh well at least i know it could be done.