Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Audio Decoder

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Default Best Audio Decoder

Oh boy, I had just listened to some 320kb/s MP3 Audio on Foobar using some Foobar audio plugins. It was nice. The problem is that I'm a MS fan boy and love Windows Media Player to no end. Does anyone know of a really, really nice audio decoder? I compared the two and the clarity of the Foobar decoder is amazing, brings new life to my already clear speakers. I understand that integrated HD audio is also holding me back in quality but I already noticed a difference in just changing decoders. For now that'll have to do. Please help, I am destroying my ears with the default windows decoder.

Thanks,
    Indybird

Default Re: Best Audio Decoder

I"m a foobar fan also! I use an external M-Audio USB soundcard with supports 24/96 output, so I use the ASIO drivers (bypasses windows kmixer completely), and "Secret Rabbit" upsampler.

The output is un-frickin-believable.

Check out either FLAC, or APE encoding for true audio nirvana.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I"m a foobar fan also! I use an external M-Audio USB soundcard with supports 24/96 output, so I use the ASIO drivers (bypasses windows kmixer completely), and "Secret Rabbit" upsampler.

The output is un-frickin-believable.

Check out either FLAC, or APE encoding for true audio nirvana.
    Thanks for the reply but Im trying to keep with Windows Media Player. I'm looking for an decoder for WMP that bypasses Windows Kmixer.

Thanks,
    Indybird

Fresh Paint

question: what sound card do you use?

For now Im using integrated HD sound. I'll be upgrading to a Razer Barracuda Card sometime soon. I know its sux, but I can still tell the difference between audio programs. For now, a decoder fix/upgrade/whatever should help a little bit. I need it to make WMP bypass the windows sound thingy like other audio players do so that it sounds better.

Thanks,
    Indybird

Fresh Paint

if your serious about wanting good music... http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/731/ would be the best you would ever spend your money on... 1600.00 is alittle pricey for a computer based sound system imo.

also here are some reviews on some wonderfull sound cards that have been considered worthy enough to be reviewed by Stereophiles: http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/

prepare to spend 300+ for a good audio card but it's the best money you could ever spend imho... your software is only as good as the card it goes though, get good software and a good card and everyone will think your Paul Klipsch

i'm looking at the Razer and it seems like a very nice card, but i personally don't like the host of features, if your listening to music you want as few as features to keep from cluttering up your musical imaging, but then again i'm not too concerned with game audio but decent enough specs although i would like to see some actual chip set numbers and tolerences.

Sorry for the thread jack, but how could I get better sound out of my system?

I'm running a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and Logitech Z-5300es. Like Indy, I'd like to keep to WMP, because I just like it...

Thanks guys... I'm no audio guy (except with guitars) so any help is much appreciated.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by carvernut View Post
    if your serious about wanting good music... http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/731/ would be the best you would ever spend your money on... 1600.00 is alittle pricey for a computer based sound system imo.

also here are some reviews on some wonderfull sound cards that have been considered worthy enough to be reviewed by Stereophiles: http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/

prepare to spend 300+ for a good audio card but it's the best money you could ever spend imho... your software is only as good as the card it goes though, get good software and a good card and everyone will think your Paul Klipsch

i'm looking at the Razer and it seems like a very nice card, but i personally don't like the host of features, if your listening to music you want as few as features to keep from cluttering up your musical imaging, but then again i'm not too concerned with game audio but decent enough specs although i would like to see some actual chip set numbers and tolerences.
    thanks for the recommendations but Im not an extreme audiophile as it seems like those "stereohphile" guys are. Don't get me wrong, I want nice sounding music and I can tell the difference. I've tried different audio decoders and I noticed some sound much better, so I want to get one of those better ones working with WMP. Im simply looking for a way to get better audio out of WMP by changing software.

Thanks,
    Indybird

Well, to bypass the Kmixer, you would need to use ASIO drivers.. they may or may not be available for your hardware, but it might exist.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack, but how could I get better sound out of my system?
    I certainly wouldn't consider this a thread jack .. probably better than starting another on essentially the same subject. I'm trying Foobar when I get home. Luke *knows things*.