Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Audio Decoder

Default Re: Best Audio Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack, but how could I get better sound out of my system?

I'm running a Soundblaster Audigy 2 and Logitech Z-5300es. Like Indy, I'd like to keep to WMP, because I just like it...

Thanks guys... I'm no audio guy (except with guitars) so any help is much appreciated.
    Guitars hey? I've got an Ibanez Iceman ICX-220, and a Fender F-65 Acoustic.

Back to the "better sound" question.. the ASIO sound drivers almost certainly exist for the Audigy... I would start with that. This will allow the output to bypass the Windows Kmixer and prevent it from "messing" with the sound.

Next, ensure that the audio cables from the card to the speakers are clear of any power or data cables.. if they must cross them, try to have them cross at right angles.

Perhaps the most important thing: speaker placement. Keep both right and left channels an equal distance from your ears, and approximately at ear height when in your regular listening position. Try to keep them both the same distance from walls as well, to ensure output is the same from both sides.

If possible, try to get your speakers either mounted to a wall/desk, or onto some heavy stands. Also, good speaker wire can make a huge difference.

Umm.. other than that, get Foobar, and grab a couple of FLAC or APE files to try it out.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I've got a Dean '79 Flying V and a Line 6 Spider III 120W amp.

I Googled "audigy asio drivers" and a Creative site came up saying it ships with them.

I downloaded Foobar though, and with PanelsUI and FofR, I don't think I'll need WMP anymore . Thanks dude, +rep.

Edit: After I spread it around though .
    RIP Bucko

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Oi, I have found out that there is no current way to use ASIO w/ Windows Media Player, even though I can use ASIO w/ my integrated sound.

Oh well, we'll see what I can do...

-Indybird

ATX Mental Case

google "asio for all" it pretty much works with any setup wether it's compatable or not, it's all software...

as for the rest, if you're really hardcore about it, you may be able to use the resource hacker prog that Xcom posted about many moons ago and try to fudge your way into the wmp resources and change it's default mixer/input/output

I mod everything I touch. Indybird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mysteriphys View Post
    google "asio for all" it pretty much works with any setup wether it's compatable or not, it's all software...

as for the rest, if you're really hardcore about it, you may be able to use the resource hacker prog that Xcom posted about many moons ago and try to fudge your way into the wmp resources and change it's default mixer/input/output
    yeah, Im using ASIOforall, so maybe I'll try that resource hack. Could you kindly find that post for me?

Thanks,
    Indybird

I'm going to look into this as well, as Foobar is too processor intensive for my work laptop. I'd stick with Winamp if the output was as good..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro