Thread: Plexi Screws

Default Plexi Screws

Hello all,

At least a year ago I ran by a thread that had to do with creating plexiglass screws. They were screws made entirely from plexi, I believe they were hex-head. After some searching I've been unable to find the thread again.

Could anyone point me in the direction of some information on making these screws? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Plexi Screws

Hello 10100111001!

I don't recall the thread you're thinking of, but for making plexi screws, you would probably just need an acrylic rod, and a tap set. Take one of the dies from the set (that gives screws threads, not the ones that thread holes) and twist it through that. It would thread it, and you could probably find a way to make a hex shape at the top (that I'm not sure about).

Hope that helps man, I'll search for that thread though.

Edit: Sweet, turns out I pretty much had it right. http://www.modders-inc.com/how-to-story--9.html
    RIP Bucko

You seem to be stood on my tail... Helix666's Avatar

I could probably guess how to make the screws, but I wouldn't know how to make the hex head.

You would need either a lathe or drill (to turn the plexi down) and a die of the diameter and thread that you would want.

Maybe you could make the hex head by drilling the head with a drillbit slightly smaller than the hex-head that woud would want, then heating a hex-head screwdriver bit and put that into the hole to melt the head into the shape you want.

/me is still trying to think of a better way to do this.
    Last edited by Helix666; 09-13-2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Awww... I types slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by gntlkilr
    warranties are meant to be voided.
    Turns out, they'll let any idiot with a wrench work on hydraulics.

Thanks Maleficus, that was the link I had seen all that time ago.

Meh, I was hoping to use those in my case project, though they don't particularly look sound structurally.

What do you think about putting together a case using those kind of screws? I think it would make it too weak at the points where they were used. Also if they were to crack somewhere and left the threads behind I'd have to drill the rest of the screw out and potentially damage the edge of the plexi sheet (I've had bad luck with drill wandering).

Guess I'll have to just live with the metal screws showing.

You could always use some pieces of acrylic as braces inside the corners and joints, and use acrylic rod as "dowels" to hold things together (no threads, just pressure fit).

Should be pretty sturdy, but no threads to strip/drill out; all rods would be press to fit.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I don't know if you can do this, but perhaps make a cast of some existing screws, then simply unscrew them from the cast (have to be normal round head screws), and then maybe pour in some melted plexi, and wait for it to dry. Then simply etch a screw "X" shape into the top and unscrew it from the cast. And there you should have a plexi screw. If you want it hex-head you should carefully sand it down to the shape.

Hope it helps, but I may be wrong