Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC.

Default Re: Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC.

I have cut out the piece to insert into the lid but I have yet to cut out the storage and speaker holes. I have the lid outside covered in paint striper and the mosquitos are to bad to work any further. Ill post some pics tomorrow morning or sunday. I am a bit busy tomorrow evening.

-danthegeek

OK, this is for the slect few that believe I am some type of dark elf.
    http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m.../mypicture.jpg

See, I told you I was human. Although my girlfriends picture taking skills could use some improvement. Blasted me with the flash.

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Quote Originally Posted by danthegeek View Post
    OK, this is for the slect few that believe I am some type of dark elf.

See, I told you I was human. Although my girlfriends picture taking skills could use some improvement. Blasted me with the flash.
    Nice try Dan, but your girlfriend told me that you photochopped that pic. Thankfully she was kind enough to send me the original...

"At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Now that the site is back up, time for an update.

I cut out the piece for the underside of the lid. It tuned out good enough, it even snaps right in.

Then I made the bracket for the speakers but, I decided not to go with a storage bay yet. I really like the idea of the gauges and I dont want to mod myself into a corner.

Then the camera died so there are no pics of me attaching the metal plate, hinges, cutting, blah blah. I just couldnt wait for the camera to charge

This is where I stand so far, everything primed and some areas painted black (inside of doors, inside case, etc.)

I also need a way to latch the lid but i dont want to go with the same latches as the doors. And I dont want them to look out of place either. Hummm, I may not go with latches sense gravity holds it down and the hinges are pretty stiff.

I will finish the front panel tomorrow and start painting. I hope to be done by the weekend so dont stray to far.

thanks again

-danthegeek

Another update

I started work on the front bezel today

I got the cd rom drive opening cut out and the supports mounted

I also taped of and cut out the hole for the switch box

Then I decided to mount the MB tray into the case. I used some small rivets and some paint to finish it off

I painted the underside of the frosted plexi white. I dont want the red lights turning it pink and this was the best way I found.

Tomorrow I will cut out this piece and cut a hole in the front for the switches. This goes to the right of the switch box as shown in the previous design.

Another update tomorrow so dont go far.

Thanx
    -danthegeek

I may go with some rust once I get and air brush.

Small update.

I cut out the panel for the power/reset switches and such. I used the switch box panel as a template so they match (the one I cut out is the smaller one).

I then cut out the holes for the buttons and leds

Then some paint on them both. I also cut out a panel for the usb that will be on the side of the case.

Ill start final details tomorrow and then some paint.

thanx for lookin

-danthegeek

I got a little bit more work done today on the pc.

I started by making a support for the lid so it wont snap the other doors of when you open it. It was putting a lot of pressure on the doors so I got some small cable and put some ends on it.

Then I mounted it to the lid and back panel using some rivets. It may not look great but this was the best and simplest way I could find to do this. Remember, it has to function too.

Then I mounted the rear hinge.

I also mounted the hard drive cage using some drill screws. Its easy to detach it as long as you have the front overhanging a table or something.

The bottom shot

Some black paint. I know you may think theres a lot of overspray but I will mask off the areas I want to stay black and the green will cover up the rest.

Tomorrow some more paint and some finishing touches. I should have it finished in a day or two, as long as I am happy with the paint. The real time killer is waiting 4 hours for paint to dry before i can touch it.

OH, some hardware.

Old AMD 3700 (free from my shelf) and motherboard. Also a new sata DVD writer from newegg ($30) and a free 160 gig seagate HD. Tomorrow the 8600gt, 1 gig ram, and 400 watt Ps whould be here from newegg.

Thanks everyone for looking.

-danthegeek

Ok ANOTHER UPDATE.

something you may be interested in, paint. Yes that was my goal for today and I accomplished it, but dont let me get ahead of myself

I started by taping off the areas I wanted to stay black and threw on some primer after sanding.

Then I put on 5 layers of green so I would get a good even coat.

Well that doesent look right, too new. SO I threw on some black for the darkening and aging effect.

Then once the paint wasnt to tacky, I took off the paper and tape.

I think the black handles and black front work well with the color.

Anyways, i will let this dry a few more hours and then start assembly if I can. I dont want to mess-up the paint with finger prints and huge scratches. I dont plan on sanding any of it down to make it look more worn because I want to protect the metal.

More pics in better lighting. I also finished the front bezel. I dont know if I will paint the screws or not. The crome look gives it some contrast.

thanks for looking

-danthegeek

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    We want more pics.
    Ok, more pics.

I made some stickers for the front and also took some sandpaper to the front to give it a used look. Also some lights . Im still waiting on my red cold cathodes.

Sticker Says
    WARNING
    -Welcome to the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC Command
    Unit

-When Using this device use extreme caution not
    to exceed thrill levels your body can endure.

Thanks for all the comments, but Im not dont yet. I still need to wire and mount the speakers, make a sticker for under the lid, get my lights, finish painting grills and bolts on the front, install the Motherboard (I dont have any stand offs for the tray) and the rest of the hardware.

-danthegeek

Thank you all for your comments and compliments. I would have never gotten this far without the support from all of you.

Now, this is the part of the worklog when I start lecturing all of.

j/k , but seriously, I can never say enough to always plan every aspect of a mod. That is what makes or brakes a build.

I show you why. I knew that everything was going to fit tightly into the case and I am extremely glad I measured twice.

While installing the video card I knew it was going to be close to the power supply, but not this close. The video card has 1 mm. between it and the power supply. Yes 1mm, maybe less. lol but it is not touching it. Heat will not be an issue though because the power supply has a 120mm fan pulling air past the card.

Also the memory has about 4mm between it and the DVD-rom. You can also see the 24pin connector was a close call as well because of the dvd-rom cage.

Atleast it all fits. Now I have to see if I can get the usb working. for some reason it will not install anything properly or recognize it and I dont know if it the motherboard or windows. I may do another clean install and see what I come up with. Any ideas?

Thanks again
    -dan