Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC.

Default Re: Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC.

Well I have the hardware and software part of this mod done. The only thing left is a lot of wire management. I still have to take everything out of the case again so I can run my speaker wire neatly (dont want bits of metal in the new goods). All I need to do to finish the case is get the red and white lights and I will be done.

Question, I cant figure out how to get the usb working. Ive tried reinstalling windows, bios update, new drivers, and I still get "unrecognized device" on everything I try (mouse, keyboard, camera, flash drive, etc.). My ethernet slows down after a few minutes as well. I guess I will gave to get a usb pci card and try it out or get another MB.

Besides that, it runs games great (oblivion @ 1400 * 900 Med all day long with no lag).

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Ok, I got bored and decided to make a small slide show of the mod so far. I like it but it is only a minute long and I plan on doing a hole slide show with progress and finished video. This is kind of like a teaser.

enjoy.

EDIT- I changed it a bit

Quote Originally Posted by D1337 View Post
    does the key do anything or is it purely appearance?
    also what does the text say on those bricks o.o
    The key arms the power switch so you can turn the system on. What do you mean by "bricks." Do you mean the label, if so then:

WARNING
    -Welcome to the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. PC Command
    Unit

-When Using this device use extreme caution not
    to exceed thrill levels your body can endure.

Ok, I got a bit of work done.

I finished wiring the speakers and they work great. I ran the wire to the back and into the lid from the bottom so they are hidden when you shut it. They are nice and loud to. I will try to get a video of it once I remake that bracket that holds the speakers.

I also put in a speaker input in an expansion slot so you can plug in you ipod, cd player, pc, whatever into the speakers.

I added the mesh to the rear panel. I dont see how it will do any good sense the door has to be open to run the pc. I may make a small opening for the wires later.

I made a template and added a U.S. emblem in the rear door. I added a little over-spray to make it look more realistic.

I was wondering what your opinions on adding some handles onto the front was? I like the looks of them and that is all they would be there for. Do you think Im trying to add to much? Anyways, Id love to get some opinions to help my decision sense I cant decide.

Thanks for looking

-danthegeek

Im not sure I want to add a bunch of stuff to the sides. I think it would look weired to have a bunch of switches and gauges on the outside when the case was designed to conceal things such as that (meaning the doors). I do have a small suprise for the outside, its more of a detachable add-on, but you will have to wait and see.

I got a little bit of work done today. The first thing I did was add a support for the cover. This also help support the front bezel as well.

I officially finished the speakers by adding the hardware to hold them in.

Im still on the fence about the handles. I know they serve no real purpose but this build is about looks, not just function. I think they look good but I dont know. Heres a few more picks with a black and silver handle. Any input?

I also added a bit ore aging to the front to give it a more used look in places that would be touched a lot. Thats why there are dark and light spots in the above pictures, although they do not show it very well.

thanks again for the suggestions and compliments.
    -danthegeek

Thanks for the input everyone it realy did help in my decisions.

I did a little bit of work today. I did mount the handles and they turned out pretty good. I went with a weathered silver look. I did it by painting them black then sanding off almost all f the paint. I did this to give it a pitted and worn look and the pictures do them no justice. I like the contrast they created with the front panel. I may mist them with some black to make them look dirtier.

They are very strong to since I have reinforced the front panel. i can actually lift the case by them. I hope to my leds for the star and my red cold cathodes in a few days to finish this off,... for now lol.

I would love to have an LCD for the lid and I could just run it off of the second output on the video card. I would probably use it for music and a temp display. I just dont want to spend anymore of his money, he just bought me the video card, ram and power supply ($200 u.s.) a week ago. The screen would be another $100 ($200 for a touch screen). I dont think I can justify him spending that much money for something that is more or less a "second" system of mine. I may get one from my pocket when I get some more money (im broke lol).

AS for the door, it fits with millimeters to spare .

-danthegeek

I was thinking I could do something like this:

Then I could have the LCD (the top right) show temps of my hardware and the gauges show the voltages coming out of the power supply (12, 5, 3.3 volt).

All of this probably wont happen soon sense the contest at micro center is this weekend and I need to get everything I have now working.

-danthgeek

EDIT- the lcd would be from a ps1 because they are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Xperiment View Post
    Love the design for the LCD/Gauges. Would be nice to see some more 'missile' style toggel switches in there too.

Overall though looking great, the handles came out really nice aswel!
    Id like to use some of those gauges but I only have about 1.5 cm between the lid and the cover with the star. Id probably have to use some rocker switches on there.

I have one major flaw in my plan for the gauges though. The only ones I can find that would work are 2.5 inches in depth. I only have 1.25 inches at the most in depth so I will have to come-up with something different.

thank for the compliments

-danthegeek

The meter for the Hd activity sounds great. Ill have to do some more research and see what I can find with a depth small enough.

A small update.

I wanted to add a usb port to the front of the case but I didnt want to have it behind the door. This is so I could close the door if I had a mouse and keyboard hooked-up to it. I chose my spot on the case and this is where it is.

Is not the best looking spot but because of all of the stuff inside I was limited to placement. It was either here or at the very top in the middle (would have had to cut out the U.S. stamped area.). So, I cut out my hole.

Threw on some paint and called it finished. I may try to blend the colors better but Im not really that worried about it.

Thanks for all the support

-danthegeek

Hey everyone, ITS FINSIHED LOL. THANK GOD.

Anyways, Im waiting for it to get a bit darker so I can get some night shots and then I will post the pics. (I have to keep you in suspense )

P.S. Im posting from it as well.

-danthegeek