Thread: Selecting a motherboard.

Default Selecting a motherboard.

Well, I hate to say it but I totally forgot about this site. But now I'm back, and I'm planning on building my first computer.. Or at least my first one from nothing.

I already have my eye on a case: http://www.xoxide.com/aerocool-aeroe...plus-case.html

but im having a hard time finding a motherboard that will support my current graphic card (its AGP ). So I was wondering if anyone could help me find a nice one? I'm looking for a 4g max of ram, higher isn't really necessary. It has to be Micro ATX or ATX, like the site says - and it must be in the $50-$100 range if possible.

And another question regarding the case I have is that you can clearly see it has 7 slot things where PCI cards and such go - but all of the ATX/Micro ATX boards I have seen only have like 4 or 5? Is there something I'm not getting?

Thanks for any and all help

Default Re: Selecting a motherboard.

What socket? A, 478, something else? Can't do much without that info.
    RIP Bucko

What does the socket have to do with anything? I thought that was the thing that determines what type of processor works?

it does. we need to know that before we can pick out anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Well, I currently have a Pentium 4, 2.66Ghz - but I was thinking about getting a new one, possibly AMD. So I guess it would be a better idea to have the processor depend on the motherboard, instead of the motherboard decision depedning on the processor.

well there is a much larger selection of motherboards than there is of processors so decide on that first
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103868

That one seems like a winner to me, but then again I don't know what a lot of the things mean.

**EDIT** I'm having a hard time finding a good motherboard/processor combo that would work with my case, and my current graphics card. (Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro)

Would it be in my best interest to just suffer for a bit until I can get a new graphic card? Cause then I could just go with this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138077

and the processor stated just above.

Well seeing as how you are looking at both a cpu and a motherboard, what is your budget? Are you getting new ram? If not, what type of ram do you have?

Investing 75$ on a single core cpu wouldn't be my recomendation, atleast go for a dual core.

Exactly what parts do you want to keep/are you keeping from your current rig?

You say to worry about the motherboard more than the cpu, but we would just be picking any random motherboard if we do not have any direction.

The biggest question as I said above would be what is your budget? And I mean for the total build, not just the motherboard.

Edit: If you are looking for a nice decent dual core cpu, then this is a great one for the price
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103733
    (I went with amd 1. for price, and 2. because that seems to be what you are leaning towards).

Parts I'd like to keep:
    CD/DVD Burner
    CD/DVD Player
    Hard Drive
    RAM (2x 256's and a 512)
    Video card (Not possible, since its AGP)

I also didn't mean that I worry about my motherboard more, I just confused. But my budget is around $300, which should be able to be met.

Case: $80 (I'm thinking about downgrading to a $30 case)
    Motherboard: $100ish?
    Processor: $100ish?

But now that I think of it, the RAM from my current rig is going to have to work in the new one also, I don't know why that didn't cross my mind - Its PC2700 DDR2.