Thread: Installing OS without CD-ROM Drive

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Installing OS without CD-ROM Drive

I'm trying to install Ubuntu to replace my Windows, but the problem is, I don't have a CD-ROM Drive or a Floppy Drive. I have the image file (.iso) and I tried mounting it with Daemon Tools, but it just opens up a "open source windows applications" menu and tells me that if I want to install ubuntu that I need to boot from CD. Well, I don't have a cd-rom drive. ><

I've tried googling for help, which there was plenty of, but all the information on those sites were as good as gibberish to me.

Can anyone help me out here?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Installing OS without CD-ROM Drive

Have a look at this: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewt...install&t=2263
    I think they got it done there. Its for mint but it should work the same for ubuntu
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Easy, you can just use a DVD drive instead :p

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    Have a look at this: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewt...install&t=2263
    I think they got it done there. Its for mint but it should work the same for ubuntu
    Yea, that was the gibberish I was talking about. I don't understand the bulk of it. Don't suppose there is a monkey step by step guide of what to do is there? lol

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    Easy, you can just use a DVD drive instead :p
    har har, very funny. lol

Well, I'm on my laptop, which is technically my desktop. But whether its a laptop or desktop, its special. Since you know, laptops don't use the same hardware as real desktops.

Funny, I have two DVD drives and three CD drives. ><

I have an external HDD if that helps by the way. But I can't erase any of the info on there. But theres still like 100GB's left on it. I could wipe it clean, install on the HDD using my brothers desktop, but I don't have anywhere to put all my media. Which is like 200GB of the 320GB. So I can't wipe it clean without losing all that. ><
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

i dont know if this would work but maybe if you extract the iso to a thumb drive and boot from that
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Do a network install.

http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    i dont know if this would work but maybe if you extract the iso to a thumb drive and boot from that
    I'm pretty sure that won't work. But, if you can boot from a USB drive, just download the flash drive installer (I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has one).
    RIP Bucko

I am not sure about Ubuntu, haven't tried to install it from a flash drive, but some distro's you can, such as DSL. Well you can run it in entirety from the flash drive anyway. Hope that helps some.

I have a similar problem. The answer to my question could help you. I want to put the HD in another computer as a secondary then copy whatever I need to the HD in a way that when I put it back in the computer and boot up it goes through the setup phase, like when you get a new computer and set it up. Is there a way this can be done without being a programmer.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Okay, I got Ubuntu installed and working. But now I'm having new issues.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to install Pidgin and WINE. I've tried so many times but I can't seem to get things to work. I think I got WINE, but I'm not entirely sure. ><

The codes! THE CODES! I CAN'T TAKE IT! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Okay, I got Ubuntu installed and working. But now I'm having new issues.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to install Pidgin and WINE. I've tried so many times but I can't seem to get things to work. I think I got WINE, but I'm not entirely sure. ><

The codes! THE CODES! I CAN'T TAKE IT! lol
    Nvm, Finally getting the hang of it. ...5 hours later. lol