Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My CCFL and Mobo pinouts

Fresh Paint

Default My CCFL and Mobo pinouts

Help! My mobo has two pins for the HDD activity light, but my CCFL has three pin holes! Where do I plug this in and how, if I want it to blink with HDD activity?

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: My CCFL and Mobo pinouts

question: does it have 3 pin holes and two wires? Or, does it have three wires?
    if it has 2 wires, you can just cut the housing in half to fit it into single pin mode. If it has 3 wires, then you got me. I've never seen a hdd led with 3 wires b4. Sorry if this doesn't help.

If the CCFL has a switch with 2 wires then replace those 2 wires with a 3v relay. That should work. If you don't understand, just say. I've got my dog tugging on my sleeve.....

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by richmandudeus
    question: does it have 3 pin holes and two wires? Or, does it have three wires?
    if it has 2 wires, you can just cut the housing in half to fit it into single pin mode. If it has 3 wires, then you got me. I've never seen a hdd led with 3 wires b4. Sorry if this doesn't help.
    It DOES have 2 wires (the middle pinout of the housing is apparently empty)... I guess my next question is how do I know which wire is + or -?

ATX Mental Case

cut from the center which would be the empty pin slot.

black or white is usually the negative. It doesnt really matter if you put it on wrong. it just wont turn on or light up if its wrong. if thats the case, just switch em around.

Remember, you can actually blow up either your mobo or your CCFL as the mobo pins do produce some voltage.

The SlackMeister

Quote Originally Posted by crenn
    Remember, you can actually blow up either your mobo or your CCFL as the mobo pins do produce some voltage.
    what he said. you can accually blow up your entire computer. this will cause your house to get on fire. just remember, be CAREFULL. if you mess up, you are fucked . so just take it easy and do what you have to.

:p :p :p

Overclocked

Its true you can screw things up. I dont kno if this one would kill the entire computer but it is plausable.

I kno that the ccfl could blow tho might take a bit but will eventually. In my digital electronics class the teach told us to never do reverse it.. So i decided to i smelled the gate burning so did my friends os i decided to stop but later i burnt out an LED just for fun since there was about 500 in that class for about 8 people

Fresh Paint

Well, the wires arent marked... anyway to test and tell other than guess and check?

ATX Mental Case

well, if you run more than 5volts through an LED(at least the ones in my class) they you pop. It was awesome! I only did it once though, however my friend ken did it like 3 times... I also blew up a diode with AC current . Electronics was fun!