Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good news for the Canadian dollar

Resident Alcoholic

Default Re: Good news for the Canadian dollar

heh Im not flaming, just reminding

A lot of brits like to bash americans for being duped into going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan... They seem to forget that we did exactly the same thing and are equally as guilty.

Just my two cents.
    H

tinfoil-underwear

It's good... reminder is for the general population... nobody in specific.
    You're in TBCS?
    You do realize we're following a guy that's the

VP of Regional Sales for
    Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids

I'm just sayin'...

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    "Opinions are like assholes; Everyone has one and they all stink."

-Jeremy
    Yeah.... nobody should have an opinion on anything which affects their lives and the wellbeing of humanity! How dare you guys voice an opinion on the people who dictate your lifestyle? [/sarcasm]

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Well... in other news, we can at least hope for someone better next time 'round. For some reason (at least on books) some products are still like $10US or $15 CAN... kinda weird. Probably a good thing I don't worry about prices of anything, just calculate it into my budget or whatever. I don't complain about gas prices, I just kind of... ignore them or something. It's like: Stop bitchin' and think of and implement something to do about it. Just my .02 Euros.

Resident Alcoholic

Point taken minty, I misunderstood your use of the quote.

For the record, I support any of our troops serving in or out of combat. It's not the conduct of the war which I oppose, it is the false pretences that our governments went to war on.

'we're going to war because he has weapons of mass destruction'
    none found.
    'We went to war to remove a fascist regime, and restore freedom to an oppressed nation'.

It reminds me of history teachers telling children that we went to war in WWII because the nazis were committing genocide when all our government really cared about was hitler invading poland.... correct me if I'm wrong there by the way.... I did a history A-level but thats about as far as my knowledge goes!

So, who wants a cookie?
    H

Edit: If the mods decide that political discussion is inappropriate, just tell me and I'll edit my posts.
    I personally enjoy discussing current events with people... perhaps this thread has been a little hijacked but I find other peoples points of view interesting, especially within a userbase like TBCS where almost everyone is very intelligent. We have such a diverse mix of people from different backgrounds and cultures, I find it informative and educational to get political once in a whole

tinfoil-underwear

Quote Originally Posted by onelegout View Post
    Edit: If the mods decide that political discussion is inappropriate, just tell me and I'll edit my posts.
    I personally enjoy discussing current events with people... perhaps this thread has been a little hijacked but I find other peoples points of view interesting, especially within a userbase like TBCS where almost everyone is very intelligent. We have such a diverse mix of people from different backgrounds and cultures, I find it informative and educational to get political once in a whole
    This is going fine so far.

Props to all of you guys.

And Mintz, my opinion doesn't stink.
    It smells of fresh blooming flowers in mid-spring on a warm breezy Tuesday summer afternoon with hints of polypiod lavanders, some woodsy aftertones, and peachy faint highlights.

Same goes for my asshole.
    You're in TBCS?
    You do realize we're following a guy that's the

VP of Regional Sales for
    Darth Harrington's Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids

I'm just sayin'...

Pearl Harbor was definitely the very big, loud, & heavy straw that broke the camel's back. The white house was very hesitant to actually instigate a war. Remember, the US was just starting to crawl out of the great depression. War is expensive and FDR was spending much of his money and effort trying to deal with current social issues internally. We still supported the Allies, but mostly in goods and trade because they needed it and we needed the money to rebuild infrastructure.

Because of proper propaganda, a massive draft, Pearl Harbor & a society willing to sacrifice what little they had, once the US entered WW2 the society worked as an amazing efficient machine, pumping out the goods needed to supply the allied forces as well as the necessities of home. Most of this work force was women. From this noticeable shift really started the women's movements in the early 50's that didn't pick up steam or gain any notice until the early 60's.

Wow, ok. Odd turn there. Anyway, I think I've had enough 10th grade WW2 class for the day.

I don't get why so many Americans bash Canada. It's a nice place, with decent people, just like America is. Treat them right, they'll treat you right. Nothing wrong with that.

Hitler invaded Poland in 39, long before the US entered.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I like Canada, and I find the version of them in South Park funny too... like that really means anything, but whatever. I'd like to go there, it's up north, possibly cooler, different culture, seems like the place to spend a few weeks bike riding or something... maybe that's what I'll do, as it's closer than Germany and I haven't been there yet.

History is an interesting thing, after I "get my **** together" I'll have to study it more, reading "For us, the living" by Robert Heinlein again and I'm seeing things I didn't, and becoming fascinated by stuff that I had forgotten about.

/OT

All canada is interesting, I've travelled it from east to west. every place have his little culture: BC is nice and cool, middle is mmm.. let's just say weird for now. the Quebec province is the greatest place in the world. and the maritime is rustic?

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

EVERYONE should read this book;
    What Every American Should Know about American History:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=FTo...+about+history
    It is an easy read and includes good information.

RE: political conversation; There are no rules specifically saying there will be no political discussion, but religion and politics tend to be near and dear to most people's heart and soul and discussions tend to become heated and emotional. So long as things do not get out of hand there is only good that can come from the discussion. This thread is doing OK so no worries about editing posts.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...