Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worn look for case

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Worn look for case

then drop alot on the case

Overclocked

well i've started painting the panels with rustoleum's rust kit. So far it's comming along better than expected. I was talking to someone about this problem with acid burning and he suggesyed some kind of brick cleaner found at most hardware stores. Anyone know how well this would work? Also my paint job so far looks promising but it still looks a bit new (even with all the rust) does anyone know any secrets on making something look really worn?

go, grap a saw, and cut wood. Then collect the dust and mix alittle in with the paint. Experiment, this adds more bumps and texture to the paint, I used it when I painted my calculator last year... unfortunatly I forgot to cover the contacts on the circuit board and I broke my calculator, but the paint looked sweet.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

My wife bought this stuff for the paint in our house. It's very fine granite powder I think it was like $5 for a few Oz of this stuff (Lowes carries it in the paint dept, Just ask the nice man @ the counter for it). When it's mixed with the paint the paint gets thicker and you get that bumpy texture, and when it dries you can get some of it to flake off and leave a divot where it was. The effect it that the wall looks like she painted over a boat load of rust!

Good luck (post some pics!)

Crazybillybob

Overclocked

Thanx for the advice billybob. I hope to be able to post pics soon but my camera is 2 megapixels (don't laugh) so I may try to borrow one so the pics can be clearer. I still really need help on acid burns for my case. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by mobileray2
    I was talking to someone about this problem with acid burning and he suggesyed some kind of brick cleaner found at most hardware stores. Anyone know how well this would work?
    The acid your looking for is Muriatic Acid is the old name for hydrochloric acid.
    The Acid you get at the homecenters is going to be about 31.45% acid, the rest inert (mainly water). This is not for use indoors!

What look Are you going for with this? You maybe better off using a torch or something else. Cause the acid is just going to eat the paint off. To get it to cut gouges and do the smokey movie thing you'd need allot stronger stuff. (you can't pick that up at the local hardware!)

Describe the look your going for (pics work too) and we'll (I'll) see what we come up with.

CrazyBillybob

Overclocked

well Billybob to tell the truth the idea i was going for was a fallout (best RPG ever as far as I'm conserned) type style for the case. Here is what i was wanting to do. I was to burn (using acid) a radition symbol into the side of my case. The case panels have already been coated with bondo and sanded down to give a very nice coroded look to them. Now they are being painted rust to add to the affect. I'll try and get pics soon, maybe that helps so far.

If you have seen the Rig of the Month for Maximum PC's August edition (Ric Smith's perforated pc) you might kinda get an idea of how i want my case to look worn. I don't want to copy him just apply some similar methods to my own.

Mobile,

I've got a basic Idea on how to weather your case (and maybe that Rad symbol). I'm meet some prop making buddies this weekend so let me talk it over with them and I'll see what I can come up with for ye next week!

Crazybillybob

Overclocked

Billybob that would be great. Thanks so much for all of your help so far and for this as well. I'm still trying to get pics up.

Overclocked

As requested here are some pics of my rig at its current status. Sorry if the resolution doesn’t turn out to be that great; I did the best I could. Also I am no photographer so the flash kind of skews the true color of the mod. A few things about my case. The case is an old E-machine's case. The case is going to house my gaming server that I will set up when I get back to college. This is my first true mod so be gentle, besides it's not even finished. The first pic is the most accurate to the color of the case the others are too bright.