Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worn look for case

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: Worn look for case

I saw the pics...I like the color very Rusty...... I still don't have a good answer for you. The best thing I could come up with would be to draw/print out the Rad symbol then adjust it so it looks like is was poured on. Then use a small ball point Dremel tip and etch the pattern into the case (with all the bondo texture you could sink it in 1/8") Base coat it the same as the case. Then take some color (I don't know you color combo) Like glowing green (could even be glow in the dark green) rub it into the etch (use a rag get it into the crevasse). then take a darker color (shade it so dark green) and get it on most of the high spot....put it dry brush style (this is where you get paint on the brush then wipe 80% of it off then start to paint with it) Once that's done you just want to weather the whole case together (mix some brown with water so it's thin and put it on , same with black)....The thing about weathering ...if you can tell it's there you've got too much on, you want it to be very subtle, let some of it run the n use a rag to wipe it off (the dark colors will get into the deep groves and cracks but you'll clean it off the high points)...so it looks like years of neglect not poured paint!

Here's a link to some Weathering Tips

I'll see if I can find a Rad symbol and show you what I mean...

Let me know if this helps!

Crazybillybob

Rankenphile

Weathering isn't hard, given an artist's eye. What I would recommend is washing the entire thing in thinned black watercolor or acrylic paint.

Washing is a technique I use on many models, where you thin the paint so that it is like water, and you spread it over the surface and let it collect in the thin grooves and cracks, then wipe the excess off of the raised surfaces. Let it dry, repeat until you get a good effect.

From there, when you do your last wash or two, run streaks down the face from where water would normally collect if it were out in the rain, for instance. Build up these streaks so that it looks like water has washed soil over a long period of time.

Repeat this with a white wash. Using Koh-I-Noor inks watered down well works quite well, I've found, as they have a good selection of colors, including white ink. You can find these at art supply shops or craft stores, some times. Also anywhere they carry quality caligraphy equipment. It is frequently used in drafting pens, also.

Wash, streak, dry. Wash, streak, dry. Let it look good and grungy.

Then, to enhance the effect, drybrush a highlight, like a light grey or ivory, or a light orange, onto the very edges. Drybrushing is a technique in which you add paint to your brush and then wipe as much as you can out. I will wipe onto a paper towel until I don't see any new paint coming off onto the paper towel. From there, lightly brush any raised surface. Your brush should leave a very faint highlight, simulating sun bleaching. With rust you won't see this much, but it would be noticeable. Look in your surroundings - go study an old concrete block, old tin roofs, industrial sites, anything that sits in the outdoors and is rarely maintained asthetically - and you will learn how they look in real life, so that you can simulate it. Observe:

Don't just take my advice, though, because you may not like the result. As always, try a little bit on a test part or somewhere you may not notice.

Hope this helped.

oooh the first pic there with the pipe really gave me an idea!!! but i need lots of stuff to start lol

Overclocked

Well I'm officially moved in here at College. Some of my pals drooled over my new case. It's not really all that great, they just haven't seen anything like it before. Hoping to get some pics up soon.

Overclocked

I promise to post some pics soon but the hurricane is going to limit this process a little while longer. Because I am here in Mobile, Alabama I won't have power for 24-48 hours.

I did this with Bondo, silver and black spray paint and a faux rust kit from Home Depot:

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/i...id=55&viewkey=

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/i...id=58&viewkey=

The texture you put on your case look sreally good..all you need to do is finess the rust paint job and it will look great!~

p.s. i hope you stay safe from the storm
    Last edited by Crimson Sky; 08-28-2005 at 11:50 PM.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Overclocked

thanx for the advice Crimson. Yeah I rode out the storm on campus and everything turned out fine except the power will be out all week. After waiting in line for 2 hours to fill up my car, I decided to migrate to my parents' house 3 hours north of Mobile (where the electricity is ). Sadly in my rush to leave I left my server so not only can I not post any pictures for an update but I can't work on it either

yea i think your case needs some more silver in it.

Overclocked

well silver has been at the top of my list of things to add and in fact that reminds me...

This may sound kind of cheap but it has worked nicely. I have found that using a silver sharpie has worked nicely. I simply high light the area I am working with then slightly wipe it with a wet paper towel. It looks great and is very easy.

Crimson, I really liked the detail of the silver on your Bio-Hazard case. I can't seem to find any worklogs on that case. Could you provide information on your methods while working on the case? (especially the silver)
    Last edited by Redbeard; 09-02-2005 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add comment.

Overclocked

update, I have finally been able to work on my case now that I have moved back to school. Pics comming soon.