40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vista

11 27.50%
  • XP

29 72.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XP vs Vista

Default Re: XP vs Vista

I should also mention that in Vista, this laptop gets around 1hr of battery life, due to the fact that I have to run it at "maximum performance" to get decent response from it.

In XP, I get almost 4 hrs of battery life! (Maximum power saving)

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I vote XP. When SP1 comes out for vista I may try again, but like always M$ charges you to be a beta tester. My main issue with vista really is not the stability or driver issue (although it would be nice if all my stuff were to work properly...), no my main issue with vista is the lack of privacy rolled into the OS. There are too many back doors (thanks to our government and business's that believe we are all criminals) in vista and too many ways of monitoring what you use your system for. Couple that with all the anti-piracy measures and you will understand why vista demands so much hardware to run properly. Visuals my ass...

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    I vote XP. When SP1 comes out for vista I may try again, but like always M$ charges you to be a beta tester. My main issue with vista really is not the stability or driver issue (although it would be nice if all my stuff were to work properly...), no my main issue with vista is the lack of privacy rolled into the OS. There are too many back doors (thanks to our government and business's that believe we are all criminals) in vista and too many ways of monitoring what you use your system for. Couple that with all the anti-piracy measures and you will understand why vista demands so much hardware to run properly. Visuals my ass...

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
    Yeah, with my paranoia, **** you M$, I'm not dealing with being spied on. All about the big bucks, eh? Whatever, I'll set up my gaming PC as one that doesn't connect to the web except for online stuff and I'll have it dual boot with XP or Linux for surfing the web, or have another PC for that good stuff. Why do they have to know every little thing about each and every one of us? A little over kill if you ask me. I may not like everything our government does, but that doesn't make me a terrorist.

EDIT: Voted XP as I don't want anything that'll degrade stuff that I obviously payed for and do not have any intention of copying and distributing illegally. I don't like being spied on, and I definitely do not want to downgrade my OS even if it involves DX10. Sorry if this seems narrow sighted, but better safe than sorry, that and I have few months to research and all before I possibly do upgrade... we shall see.
    Last edited by xRyokenx; 09-25-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added an afterthought.

Although I use XP Mainly (I'm mostly gaming) but Vista runs fine on my machine. Can't wait til Vista SP1 is released though.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I have ran both for awhile, never really got to like Vista didn't run to good on my computer so i went back to Xp and I'm loving it so i have to go with Xp.....

-Gun
    Computer:
    Cpu: AMD x2 +4600 (Oc 2.7)
    Mobo: Kn1 Light (939)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640mb
    Psu: Rosewill 600w SLI Ready
    Ram: OCZ Platinum 2GB
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred
    Hdd: 500gb Sata II

Wanna Play:
    BattleField2142: IGunDownI
    Cod4: IGunDownI
    Crysis: Chunknnades
    CSS: IGunDownI
    COH: Chunknnades

Default Press release from Microsoft

Press release from Microsoft:

"In response to OEM and customer feedback, Microsoft is extending the availability of all Microsoft® Windows® XP products preinstalled on new Direct OEM PCs from January 31, 2008 to June 30, 2008. Additionally, Microsoft will be further extending the availability of Windows XP Starter Edition through June 30, 2010, in 139 emerging markets where the product is currently available, for use in the rapidly growing class of hardware-constrained ultra low cost PCs. Due to the fact that Windows XP Starter Edition is not currently offered in China, Microsoft will continue to offer Windows XP Home Edition through June 30, 2010, for use in ultra low cost PCs. There is no change to the current Windows XP End of Life date for the System Builder Channel, other than the extension of Windows XP Starter Edition (and Windows XP Home Edition in China) for use in this new class of PCs in emerging markets. For all other Windows XP products, the End of Life date for the System Builder Channel remains January 31, 2009. "

So, MS aren't pulling XP in favour of Vista - I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Think of a way to simulate a real bullet hole, like shooting it.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Because low end systems, which seem to still be around, like the ~1ghz 256mb RAM kind (which I would expect to be abundant in like India and China and places similar) can't run Vista worth a damn. These older computer systems would be too bogged down with Vista for them to be able to do anything within a reasonable amount of time. That and I highly doubt that M$ wants these countries to write their own marketable OS or use Linux...

Hmm.. now I want to try and see what it'll take to run Vista on a p3 550.

I imagine that if you turn off all the visual crap, and the UAC, it may be usable. *note to self: test this when you have some free time*

I should mention that I"m running Vista Business on this laptop.. Centrino 1.6, with 768mb ram. It's not uber-fast, and startup time suuuucks, but the environment is very usable, and is plenty quick for daily usage tasks.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ATX Mental Case

I voted vista. I did a clean install when I bought my motherboard and never went back. I really didn't have any problems either.

Also I think you guys are being a little ridiculous with the M$ is spying on me thing. Vista’s activation is the same as XPs, and I haven’t encountered any DRM worse than XP. Plus if you think about it why would Microsoft/The Government/your ISP care what you’re posting on TBCS or e-mailing to your friends. At least thats what i think

EDIT: I saw alot of you mentioning you were going to switch to vista after SP1, I wanted to point out from what i've read vista SP1 isn't going to be anything like XP SP2 ( a whole new OS ) it's just some preformance tweaks and a roll up of all the previous patches ( so you dont have to restart 8 times )

EDIT: EDIT: :p I wanted to clarify my vote is for vista x86, i did encounter some driver problems when i tried x64

At one of my customer install sites, all of the computers except the main data server were running windows 98. A stripped down version too. The company we got the POS's from had acquired several thousand licenses for win98 just before they were discontinued. They still sell them too but only with their systems since it runs so well and is stable. The only thing that gets modified (besides trimming out the useless crap) is the TCP-IP stack since the one that came stock with win98 blows...

I expect the same thing to happen with XP.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...