• Vista

11 27.50%
  • XP

29 72.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XP vs Vista

Default Re: XP vs Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Exley View Post
    I voted vista. I did a clean install when I bought my motherboard and never went back. I really didn't have any problems either.

Also I think you guys are being a little ridiculous with the M$ is spying on me thing. Vista’s activation is the same as XPs, and I haven’t encountered any DRM worse than XP. Plus if you think about it why would Microsoft/The Government/your ISP care what you’re posting on TBCS or e-mailing to your friends. At least thats what i think
    It's not so much that M$ has the ability to spy on your computer activity, but if they want to use my data for developing future products, pay me as a market research analyst. My main beef with the whole big brother issue is that M$ _has_ put back doors into the OS specifically for someone to monitor your activity whether it be an individual company or the government. The whole thing is just waiting to be abused by someone for the gain of money.

Is it really anyones business what movie you watch on your computer or how many times you watch that movie? Or how many legal backup copies you make? No it is the whole "all users are criminals" attitude I mainly have an issue with. Check the EULA, M$ retains the right to modify anything on your computer without your prior approval. This includes disabling a feature that you may be abusing or found a work around for. If they feel your copy of CopyDVD is being used inappropriately they retain the right to make it NOT function on your rented copy of Vista. No matter how much you paid for it...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

ATX Mental Case

No it is the whole "all users are criminals" attitude I mainly have an issue with.
    I totally understand that and it infuriates me too. If you ever need to get pissed off Google bioshock DRM. MS gives windows away compaired to bioshock

Is it really anyones business what movie you watch on your computer or how many times you watch that movie? Or how many legal backup copies you make?
    No it's not but if someone was keeping this information for every windows user wouldn’t you be able to see their servers from space? That’s a lot of information.

Check the EULA, M$ retains the right to modify anything on your computer without your prior approval. This includes disabling a feature that you may be abusing or found a work around for.
    I don't have one on hand right now but did actually read it to find out how many activations I could have. I believe that clause relates to online activation where you will no longer be able to use certain features of windows if you do not activate.

btw I like how we can have intellectual debates on this forum without it turning into a flame like other forums

Fresh Paint

Seems like you don't really like Vista but you think that voting for it is the thing to do. Vista is slow, takes too much memory, and is undependable. Even Microsoft is getting worried by the slow response to Vista. Experts say there is real reason to be concerned.

Read about it here...

http://urlfreeze.com/urltrack/VistaNews/

Are you concerned? Do you agree with the experts?

My vote is for XP!

MRRB

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I use a OEM copy of Vista Home Premium and I think it is much, how should I put this, "neater" than XP. I have had a few problems though, mostly with games. I am using the 64bit version and I find that BF2142 will crash a lot and I have even had the odd crash (once or twice) with BF2, Call of Duty 2 will run but all I see is a grey screen. It is known though that the 32bit versions of Vista have a lot more compatibility with things over the 64bit versions. That all said Vista is easy to use and looks so god damed good.

EDIT: Welcome to TBCS mrrb
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Wow I forgot I started this thread lol, my 1st ever post too.

At first I absolutley hated Vista. I liked the looks and the Aero theme, but that was it. Recently I set up AOL broadband on a friends laptop (yeah, I know, AOL is bad enough) and it was a real pain. "Would you like to save or run this file..." on every single page opened. It's a decent laptop but quite often it just refuses to carry on. Good old Ctrl + Alt + Delete job and restarting explorer.exe did the trick (about 10 times).

Basically the message of this is: Don't get AOL, and if you already have AOL, don't get vista lol.

Personally however I've got vista ultimate and haven't yet installed it on this computer. I'm waiting to build simplicity first (only God knows how long that will be), and install it on that. If I hate it so much, I have ubuntu disk lying around somewhere (no, I don't hate ubuntu, but I don't think linux supports many games).

I HATED vista for the first weekl. Until everything I needed was set-up and configured and those STUPID "security" warnings were disabled. Now I love this beast. Beats the old xp by a mile when it comes to visuals, and well it seems to run plenty nice for me on this decent system of mine .

Overall I am happy with my Vista experience thus far.... That is until I have to do a fresh install...
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I picked XP. Vista just isn't the revolutionary OS that Microsoft said it was going to be. Windows 95 was a drastic change from the old 3.x operating shell. Vista just looks like it evolved from XP. Vista requires a lot more computing power to do the simple tasks that XP can do.

True true, but Vista does it in style lol.

Microsoft always seems to bring out products that are too memory-intensive than the average computer. The same thing happened with most of the OSs that microsoft have released, it's just a case of catch-up

According to my G15's LCD display at idle my computer uses about 35-45% of it's 2GB of RAM running Vista, said the same on my old comp running XP and with only 1GB RAM.