Thread: Media computer.. and sound...

Overclocked

Default Media computer.. and sound...

Ok i currently have a media center computer and was useing the built in aduio with a cable to make it left and right cable.. so anyways i wanted even better sound so i went and got a dynex 7.1 sound card with optical digital out.. and pluged it into my sony str-dg800 reciver.. and the problem is i only get sound out of 2 speakers.. and i want to use all of them

Default Re: Media computer.. and sound...

The reciever needs to be set to multi-channel mode. Also, depending on the audio you are playing, the PC may only be outputting 2 channels.

Try to play a movie with 5.1 sound, and see if the reciever detects it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    The reciever needs to be set to multi-channel mode. Also, depending on the audio you are playing, the PC may only be outputting 2 channels.

Try to play a movie with 5.1 sound, and see if the reciever detects it.
    i did try a moive and it didnt work.. the computer seems to be only puting out 2 channels any idea how i change it?

Go into your control panel and into "Sounds". Select 5.1 speakers in there, and you should be in business.

In Vista, go into Sound, then click on the "configure" button on the bottom left. On the next screen, select 5.1 from the list, and then you can test it. It's pretty much the same on XP.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Go into your control panel and into "Sounds". Select 5.1 speakers in there, and you should be in business.

In Vista, go into Sound, then click on the "configure" button on the bottom left. On the next screen, select 5.1 from the list, and then you can test it. It's pretty much the same on XP.
    im useing an optical cable and when i turn that on its spif out and 5.1 wont let me change it it just turns spif out off

Hmm... it's likely a setting on your reciever. On my Pioneer reciever, I have to turn on Dolby mode (or surround mode) to get sound from all speakers if I'm just listening to music. On movies, it automatically switches to full 5.1 surround.

It might be that your spdif output is only sending 2 channels to the reciever, which is why I was thinking of that setting in the sound. But it that is disabling your spdif, then you might want to check with the manufacturer of your soundcard.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/