Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first Mod... Starcraft 2

Default My first Mod... Starcraft 2

Well I have been checking our TBCS for a while now and finely decided it was time for me to start a project. So I have been tossing ideas around my head and off my friends. A couple weeks ago I cought the new trailer for SC-2 and I was drooling like a baby. So I decided that this would be the perfect place for me to start. After looking at various screen captures I decided to start work on a Terrain Barracks. It has some cool attributes that I think will convert nicely into various components for the PC. Here is a link to the image that I have been using as my template (building in upper left). What I thought would be cool is to have a DVD where the red light bar on the front of the barracks is. So I will post some images of my basic mock up and keep everyone up to date as I go.

Starcraft 2 screenshot

Anodized

Default Re: My first Mod... Starcraft 2

hell, all the buildings in that pic would be great mods. like the one center top w/ the green (UV plexi) in it. should be interesting, lets see some desings!
    "the bada and the bing"

i see the building your one about, i think it would be wicked if you could build a PC into somthing that looks near enough identical to that.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

is this going to be a gaming or everyday rig? water cooled or not?

if i had the money and patience for modding (of that level) i would go with the upper middle building. it looks like it would be really cool do have some green reservoirs for the w/c. the one your doing would have been my second choice for sure. its got some tubing/pipes sticking out which would be perfect for w/c.

anyway i hope you do this one, i used to play starcraft a lot and it was great fun!

heres a +rep to help you get started!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Well as promised here are 5 of my model pictures. I made this model using the styrofoam board that is sold at some hobby shops for project displays, and hot glue. The reason I made up this model is that I am working from that one image posted earlier. By making this model I am able to get better measurements on size and make any adjustments now without costing myself too much time or money. Al together I would say this model took me 3-4 days and $35 at the most.

This is the side shot of the barracks. The blue marker is just adding extra detail and corrections I will eventually make on the final piece.

The Back

Front shot. I will go into more details after the images

Front Angle

Top shot

Ok first to answer some earlier questions. I would like to water cool and make this a gaming rig. I think there is a great location for possibly installing 2 radiators. You can see these in the second image where the big circles say "LED Fan Red". In the game the barracks can fly and it uses thrusters which I will build into these areas. I also want to isolate the air coming into the radiators using the two air intake vents located above the thrusters.

Looking at the front image I plan on installing a DVD drive and replacing the front of the tray with a piece of plexiglass that will be lit to match the game screen shot. I also want to install a system readout screen above this so that the system temperature and other vitals can be seen.

As for the case material, I haven't decided what I will use. At this point I think a polystyrene or ABS with an Aluminum custom frame is the best bet. Also there will be a large array of LEDs around the unit to mimic various lights that are seen. I plan on building a control center to be placed internally for all of the LEDs.

Overall the case is about 24" wide, 18" deep, and 16" tall

And yes I plan on building the feet, I just didn't build them for the model.

Also I am open to suggestions or ideas.

nice work! i like the two rad ideas with it venting right at the top. never building my own case maybe you could make use of your model and put fiberglass all around the model and make a Aluminum frame like you said.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Fiberglass sounds like a complicated and difficult procedure. I have never done anything with that. My plan was to vacuum mold the smaller pieces and then attach them to the core unit. Since the main part of the case is fairly boxy I think it will be easy to build it out of the plastic. Also the model is not perfect. There are many details that need to be worked out. ie component placement, how I open and close the case itself, and various other little things that will pop up as I go.

Also something else I am going to try and do is line most of the case with sound proofing material. What it is is a foil backed adhesive. It is used in cars to help eliminate the external noise. They however only use it in small patches. I plan to line the whole case, and since I will be water cooling it shouldn't hurt my temp, especially with two rads.

Wow man, that is a solid design. I'll definitely be watching where this goes.
    RIP Bucko

Anodized

SWEET TITS!! that's a great mock-up. MUCH more professional than the beer case mockup I made in my worklog. definitely watching this one!!
    "the bada and the bing"