Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Wireless Drivers?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Ubuntu Wireless Drivers?

So I have a linksys pci adapter with speed booster, but I can't seem to get it to work on ubuntu. It won't even detect any wireless routers. My other linksys card worked fine, it was basically the same thing but without the speed booster. But I don't have that card anymore. Hmmm. Anyone know whats up or how to fix it??

Thanks for the help! I'm off to bed, I give up on trying to figure it out. ><
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Ubuntu Wireless Drivers?

Model number?
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Model number?
    WMP54GS
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Hope this helps you out, I read most and it seems promising.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=WMP54GS
    RIP Bucko

Does anyone want to walk me through this in lame, I mean, laymen terms? lol

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...48&postcount=6

I get the terminal part, but I'm not sure what Im supposed to be changing the areas hes asking to be changed to.

You need to edit 2 things in the script. The "MYESSID" and "MYINTERFACE". "MYESSID" you change to the name of your network. "MYINTERFACE" you change to the name of your card (my guess would be WMP54GS). Then, save it (without an extension IIRC), and add the little line of code under that to the file "/etc/network/interfaces".
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    You need to edit 2 things in the script. The "MYESSID" and "MYINTERFACE". "MYESSID" you change to the name of your network. "MYINTERFACE" you change to the name of your card (my guess would be WMP54GS). Then, save it (without an extension IIRC), and add the little line of code under that to the file "/etc/network/interfaces".
    lol dumb question, how do I find out the name of my network?

Save it? Like copy and paste the code into the terminal... or save.. something... ?

What do you mean by "without an extension IIRC"?

Then that last line... yea... what? lol

Woo! Now THAT is a brain fart! lol!

Just pretend like your giving instructions to a monkey. lol

Okay, through some miracle in heaven, I got my adapter working. I can detect my wireless router fine now, it even gives me my signal percentage. But I still can't connect to the router... it'll just attempt to connect for a minute or two then not work.

Anyone know what the problem is now? I don't have a WEP on my router, so I should be able to just connect shouldn't I?

Okay... then... well, I can connect to the router now. Everything is working fine now it seems. I'm going to leave this open though, because I have a funny feeling.

So it works? Good to hear.
    RIP Bucko

i had this with my wireless card, it didn't like it some times, and others it would see my network, attempt to aonnect but get nowhere,

and others it would connect no problems

Wierd.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!