Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: R2server

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: R2server

Sweet, sounds good. And those feet / ankles are looking fabulous. The mold looks pretty l33t itself.

Fresh Paint

yet another evidence that American fastfood is bad! (haha)

Nice mod btw Keep it up!

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

I spent the weekend with my wife's family, a nice family Christmas gathering.

But I did manage to get some work done on R2.

I mounted the 3/8 x 1/2x1 Bronze flanged bushing in the ankle.

The Slot for the Ankle was cut into the foot shell.

We also figured out what Size channel was needed to mount the ankle to the foot. It's going to take a piece of custom bent angle iron (1.25" x 1.5") and a piece of 1.25" flat to make.. So I've got it on order (father in-law is going to pick it up at a local supplier he works with), that way next week I can cut it and weld it into the foot.

Also on Friday I received the PCB prototypes that I sent out.

Front

Back

The rest of the parts for the display should be here soon.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-11-2012 at 03:28 AM.

I still giggle when I see the rather feminine purple R2...
    Asking if computers can think is like asking if submarines can swim.
    Asking if people think is like asking if a pebble has a preference between Beethoven and Mozart.

temmink.org recondelta.com

Good Morning R2 fans,
    It took me 3 weeks of work to design and build the last Leg. The second leg I got all the parts cut out in a few hours after work last night! I've gotten an offer to weld all the Aluminum parts together on this one, but I have to have it packed and ready to ship by Thursday morning before I leave for work. Having welded will save me more time as 70% of the time spent on the last one was lining up all the boltholes. It's not as easy as I thought it would because the extruded Aluminum tube isn't perfectly flat, it's really close but not as flat as the machined plate that it has to match up too, so it throws things out of line a little bit. My other hope is that I can also get the ankle for the center leg laid out and cut so It can be welded at the same time, that may not get done!!! But I'm going to try!

Here's the pic of the second outer leg pieces (I'll save you all the bandwidth and just post one pic of the group of parts)

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-11-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Looking really good CBB! Good luck with getting everything done, I know you'll do a good job no matter what. You seem to have a LOT of past tech./workshop kind of experience, do you have background in that industry?

Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by tybrenis
    Looking really good CBB! Good luck with getting everything done, I know you'll do a good job no matter what. You seem to have a LOT of past tech./workshop kind of experience, do you have background in that industry?

Great job!
    I'm a Computer tech, and Have done a little woodworking for some time, and this is not my first case mod. I learned allot on previous projects, as well as on this project (never be afraid to as someone that knows how to do something for advice, most will help you with no issues!).

Glad you like it!

Crazybillybob

Case Wizard

Kids are in bed, house cleared of wrapping paper, and visiting the forums to give those a late merry christmas.

Hope you, the Family and R2 had a merry christmas.

Thanks Malt,

I'm back in the world of high speed internet access...So look for an update soon!

Crazybillybob

I got allot done over the Holidays I'm still going through all the pics, so this is just the first of several updates that I'll post over the next few days.

One of the first items I attacked was to install the channel into the outer feet. The ankle (and leg) assembly attaches to the foot via this channel, The motor mounts will also attach directly to the channel. This allows all the weight to be transfers srtright down to the wheels, which means the foot shell carries no weight (lets me use lighter weight materials here!).
    This is the Channel. It's 1 1/4"(3.175cm) wide and 1 1/4"(3.175cm) deep and runs the length of the top of the foot (about 9"(22.86cm) at the widest point)

The Channel was brazed into the foot shell. (I used an Oxyacetylene torch to do the brazing....Yes I did the Brazing for these! ) You can see my lovely handy work here.

To aid in alignment the notch in the top of the shell was cut smaller then needed. Here it is before it was trimmed to the correct size.

I used a 4 1/2" angle Grinder with a cutoff wheel to trim the shell to match the channel. A Carbide bur on a Die grinder and my trusty Dremel helped clean up the corners and edges (I don't want to cut my fingers on any edges!)

With the channel fitting nicely in the side feet, I changed my attention to the outer leg that needed welding. I worked with my father in law to get the leg lined up and clamped in a position that easier to weld.

Then he Tig welded all the pieces together.

I think it came out very nice.

Now I need to get the rest of the pics organized....Stay tuned for more updates.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:19 AM.