Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: R2server

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: R2server

I've been getting some Questions about the Aluminum welds. I know the pic I posted was a little blurry so I took a few better ones last night for you all.

Here is a couple of close up shots of the welds.

The Tip of the Ankle is made up of 4 pieces of .25"(6.35mm) 6061Alum,and 1 piece of 0.08"(2mm) 3003 Alum. The entire tip was welded together. I've still got a little clean up to do on it but not much.

This is what the whole thing looks like together.

I'm going to Split this post into 2 to make it easier to follow. The next part will be on the Motor Mount.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:21 AM.

I'm going into Detail on the motor mount because of Questions on it, and Other R2builders maybe using the same budget Scooters or something similar.

The first thing after I cut the motor frame from the scooter frame was to add this piece of angle to the front of the frame section. It will be used to strengthen the frame and a place to bolt the motor mount to the channel.

The next step is to make up a strip about 1.25" (3.175cm) wide and 5.5" (13.97cm) long. This strip will have 2 .25" (6.35mm) holes drilled into it. I brazed nuts on the back of the strip for easier mounting. I also made a Tee brace up out of some .25" (6.35mm) box tube and a strip of metal, The Tee will also have a pair of nuts brazed to it.

The Tee is Welded into one end of the Foot Channel (on the inside of the foot)

The Strip will get welded on to the motor mount but, I had to cut a piece out of the motor mount for it to fit in.

Also at this time the Mount section that was cut is bent down so that there is about .25" (6.35mm) of clearance from the tire,

this lowers the ride height of the foot.

The reason that the nuts were brazed in was to make repairs and inspection of the motors easier. The Motor mount is held in by two bolts that go through the L bracket and into the Tee.

and two Screws that go down through the Foot Channel and into the motor mount strip.

I'm not sure I like the big pan head screw there, I might change that to a different kind...Counter sunk maybe?

The Whole thing looks like this from the bottom.

Next time we'll cover how to make a Center foot shell out of an old computer case.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:22 AM.

As Promised here’s How to make a center foot shell from a Pc case.
    First you go to the PC Junk pile and pick out a nice case. I picked the Gateway 2000 desktop you see under the printer (Red Arrow).

After Removing the Case your left with this.

Here is the case that I used for the Side Feet shell a few months ago...(Ok it was like 10 months but who's counting)

After You have the case Just trace your pattern onto it (I forgot this pic, I really wanted to get this thing made!)
    Next We used this neat gadget (it's like $20us from Northern Tool) It's a Sheet metal cutter. You pull on the handle and it spins the blade that cuts and feeds the sheet through it. This thing make long cuts easy (The other option is a hand nibbler, or Sheet metal shears (Tin Snips)).

Once it's all cut out we bend. We don't have a break so HillBilly method! For nice sharp corners you need to use a piece of angle Iron tightly mounted in the vice. Clamp the metal to the Angle and push down. For the smaller pieces we used a solid steel block and a C clamp to bend the section evenly. If there is a edge or corner the isn't sharp enough or is out of shape....Give it a couple of taps with your trusty ballpeen hammer.

The Bending and fine tuning take the most time (and I'm a bit Anal about it!)
    I made sure that I left about 1/2" (1.27cm) tabs on one of the pieces that joined to form a corner, This is so we had some thing to spot weld together.

We used Vise C Clamps to keep everything nice and tight till it was welded down (there's none on in the pic cause it's the last weld)

Everything went according to plan. We also learned allot on the side feet because the Center foot is best looking one we've made.

I've still gotta cut the groove for the channel and Braze it into the foot, but there's a weekend coming up soon!

Just for those of you that are thinking "Hay, is this a PC or RC model?" Santy Clause Brought R2 his first PC Part!

We're on our way now.

Thanks for dropping by.

And remember, "Keep your stick on the Ice" ---Red Green

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Whoooo Hoooo!! Updates!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris_kalan
    Whoooo Hoooo!! Updates!!!
    There's been one Everyday but Tuesday this week. What can I say I got allot done without having the internet around! (and not having to spend all day at work...That place really puts a cramp in my modding time! )

Crazybillybob

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob
    There's been one Everyday but Tuesday this week. What can I say I got allot done without having the internet around! (and not having to spend all day at work...That place really puts a cramp in my modding time! )
    That is why I am pushing for the 4 hour work week were I work.

the Director that talked to about it laughed and said as long as I get as much work done in the 4 hours as I do in a week. He will have an issue with my productivity

but he also said I should keep working towards it as he would like that as well. Work is getting into the way of his skiing.

This week I've been trying to Update everyday. I've had plenty of material due to the week + I took of for the holidays. But it takes allot of Time to read reply’s and respond as well as post new Material. With that said...Tribal I tip my hat to, to update like you do when your working on Blackout is Crazy!

But Here's another update.

I returned home from the Holidays to find My Speed Controller kits that have been on back order since early October are In (my Mailbox!). I ordered 3 of them, One for each outer foot and, one for the dome (or spare parts).

After I ordered these I found out that other People had tried to use them to Drive these scooter motors and Blow up the FET (Little Black 3 legged power controlling device), or burnt the traces off the PCB. Well The directions that come with this kit tell you that if your going to run 5 or more Amps you need to reinforce the traces by soldering wires to them.
    The Adding wire Sounds like a good Idea. But the smoked FETS I don't like that Idea... So after some Research I found that I can put 2 FETS in parallel and this will allow them to handle more current with out smoking ( has to do with the on resistance of the FET, when it's on it looks like a 0.02ohm resistor. So putting 2 0.02ohm resistors in parallel it works like one 0.01ohm resistor so less current is limited.) Well I like more current! But I'll have to make an adapter PCB that will let me use 8 Fets instead of the 4 the Kit comes with. Well here's that adapter board (ReV A).

I'm not happy with the layout, but it's a start. I want to incorporate mounting holes for 4 heat sinks (one for each pair of FETs) and I want to use the Screw Terminals for the Vin Ground and Motor output.

Once I get this figured out I'll attach the speed controllers to my other Christmas Present (MY WIFE IS THE GREATEST!!!! )

Yeap, That's 4 Servos and an eight channel PCM Receiver.
    Yesterday I had to drop by the hobby shop (RIDERS HOBBY SHOP) and get 1200ma 6.0V Battery pack for the Receiver (RX)

and order a Crystal for the RX that matches the one in my Transmitter (TX), It should be in next week It was about the only Freq they didn't have in stock.

I've also been working on those LED boards that I got a few weeks ago, But you'll have to wait and see that at a later time

Tune in Next Week For more Exciting R2 Adventures, Same Bat Time Same Bat Channel.

Crazybillybob

“If the women don’t find you sexy, they’ll at least find you handy” ---Red Green
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Rankenphile

Great work, CBB. I love that you're putting up updates like you have been lately.

Now if I can jsut get off my duff and get some updates on my arcade box... I'm planning on getting some work done on it this weekend, but a couple projects jsut fell in my lap, so it miight have to wait one more week. Grrrrr.

Thanks Rank! I'm not sure how long I'll be able to do the daily posts with out them getting even more ...Dry, now that I'm back to work I don't get as much time to work on my mod as I'd like.

I'm looking forward to see how your Arcade turns out. Good Luck.

Crazybillybob

In the little bit I worked on R2 this weekend I had a minor set back.

I put one of the Speed Controller kit together just to see If I really needed to spend the time Designing a new FET board for it....I DO.
    Here Is what happen....Plugs in Motor and Battery...ZZZZ, Snap, Pop, Flames !!!
    The Aftermath...

So I spent a few hours Redesigning the board I posted the other day. I Said I didn't like the design, and when I went back and looked at it the was not enough space between the FETs for the heat sinks, and I had a trace in the wrong place (Dead short from V+ to GND) So It was trashed for this one.

Hopefully I'll get this board etched this week and The Parts ordered to finish it.
    This was the last free weekend before my wife starts Spring semester of Vet school (doggy Doc!) So I spent most of the time with her. We did manage to get the second workbench in the garage started. It will be finished soon as well.

It was a Lite R2 Weekend, but a well needed Break! Now I'll get back to work!

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:27 AM.