Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: R2server

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: R2server

That's the basic Idea with the Gear. I was just going to mount it to the plywood as it's easier to find gears smaller then 18" around. Which is what I'd need to mount it to the dome.

Thanks for the Idea...

Crazybillybob

Rankenphile

You know, I've been mulling this thing over all day at work, because I love puzzles like this. I want to work something out on paper when I get some time to actually fiddle with it but one thing I realized is that I'm pretty sure faraday cages don't work for elecrtomagnetic waves, only radio waves and such.

Hmmmm..... how do they do shielding for speakers to prevent damage to CRT screens?

Here is my idea (image in perspective of looking at the underside of the dome)

The motor would need to be large depending on how heavy the dome is, but this is my general idea. Hope it works out for you..

Oh, just realized, it would be a good idea to put a railing on either side of the track or on the gear to make sure it doesn't fall off the track.

Rankenphile

That was my first idea, as well. I have another plan I'm just trying to figure out the fine details of right now that might actually work better... I can't wait to see what CBB ends up with for this, though.

I've came up with this design for the Gear if I use slip rings. If the gear comes out nice I'll use it for any setup. As with most of the rest of R2 I'm trying to save money so I'm going to make these gears myself, at home with my small collection of power tools and hand tools(I think the Router and Jigsaw will be getting a work out this weekend) . Don't worry I'll take pics good or bad just so you all can join in the fun!

I went with the gear close to the outside of the dome for one reason clearance between the Bearing (12" OD) and the Motor Gear (about 2"-2.5"). There was no other setup where they wouldn't hit or rub one another.

I still don't have the motor to drive this, but I'm thinking about it. Most likely it will be a small 12Vdc gear motor running about 300-600RPM max. I'll have to see what some of the surplus stores have cheap.

Let Me know what you think, or if there is something really wrong that I missed Let me know that too!

Crazybillybob

Yes, Chris it looks like your drawing! Just not mounted to the dome...The dome is egg shaped and this flat gear was hard enough for me to draw I don't want to make it a 3D complex curve.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Fresh Paint

its awesome

Fresh Paint

Very cool. Great ideas Hillbilly

Well I had a weekend full of fun and building....I blew most of Saturday playing BF2 online (first time in 2 months!) so Sunday I worked on the dome disk and the gears....

First thing was to cut out some rough disks they were about 19"(48.26cm) in diameter I just whipped them out with my jigsaw (no where near round!!!)

Now to make them round. I whipped up a jig for my router table. Not much just a piece of 1/4" plywood bolted to the top. then I measured 9 1/16" from the inside of the 1/4" straight cut bit in the router and set a hole (for a screw). I drilled a slightly bigger hole in the center of each disk (made the screw snug but would let the disk still turn).

Once the disk was screwed on I just had to turn the disk and it would be perfectly round. Action Shot!

Making the jig and pushing out two perfect disks took less then an hour...I may get more done then I thought.....

Next I moved on to the spur gear, this little guy will be attached to a motor and run against the ring gear (I hope).
    Here I've got the gear all laid out and ready to cut (I printed out the drawing 1:1 and sprayed the back with spray adhesive, then stuck it to the plywood. Easier then trying to draw it out on wood free hand)

After the spur gear was cut out I when after the ring gear. It kicked my butt, This shot is after an hour and 2 batteries on the cordless jigsaw.

It's going to be a long day!...

Well after about 3 tedious hours and 4 batteries I got 1 ring gear (I hope it works I really don't want to have to cut it out again!!!).

Looks kinda nice laying there on the work bench...but I wonder how it looks in the dome?

The Disk looks good!

The Gears....They Look even better !! and they seem to work too! now they just need a little clean up with a file to smooth them all out. (later this week.. cause it was late when I shoot these pics!, and my arms still numb from the jigsaw! )

All in all it was a good day. I'll get the mounting hole for the bearing drilled and the hole for the slip ring cutout this week and go from there.

Thanks for all the positive response lately, it helps keep me going. The Ideas and drawings are always welcome.

On a little side note I know that before I've said that R2 will not have a working holo-emitter (projector)...Well I've changed my mind....Stay tuned over the coming weeks for the projector mod (it will stay right here but I'll mostly be working on it!), I'm just waiting on parts right now.. my goal make the projector work (display @ min of 5' away) for less then $100 us (not counting the cost of the emitter cause I've already got it!)....Let's see if I can pull this off.

Till next time!

CrazyBillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-19-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Rankenphile

Can't wait. I can't believe you cut that gear out by hand. You're one crazy hillbilly!

Ever figure out the problem of running the wires in and out of the rotating dome?

Wow.. now thats dedication.. I hope that little R2 unit knows just how lucky he is having a builder like you..

FANTASTIC work..