Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: R2server

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: R2server

Here is the outer foot shell and the scooter motor frame (striped down and Moded). When I make the Center foot shell I'll take more pics. The outers were made spur of the moment, and I didn't have a camera with me.

The foot shells are made from old computer cases, not the cheap ones these things are 1/32" ish thick. I laid out the pattern on the case and added tabs (to be folded in so I had something to spot wield too.) Then they were cutout a sheet metal cutter (I'll get a pic off this next time too) and a air power nibbler made short work of the cutting. Then a vise , sheet metal Piers and some spare steel blocks and the bending was done. All in all it took about 5.5-6.75 hrs to make two of these (first one took 75% of that time).

The frame here is still a work in progress. The support brackets on the top of it need adjusted to fit the foot, I still need to cut a slot in the top of the foot shells and put some u channel in there so I can attach the ankle to the foot. Once the channel is in the brackets will be adjusted and welded in place.

This is how the motor Mount will sit in the foot shell.

And a look at it from the inside (the part of the foot closest to R2's body)

Back to work!
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Sorry I've been swamped @ work so the updates are a little slow and Lite on content right now. I plan on fixing this shortly The long weekend will give me time to get something’s finished up like the Skins being mounted or at least started the ankles.

I really would like some feedback here.

I haven't picked out a motherboard or Proc yet anyone got any recommendations?
    It will be a stretch to get a full ATX Mobo in the little guy, a baby or Mini would fit ok. I'm even kicking around the Idea of ITX but I've never worked with them so some info would be handy!

Thanks all,
    Crazybillybob

ATX Mental Case

I haven't checked this thread in too long. I happened to grow up in Bolingbrook, thought its changed alot since I moved away.

As I understand it, you're putting the drive wheel in an outer foot. Isn't it going to want to run around in a circle? I'd think putting it in the center foot and putting a servo or actuator on that to turn it would be the easiset way to make him mobile. Maybe I've just read it wrong. Good job with the work so far.
    The path to the good life is directly beneath you at this exact moment

Quote Originally Posted by Bum
    I haven't checked this thread in too long. I happened to grow up in Bolingbrook, thought its changed alot since I moved away.

As I understand it, you're putting the drive wheel in an outer foot. Isn't it going to want to run around in a circle? I'd think putting it in the center foot and putting a servo or actuator on that to turn it would be the easiset way to make him mobile. Maybe I've just read it wrong. Good job with the work so far.
    There will be a motor in each outer foot. This will allow you to drive R2 tank style, both motors fwd = R2 fwd, Left motor fwd +Right motor stop = R2 goes Right, Right motor Fwd + Left motor stop = R2 going Left. The third leg will just have a (or more) ball caster in it. This gives him more maneuverability (he should turn on a Dime!)

Thanks for the input, Bolingbrook was nice. It had some very nice homes and there was lots of shops and eateries there.

Crazybillybob

Here's a little look into what I'm working on this weekend.

This is a picture of R2D2 built by ILM for one of the Starwars movies.

It is a 4x27 matrix of 3mm LEDs. I'm working on creating a printed curcuit board with 108 Ultra bright LEDs on it then randomizing the blinking pattern with a Microcontroller. I've been working on it in cad for a while...I'll get some screen shoots of the drawings up.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.

The work on the Rear Logic Display went well this weekend.
    Here is the Cad Drawings I made to Get all the parts to fit in this little space.

First up was the Creation on the Bezel. This piece is used to Line up all the 3mm Leds so they look neat and are easier to see.
    I've tried to make this out of styrene previously and the drill bit ripped the lattice out (but only after I drilled 80-90 holes ...there's 108 total)
    So this time I'm using a 2.5mm thick Aluminum plate...The Lattice shouldn't tear as easily.

I printed the Bezel layout 1:1 then coated the back in a thin layer of spray adhesive ( this keeps the print from moving on you when your marking the centers to drill). Once the layout was in place I used a scratch all the mark dead center for each hole, next I center punched each hole. Here's what it looked like when that was finished.

If you look at the bottom of the plate you can see my first set of mistakes. I used a 1/8" drill bit to bore the holes, and it ended up cutting through the lattice. To fix the problem I got a smaller drill bit but will have to file out each hole a bit to let the 3mm LEDs fit in them....Snuggly! (if you look a the center of the mistake area you'll see these test holes...Works great! After allot of hole drilling, and some shaping the bezel looks great.

I also worked on etching the circuit board that the LED's will be hooked to.
    As with the bezel I printed the layout out 1:1 on a Laser printer. Then cut it to fit the board. I also added alignment marks (not shown in the Drawing here) so both sides of the PCB (printed Cuircut Board) line up. I drilled 0.004" holes in the center of these marks and put pins in them. Then I Laid the Layouts printed side to copper on the board and heated with my iron for abit (20-30mins total) watching all the time not to burn the paper. Once that was complete I soaked the paper off in water. This is what it looked like after the water bath. (sorry just realized that I have no pics of that Process prior to this...I'll get them up the next time ..as I have many more PCBs to make for R2)

Now the board gets soaked in ferric chloride till all the unwanted copper is gone. Rinse the board with water and your ready to drill.

Here is the PCB and the Aluminum Bezel side by side.

Here a couple of pics showing the way these parts will be used together.
    The first is the Rear Logic surround (made from Resin) with the Aluminum bezel underneath. The Second shows the PCB with the Bezel over it underneath the RLS.

1:

2:

Now I have to finish Drilling the 200+ 0.004 holes in the circuit board (got some drilled but broke my bit and it was late so I went to bed) and Solder in 108 Leds (that’s 216 Solder joins just for the LEDS!) I'll post those pics in a few weeks. Ha it takes time to do all that work, plus I've got some other parts that I need to get done quick before I do all the tedious stuff.

Let Me know what you think.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:51 PM.

D'Oh

my god... where is the small smiley with his jaw on the floor... this is simply amazig work... the shear amount of repetitive..........aah... !!@#$#... congrats and may you continue... btw, have you considered doing a CPU? seriously, this is something special...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkr
    btw, have you considered doing a CPU? seriously, this is something special...
    Dgrmkr,
    Not sure what you mean by this?

Thanks for the props!
    Yes it's repeditive, but when you get in the "zone" you don't notice anything else (ask my Wife she hates it!) Now If I could just get the frame made for the utility arms (the Blue arms just under R2's head) I could mount the front skins and put the Util. Arms I made on him.

Crazybillybob

I Tought it would be cool to snap a pic of my pile of parts. (Note the front skins are just taped in place.)

Let me know what you think.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Let me know what you think.
    you wanna know?

wow...wow....WOW!!! totally blown away ! this is on another level all-together Cbb!

that shot of all the guys with thyr R2's is just too cool!

Respect!

Vote 1 for sticky !