Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: R2server

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: R2server

I didn't make any major progress on this mod this weekend. My wife's little brother graduated from Navy Boot Camp so we drove up to Chicago to see it and spend some time with him.

Hopefully work will be light this week and I'll be able to make some marked progress. I feel as though this mod is on a glacial pace...way to slow but it's getting there. I've Started soldering the LEDs to the PCB, and have had to modify the way things hook up (bad board design...Not sure What I was thinking when I laid it out!). If I get the LEDS hooked up and the front skins mounted this week it will free me up to start glassing the Shoulders and making a mold and plug for the ankles next weekend.

Thanks for check up on this mod.. I'll get more pics up soon!

Crazybillybob

Rankenphile

I just stumbled across this amazing piece of work. Increcible!

Very nice work, I can't wait for an update.

Fresh Paint

Wow, that is so awesome, great job!...that all i really have to say...seeing all those r2 units in one picture...haha...im stunned...

I've been thinking allot about the Mother board that I'm going to put into this mod. I've been planning that the server side of it would only work when R2 is plugged to a umbilical cord (which would have a 1Gb Net connection and 120VAC to power the PC). Then the Other day a friend of mine sent me an e-mail the this Review of the Voom PC I found more info on the VOOM PC and a Price at Mini-Box

With it I could run the game server while R2 is running around the room, Powering the PC on a 12V Battery. I've always planed on having a high-speed Wireless connection to Him, So the umbilical cord would not be needed. What do you think? The specs on it show that I should run fine as a BF2 Server (as far as I know that is the game with the highest req's for the Server platform!)

Does anyone know someone that wants to sponsor a Mod? I'd be happy to put the Company's logo and/name on a plaque to be mounted on the inside of the Access panel for R2-SRV... Drop me a PM if interested.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added Pic

With it I could run the game server while R2 is running around the room, Powering the PC on a 12V Battery
    Amazing!!!! what a picture

Tthis is such a high quality pro mod cbb, and it's the one mod i keep comming back and checking for more!!!!

Congards to the bro

Ah, the great VIA EPIA MII 12000. Great little mob ain't it. I remember that a certain type of 12v battery can give enough juice for a robot for upto 10 hours I think it was.

I think the link is http://oap.sourceforge.net but I could be wrong. I want to build a OAP. I can just imagine this at a small LAN party with a small camera built into the lens so that you can go screen looking!!!! *cough* But that's your decission.

Crenn,

Funny you should mention a Camera in it. The Main Radar Eye (the painting of it is here in the worklog) is going to have a webcam behind it. The Lens in it is tinted Brown and is made from Optical quality acrylic. Now I just have to find the Right USB webcam to put behind it!

Crazybillybob

I've been working late every night this week (and not on this mod ) So Today (Sunday) I took some time to start the Access door On the Back of R2. This is only way that I'll be able to get in to the body of R2. The Access door is large about 3/4 of the back. The Styrene that R2 is skinned with is very Flexible, which is great to make curves (like the body of R2) but it also means that with out a frame to hold it into shape it will distort.
    With that in mind making a door in the back of R2 means I need some kind of frame to keep everything in shape. The answer Fiberglass...My first attempt at laying down glass.

The first thing is to make a form for the door. Lucky I already had a Body mockup that I had made for gluing up the skins (I never used but still had it laying around). I skinned a section with some 1/4 plywood (I made it more flexible by cutting slits 1/2 the way through the plywood the length of the plywood. The Slits were about 1" apart...I forgot to take a picture before I taped it up).
    Then the frame is covered with duct tape (you can also use clear packing tape) this keeps the Resin from sticking to the frame. Here's the Frame cover in the tape.

Next I mixed up the Resin & hardener per the directions and painted a coat stright onto the tape. Then the first layer of fiberglass cloth down, using the paint brush to smooth out the cloth and make sure it's good and covered. The 2nd and final layer of fiberglass cloth goes on. On this layer I use a squeegee to smooth the glass and make sure the excess resin is removed (ends up on the floor), Don't add resin on this layer.
    Here's a picture after It's all laid up.

Now We wait for 24Hrs to see how it turns out...Hey I'm waiting on this on too!

Well, Just to help the wait and to prove that Everyone loves R2....Here's Peanut (one of our cats) enjoying some quite time with R2.

Crazybillbob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob
    Crenn,

Funny you should mention a Camera in it. The Main Radar Eye (the painting of it is here in the worklog) is going to have a webcam behind it. The Lens in it is tinted Brown and is made from Optical quality acrylic. Now I just have to find the Right USB webcam to put behind it!

Crazybillybob
    Try looking for a USB2.0 webcam with at least 30-45fps.

Rankenphile

Quote Originally Posted by crenn
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob
    Crenn,

Crazybillybob
    Try looking for a USB2.0 webcam with at least 30-45fps.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830108105. Good looking webcam, decent price and good reviews. Plus you have pan, tilt and zoom functionality and good resolution. And, there's a one day sale on it... for the next couple days. :p