Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: R2server

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: R2server

Thanks guys for the Links and leads for Webcams.

I've been looking at the Phidgets boards lately. There USB controlled Input output Boards that are low cost, and you can controll them through code (java, .net, Visual basic, visual c,and more). They have one that lets you controll upto 4 Servos off one board, for $75ca (about $65us). I'm looking at it to create some random movements of the Holo Eye, or open some panels on the body (like the Recharge ports). Not sure Just checking things out.

Crazybillybob

Thanks All for the Positive - Helpful Comments, Please Keep the Comments coming (positive or other wise)....As I'm new to the Worklog thing Let me know How I can make the work log better as well as improve the Project!

My Fiber glassing Didn't go as planed. Currently I have a Very sticky, very flimsily mess in my garage....My first guess I ran out of hardener and was not sure I had put enough in...Guess that thought was Right after all.

Here's the new plan:
    buy more hardener
    use 1 layer of fiberglass cloth a layer of fiberglass mat (1.5oz short fiber) then cover with another layer of glass cloth. I'm planning on laying this mess up on Friday night (so I'll have time to work on it ...if it dries : Or I'll have time to come up with a new plan that doesn't include fiberglass...maybe some Sheet Aluminum or PVC heated and Bent to shape)

I'll post a pic of the flimsy sticky mess later today!

CrazyBillybob

Rankenphile

Forget the Fiberglass, just get a sheet of Cintra, it's PVC signboard. You could get a sheet of it from any sign printer, and it is stronger than most plexi and just as easy to work with (IMO). Less mess, and less stress when cutting it - you don't get all itchy. I hate working with fingerglass!

I'm Already using Cintra (or some PVC board)

Look down in the Log where I made the Utility Arm Carries (Gray Rounded cage thingys). And I tried using it for this....2 hours with a heat gun Only got a slite warp in the sheet (it's 1/4" thick! x 11.5" x 17 1/4") That's why I busted out the fiberglass...I thought it would bw quicker. I'll give the glass one more try (cause it's not it's fault I ran out of hardener. If that doesn't work....The Cintra's going in the Oven (my wife will hate me but...R2 Needs IT!)

Thanks for the Idea .... I should have posted that I had tried it. That Cruve it's gotta hold is whats causeing all my problems!

Crazybillybob

I've been busy working this evening after returning home from work.

Here is the Not quite Bent enough Piece of Cintra that lead to the Fiberglass Laying.

Here is my first (Failed!) attempt at laying Fiber glass...The Resin never Dried!

So first thing tonight when I got home was to lay up a new Door.
    This time I laid 1 layer of Fiberglass cloth then 1 layer of fiberglass mat then covered with a layer of fiberglass cloth. (the mat is on the left, the cloth is on the right)

Here it is all laid up!

After the door is laid up, I started cleaning up so of the resin detail pieces so I can paint them tomorrow.

The resin seems to be drying correctly this time So tomorrow and Sunday could be busy days fitting the door and painting resin ....doing all those things on that Honey do list!!!

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Success!!! This Try Came out great!
    Here's the Access door Roughly trimmed down. The Curve and fit look great.

I want to take a minute here to talk about safety...If your working with Bondo or fiber glass make sure you take all the safety precautions recommended.
    That means a good Respirator. (This one was like $20 from Harbor freight)

Not one of those $0.99 cheapies.

Always wear Safety glasses (I've been In the hospital with a steel fragment in my Eye...You never want that!!!) and when working with resins and other chemicals wear Gloves (Read the labels some solvents will eat rubber and latex gloves so wear the right ones!)

Now Back to building!

I also laid up some more fiberglass to use on the front two interface arm doors.

Crazybillybob
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-08-2012 at 11:56 PM.

....that same respirator cost me $40 at Home Depot....actually, it looks better than mine.......

lol, that would have to suck.

Bob, read your other topic (the one about the battery charging problem), there is now a large thing to read.... from ME!!!!!

Rankenphile

Glad to hear it worked out so well! I may have to look into doing the fiberglass thing for my big mod/scratchbuild I have planned for sometime next year. How does it work out, cost-wise? (in other words, how much does a panel like that cost?)

Resin runs about $11 a quart (I used about 1/2 quart for that panel and another half that size) The fiber glass cloth is about $6 for 8 Sq feet and the glass mat is about $6 for 8Sq feet. So for the two panels I have $23 bucks into it, Plus I've got enough resin left to make the Ankles (the next part I'm going to need) But the Ankles will be much thicker (4 to 8 layers) and reinforced with some 1/8" Aluminum, This is because of all the lateral forces that will be applied on the ankles when R2 makes turns (He will weigh about 90 pounds before we add Batts and Extra electronics (PC)) So that's allot of force when he's tooling around.

Crazybillybob