Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XP Can't Find SATA HDD For Install URGENT!!!

Default Re: XP Can't Find SATA HDD For Install URGENT!!!

you'll be downloading a .iso and you'll need to burn it
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Well just checked, no disks , will have to get some tomorrow and try it then. Any of you guys got any other suggestions I could try?
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Well just checked, no disks , will have to get some tomorrow and try it then. Any of you guys got any other suggestions I could try?
    What kind of Mobo is it? Does the mobo have two sets of SATA connectors? Cuz if so, one set might be a RAID set which would require a floppy disk with the RAID drivers. At the beginning of the XP install, it says at the bottom "Press F6 now to install SCSI/RAID controller"

Unless you install that driver, you not gonna have a SATA/RAID controller. I know its like that with alot of AMD chipset ASUS boards.

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Along the lines of what gntlkilr just said, what mobo? I had a similar problem a week or so ago, I ended up upgrading my mobo and all due to it. If it happens to be a BIOSTAR board, upgrade. It saw the drive but it wouldn't let it format or anything, it was total bullcrap. I tried it with a couple drives and neither worked, Linux, or either copy I have of XP, Pro or Home.

like the Swedish Chef with a Screwdriver gntlkilr's Avatar

Another thing you might try to TRIPLE CHECK that the SATA Controller is enabled. I've made that mistake before. Also, make sure the SATA controller isn't set as a RAID controller if you're not going to use it as a RAID. I usually turn the integrated RAID off and use my adaptec SATAII controller I got on Ebay.

"Voltage is like a big lake of milk surrounded by giant chocolate chip cookies. But if the chocolate chip cookies happen to break, the milk coming out is your current."

Sorry I should have posted what type of mobo I was using.
    Mobo: Gigabyte K8 Triton (GA-K8VM00M)

The mobo has two on board SATA connectors and I have made sure that in the BIOS SATA is enabled but so is Raid, I will disable Raid and try again.

As for the driver installation I have tried that many times but wasn't sure which one I should have installed.
    Here is the list that comes up for me to load the drivers to my floppy disk:
    1>Intel IAA_RAID
    2>GIGARAID
    3>SilBASE
    4>SilRAID
    5>SCSI
    6>Promise 20276 ATA
    7>Promise 20276 RAID
    8>Promise 20265 ATA
    9>Promise 20265 ATA <XP>
    A>Promise 20265 RAID
    B>Promise 20265 RAID <XP>
    C>VIA 8237 Series ATA
    0>exit

While reading through the mobo manual to see how to activate SATA drives so they can boot the system it went through how you have to change things in the boot que and all that stuff. No where in the manual did it tell me that I needed to install drivers (I spent 3 hours figuring this out ). When I found I had to load the drivers it didn't even tell we which ones. At the bottom of the trouble shoot section where it tells you how to activate SATA drives it says you must set "Raid" to Raid or "SATA" to BASE. I thought this referred to the driver loading (number 4 & 5). Because I wasn't using Raid I only loaded the BASE file. Can you guys point me in the right directions with the drivers? Any help will be appreciated.

XP sucks, for this reason. If it is not the NEWEST and most updated CD version of it, t is extremely dfifficult to just put in an SATA and go.
    You either need to crate a floppy disk and insert it and press F6 i believe at the beginning of the setup wizard and load the sata drivers from the disk, then you can format/install on your new sata drive. Otherwise you can slipstream your SATA drivers onto a windows xp install cd.

The floppy method is Basic, and easy. You copy the sata driver folder from your mobo cd and put it onto a floppy. Easy as Pie. A quick google will show you any more detail you may want to know.

Slipstreaming: well there is a bounty of resources on that.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
    http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic28824.html
    http://weblogs.asp.net/jkey/archive/...28/423901.aspx

Hope that helps!
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Sorry I should have posted what type of mobo I was using.
    Mobo: Gigabyte K8 Triton (GA-K8VM00M)

The mobo has two on board SATA connectors and I have made sure that in the BIOS SATA is enabled but so is Raid, I will disable Raid and try again.

As for the driver installation I have tried that many times but wasn't sure which one I should have installed.
    Here is the list that comes up for me to load the drivers to my floppy disk:
    1>Intel IAA_RAID
    2>GIGARAID
    3>SilBASE
    4>SilRAID
    5>SCSI
    6>Promise 20276 ATA
    7>Promise 20276 RAID
    8>Promise 20265 ATA
    9>Promise 20265 ATA <XP>
    A>Promise 20265 RAID
    B>Promise 20265 RAID <XP>
    C>VIA 8237 Series ATA
    0>exit

While reading through the mobo manual to see how to activate SATA drives so they can boot the system it went through how you have to change things in the boot que and all that stuff. No where in the manual did it tell me that I needed to install drivers (I spent 3 hours figuring this out ). When I found I had to load the drivers it didn't even tell we which ones. At the bottom of the trouble shoot section where it tells you how to activate SATA drives it says you must set "Raid" to Raid or "SATA" to BASE. I thought this referred to the driver loading (number 4 & 5). Because I wasn't using Raid I only loaded the BASE file. Can you guys point me in the right directions with the drivers? Any help will be appreciated.
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1782
    That page has your drivers under the "SATA RAID" Heading.
    You will notice that there are drivers for each OS. Make sure you get them for XP and there are drivers for nForce chipsets and silicon chipsets. Make sure you get the correct ones.

Goodluck!
    Peace, love and Anarchy!

Thanks so much for your help, I will go have a look now.

Well I tried the way you suggested. I got the drivers that I THINK I needed (NVIDIA nForce3 250 / Ultra Driver and Silicon Image 3112 / 3512 SATA Driver) Windows boots and when I go to access the floppy it says text something.oem could not be found. Any ideas?