Thread: a US airbrush compressor in UK

Fresh Paint

Default a US airbrush compressor in UK

hi, i hope im sticking this in the right area,
    duno if you guys can help but i see theres alot of talented people in the modding world soooo, enough of the ass kissing
    i bought an Iwata airbrush and compressor combo from a company in the US about three years ago
    the air brush works great but ive never been able to get the compressor to work.
    I know in the US the standard electric supply is 110V, which i relised this when the comp arived
    but i though not a problem being a carpenter i have a transformer to convert my UK 240v to 110v for my power tools,
    so i cut the sealed plug of the compressor (the reason i could never send the thing back ) put a 110v plug on and stuk it in the transformer,
    obviously nothing happend.
    has anyone got any idea why this wont work, ive put a tester on and everything seems ok.
    a bit of an odd question maybe but any advice is apreciated thanks.

Default Re: a US airbrush compressor in UK

this probably sounds like a dumb question but did you connect the wires the right way round?
    maybe if you could get a travel adapter and put the american plug back on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

Fresh Paint

thx calumc
    i did a little reserch first and im sure the wiring was correct, when the correct wiring didnt work i tried alternitives,
    putting a travel plug on wouldnt be any good as the transformer plugs are totaly different to a normal plug,
    it may work on household power with a travel plug on but but it would meam 240 vots going through a 110 unit
    but not sure if that would just kill it.

Fresh Paint

iv seen people using 110V transformers for american stuff before, and all that is ok! you should of made a convertor cable and not lop the end off and stick a transformer plug on...

maybe its a defective unit:S has it ever worked?

Fresh Paint

yeh from asking about by the sounds of it a 110v transformer should work with it,
    i got a US/UK air base not far from me and the Americans based there are using 110v transformers for there stuff so i should be good to go realy.
    but no its never worked so ive either nackerd it wiring it wrong in the first place or it turned up broken.
    a friend of a friend type thing has given me a contact for an electrician that works on the air base,
    if i got time ill pop up there tomorow an see if ican get him to look at it for me.

the compressor is an Iwata studio series smart jet, anyone know if these have a fuse inside befor i start stripping it apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Gut8 View Post
    yeh from asking about by the sounds of it a 110v transformer should work with it,
    According to the specs on their website its 100 - 220V input - though this may be a newer revision than yours. I did note it has an auto cut-off - maybe thats causing your problems? Have you tried emailing their tech support?

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    According to the specs on their website its 100 - 220V input - though this may be a newer revision than yours. I did note it has an auto cut-off - maybe thats causing your problems? Have you tried emailing their tech support?

its 100 OR 240v i got the 100v from the states i was tying to be a cheapskate
    your right on the auto cut-off though and thats what the problem was,
    it came from the factory with the machine stuck in the auto-off position
    a little tweak from a clued up electrician called Elvis and the bugger started workin
    only took about 3 years!! ahh well i better learn how to use it now.
    thanks for all the help