Thread: Qustion about 3d Design & Metal Bending

Anodized

Question Qustion about 3d Design & Metal Bending

Well hello everyone.

I'm using sketchup and im designing a few parts out of metal (as well as the case). I need to know, based off of the 2 red parts, how to compensate bending for 3d-design, I'm using 1/16" thick aluminum or steel.

Basically, when I bend the R (RIGHT) piece up, do i first extend it in the 3d design by 1/32" / 1/16" and then the correct measurement (1/2")?
    I ask because when you bend, obviously theres a whole 1/16" involved. which means if you bend directly on the line between the red and grey with the common "brake", it could move it. Is there any compensation needed in the 3d design? I know I've had problems with this before making some things from a 3-view drawing to actual metal bending.

I kinda need to know this, or the entire case will be a disaster when I build it. I do not wish to weld / use adhesive. I want it to be clean and of a great skill when completed.
    General Omega.
    Cooling Modder.

Default Re: Qustion about 3d Design & Metal Bending

I wouldnt worry too much about the 3d design as long as you remember that you ALWAYS work with the internal dimensions of a bend. So what i'm say really is to not worry about the outer dimensions but just make sure that all your internal dimensions are spot on.
    But on the other hand if youre working from given outer dimensions then you would have to start subtracting the thickness of the metal.

Hope that helps a bit. (It all makes sense in my head!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

D'Oh

I had a similar issue a while back. Asked my dad, who is an engineer dealing with stuff like this and he said the following:
    "..whenever you measure, you always take into account the middle part of the metal, not the inner or outer edges. And when you bend it, you simply draw a circle with the desired turn radius. Of course, the metal should be able to take that strain and not break.''
    If you are using a bending contraption, then you too should take the bending radius into account. If your part needs a desired width, then take that into account and make the bend and straight part so that the external width is what you need. If you have something fitting inside the part, and the fit is gonna be on that side, then the bend will be in the exterior. So, you can either extend the bend or not.

Drawing stuff in 2D helps with the understanding of the process.

EDIT: I take too long to type.. message is mostly above. Remember, buy extra materials in case you screw up. For a nice long read about bending, try tribal's log, blackout

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    I had a similar issue a while back. Asked my dad, who is an engineer dealing with stuff like this and he said the following:
    "..whenever you measure, you always take into account the middle part of the metal, not the inner or outer edges. And when you bend it, you simply draw a circle with the desired turn radius. Of course, the metal should be able to take that strain and not break.''
    If you are using a bending contraption, then you too should take the bending radius into account. If your part needs a desired width, then take that into account and make the bend and straight part so that the external width is what you need. If you have something fitting inside the part, and the fit is gonna be on that side, then the bend will be in the exterior. So, you can either extend the bend or not.

EDIT: I take too long to type.. message is mostly above. Remember, buy extra materials in case you screw up. For a nice long read about bending, try tribal's log, blackout
    Gen.Omega, dont worry about the bending radius for material that thin, I was going to say it above but I sisnt want to confuse you on something that is so simple.
    And with the 2D drawing thing definitely draw your self a surface development (a drawing of what it looks like folded out), print it out and sick it to your steel as a guide for cutting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

D'Oh

True, I was trying to bend 2 and 3mm aluminum.. doesn't really like 90 degrees straight bends.. with this thickness, it's gonna be easy.
    Only thing that you should do more is have some more bends, in places that won't hurt your space/design, to stiffen the metal. As I see, you are using 0.78mm or 1.58mm thick metal.. that's standard for most cases, but the thicker one is gonna need a bit of bend planning. or nice flat, straight surfaces and a hammer

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Anodized

Default Re: Question about 3d Design & Metal Bending

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post

Yeah thats what I thought too, hence the 1/32".

Had to ask because its so thin I idnt know if I had to worry.
    General Omega.
    Cooling Modder.