Thread: Some modding advice needed for the Lian Li v2100

Fresh Paint

Default Some modding advice needed for the Lian Li v2100

For my first mod i want to put something simple in. I figured since my V2100 has bit of a dead zone above my graphic card i will put an intake fan on the top. Im think a 120mm fan since my case is big. Now the only tool i have is a dremel. I have seen some guides on blowholes using dremels, but they all seem to be dealing with thin metals compared to the Lian li. Before i go and stuff something seriously up, can some one tell me if the V2100 is easy enough to cut with a multipro 395 dremel with reinforced cut off wheels? Also im a bit lazy, and as i have a drill bit with my dremel will i be able to drill my case with the drill bit by hand?
    Thanks
    "but who will guard the guards?"
    "Time will pass, will YOU"
    "be formless, shapless like water. You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put water in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend" 'Bruce lee' WAAATTAAARRR

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Some modding advice needed for the Lian Li v2100

Im not sure how thick the case is but if it's aluminum, you can cut it. Just takes a bit of patience. My case is alluminum and i cut out the thundercats insignia on the side (i don't like thundercats, just their sign) with a dremel and i admit that it takes a bit of steadiness to work a circle with that tool. I used high grade sanding disks with the dremel and went through them like breathing air. I didn't use any dril bits for the design what so ever so i guess to answer your question, yes. You can do it by hand.
    Here is a pic of what i did...
    Thundercats sign

Hope this helps some. If i come across anymore tips, i'll be sure to let you know or if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Bearing in mind you always have to be careful when cutting metal, what I tend to do, using a dremel clone and non-reinforced disks, is slighty undercut then use sanding bits to grind it out to the correct size. The thing with a hole is, it's an awful lot easier to make one bigger but making one smaller is a whole different ball game. Drilling is also not a problem, but again, you might want to consider going smaller first. Drill a pilot hole with the smallest bit you have, then use that to make sure you get a nice clean cut overall. Speed is important. If you go too slow, you risk damaging the bit and the drill, too fast and you can end up with a ragged edge, or worse, a dent where you hit the case with the actual drill itself. Try to stay in the middle and dont put too much pressure on - let the drill do the work for you. This also applies to dremmeling - the harder you push, the more likely you are to slip, and the less cutting you'll get done with a disk - take your time, work thru in layers if possible, so make a groove first, then deepen it until you happen to go all the way through. Patience is everything - rush it and you WILL make a mess

Fresh Paint

Thanks for the info, i think it will help a lot.
    "but who will guard the guards?"
    "Time will pass, will YOU"
    "be formless, shapless like water. You put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put water in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend" 'Bruce lee' WAAATTAAARRR

I have this really cool case , one problem my DFI lanPARTY -DR has 4 upfront usb ports .. soo . I kinda had this crazy idea that if I took out the front USB bezel , and replaced it one from some other case that had 4 upfront USB .. that would work .. would it or could it . or is there a better way ? ta for help chaps