Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xp Sp3

Austral Alien

Default Re: Xp Sp3

Funny, I'm thinking of switching back to 98se on my 1Ghz Celeron lappy too. Speed it up a bit and will be better for gaming. The games I'm using are all older ones that orginally ran under 95/98 anyway, so no problems there.

I was reading about a stripped down version of 98 a guy made. I'd link you up, but I have to find the magazine I was reading it in. Basically it was 98 stripped down to the most basic you possibly could, and you installed extras from there.
    Small file too. Again, I can't remember the exact size, but his next project was stripping it down even further so it would all boot from a 1.44 floppy disk...

If I didn't have Windows dependent programs (Games mostly, but Photoshop and the like too) I would switch completely to Linux. All the other stuff I use is cross platform (Eclipse, Firefox...)

And this is why I'm learning Java. We need more really good platform independent programs and games. I don't like Windows, I never have, and probably never will. But I'll continue to use it until more Linux is supported. At least id is making a good effort though; Doom 3, Quake (series), UT (series) were all Linux supported I believe. It's a start.
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    If I didn't have Windows dependent programs (Games mostly, but Photoshop and the like too) I would switch completely to Linux. All the other stuff I use is cross platform (Eclipse, Firefox...)
    It is possible to install photoshop on Linux, XcOM has done it. I think it just requires a bit of extreme tweaking with WINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

yes, photoshop will run on wine,

If you use wine standalone, it can be tedius to run, if you use a application like crossover it says it supports PS6 & 7, unknown about CS,CS2, I have CS2 running in ubuntu via wine, took me ages though with lots of messing about.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Quote Originally Posted by calumc View Post
    It is possible to install photoshop on Linux, XcOM has done it. I think it just requires a bit of extreme tweaking with WINE
    Well, that's still only 1 of many. And, I couldn't be arsed to try.

If I really wanted to run only Linux, I'd just use VMware and install all the programs on the virtual machine. However, I'd make already resource-hungry programs even slower, and it doesn't help the games deal (no hardware acceleration through VMware).
    RIP Bucko

I remember when everyone thought 98 was bad, now we know it was the best that MS could come up with.

Edit: screw it I still think win98 sucks who was I kidding, I justed needed to boot up my old lappy for a reality check. Can anyone say linux, now I just need to pick a light distro.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

You guys complain far too much about Microsoft.
    98 sucked. 2k was much better, and XP was an improvement on that.

I'm not saying they're perfect and I'm not saying they're the best at everything they do, but some of their products are really good and I'm tired of the mentality of "Linux is better than Windows!"(specifically by the people that still run Windows)

They're different products that work in different ways, even if they are in direct competition with each other.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I'm actually not happy with Linux, I can't get it to work right... so I'm just gonna use my Windows XP until and after I get Vista. I'm thinking of getting it to dual boot with both. I mean, DX10 is gonna be nice once it's developed enough (I don't know how well it works or anything) as games will probably look and maybe even run better. But yeah, XP is stable as hell for me and Linux would crash or just not work, I've gone through like five distros so far.

Ryoken, try Linux Mint. I have been running it for a few months now and I havent had a single problem. And it being based on ubuntu it will configure dual boooting automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Okay, I'll look into that later on today or tomorrow.