Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sad day in the world of gaming.

Anodized

Default Re: Sad day in the world of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    I really wish they had less balanced sides and more unsymmetrical maps, those were the best part of all the other games, you had to adapt more to where you were and it was more random as to where your opponents were, but ah well, that's what the map editor is for and why people mod games, lol.
    That was the best part about the command and conquer series. And yeah thankfully the community can make better maps than EA, that says alot as well.

And a while back EA admitted that they rush every game, except for CNC3 which had about 5 years. Though I know it was also rushed.
    General Omega.
    Cooling Modder.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I'm betting that they went through quite a few variants on it. Later on down the road, I'm gonna make a Red Alert mod, well, more of a remake of the whole game, but we'll see how that ends up. I hope I have the time and motivation for it. I love that game though, Red Alert kicked ass.

Is awesome

Red alert 2 was full of awesome.

Team Fortress 2 is also full of awesome.

Both made by somewhat independent companies not afraid of spending time to create great games. Team fortress 2 took, what, 7 years to complete? Sure, it's not the best game ever but it's a great, balanced, strategic experience. Landing a perfect stab in a medic then right onto a heavy's back is such a high.

Time=better games nearly every time. EA thinks (crunch hard and churn out all the games you can)=($$$from suckers).

And EA is the biggest game company in the world. It must work for them.
    You love my sig.

Anodized

I'm betting that they went through quite a few variants on it. Later on down the road, I'm gonna make a Red Alert mod, well, more of a remake of the whole game, but we'll see how that ends up. I hope I have the time and motivation for it. I love that game though, Red Alert kicked ass.
    I love modding cnc games, if you go with this keep me on your list lol I'd love to help however I can.

@Quakken
    I'd love to try Team Fortress 2, and dang thats a LONG TIME to work on something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakken
    Time=better games nearly every time. EA thinks (crunch hard and churn out all the games you can)=($$$from suckers).
    True. But its a matter of time before people realize that the sims expansion # 20 only has 3 new items. I installed it so someone could play it, the expansions have nothing new. LAME GAME.

All EAs games have nothing new in any aspect of gaming. I know Westwood is now... what was it... they have their own new company from the original people who made the CNC series, they made a star wars RTS...

Cant remember but they are still making games, but cant make command and conquer thanks to EA >.>

If you make a red alert mod, I'll guarantee unbalancing (it makes players have strategies and solutions for problems) and un-symmetrical maps. YAY FOR STRATEGY!

Used to mod RA2 all the time, but thats since I couldnt play generals, now I can play up to CNC3
    General Omega.
    Cooling Modder.

Red Alert's unbalanced to begin with, lol, but it all works out because they designed it quite well. I"m gonna try to make at least another .ini file mod to start with so that I can make the build radius further and crank the prices of some things like before and make tanks more worth it, etc. etc. I'll have to see if they stupid First Decade stuff has that hidden or not, I don't think so though, EA didn't do too much to those games besides stuff 'em on one CD and make the first CnC run at 640x480.

Anodized

Red Alert's unbalanced to begin with, lol, but it all works out because they designed it quite well. I"m gonna try to make at least another .ini file mod to start with so that I can make the build radius further and crank the prices of some things like before and make tanks more worth it, etc. etc. I'll have to see if they stupid First Decade stuff has that hidden or not, I don't think so though, EA didn't do too much to those games besides stuff 'em on one CD and make the first CnC run at 640x480.
    Wait lol, are you gonna mod Red Alert on its own or make a CNC3-Red Alert Total Conversion? I still believe Red Alert is the BEST!
    About the First Decade, I couldnt run red alert on my laptop till that came out lol, something about 64bit etc etc... But now it can.

Long live Red Alert!
    General Omega.
    Cooling Modder.

The original first as it seems to be easier and then later on a total conversion. I'm a Red Alert fanatic almost, lol. I'd play the game but I get bored with skirmishes after a while and the campaign is getting old, some of the missions are just flat out annoying, lol.

Anodized

The original first as it seems to be easier and then later on a total conversion. I'm a Red Alert fanatic almost, lol. I'd play the game but I get bored with skirmishes after a while and the campaign is getting old, some of the missions are just flat out annoying, lol.
    Agreed.
    I'll have to find my .INI editor for you, it makes it ALOT easier to mod because it recognizes the [ ] for modding purposes. Cut down my modding time to a fraction of the time.

Since this is more pixel-ish, this should be easy for me to edit lol.
    General Omega.
    Cooling Modder.

I had a few but they didn't have enough options... so what'd I do? I went into the file itself and copy-pasted stuff and edited and all. Worked quite well but was tedious and required about six hours to get what I wanted, and even then I still thought of more to do.

Resident Alcoholic

My only problem with EA was the way in which they handled DICE.
    I was a texture artist, and active in the game developer community when EA bought DICE out and heard many stories of unethical business decisions and downright foulplay on EA's part.

In short, they bought out DICE and then fired a large amount of employees. Several modellers and texture artists literally arrived at work to find their office closed. They were denied access to their work computers which for many of the texture artists contained their life's collection of reference photos and texture banks. EA claimed that the data belonged to DICE as many of the textures had been used in the battlefield series, and as they had aquired DICE the texture banks now belonged to them.

In effect, EA bought DICE, fired many of their development team, replaced them with cheaper, less exprienced developers, and left many artists out of work without their life's collection of texture banks - It was interesting therefore when I was at a friend of my ex girlfriends' house and her dad mentioned that he worked for EA. I explained that I was a texture artist and admitted to him that I wasn't too happy with EA due to the DICE incident. He seemed kind of embarrased and changed the subject pretty quickly. It was only later that day that I found out from his daughter that he was head of EA's HR/recruitment division and played a major role in the sacking and re-hiring of DICE employees!

[/rant]

H