Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else have problems reading??

Greco101

Default Does anyone else have problems reading??

I know how to read... but only half way. When it comes to most textbooks, when I get done with the page I realize I didn't take in a single word. The only thing that seems to help is reading out loud (anyone else like that?).

The problem with that is nowhere to read. If I'm laying down on my stomach, I have to rest my head with my arms which makes it hard to read out loud. reading on my bed makes it a lot easier but I get tired after about 15 minutes and feel like I HAVE to sleep.

Another problem is the glare on the pages. For w/e reason this distracts the hell out of me. If the light is too bright, The pages have glare on them so it helps to read early in the morning or later in afternoon where it's more dim.

I've never been diagnosed with A.D.D but I may have it...maybe? I've read/heard a lot about A.D.D being 100% mental and just being a the persons personality/lack of discipline to concentrate. 9/10 times I sit down to read... I can't concentrate and have to read each page 2-4 times before I understand what the hell I'm reading....YET... I can read large stories on screen without being distracted/ having problems comprehending the text. wtf? I can also play games or w/e without being distracted. Apparently my "A.D.D" has a mind of its own.

Does anyone have my problem? Any suggestions to help concentrate? I'm just really getting stressed the **** out trying to read this A+ book. I'm really having problems learning from a text book...

Remember Remember, The 5th Of November.

Default Re: Does anyone else have problems reading??

Do you get distracted from other things? doing multiple things at once when you only need to do 1 right now?

I know i have ADD, if someone is clicking a pencil, sniffling etc i will make obvious mistakes on tests that require work. I have to read at night (11 pm or later) just so i dont hear my parents working.

I've been diagnosed with ADD and have been given medication for it, but ive only taken it a few times, and it doesnt really help me.

hey greco

i have add also and i take ritalin for it i dont belive its a mental thing but some people overcome it but that doesnt make it a mental thing
    i never actually had a problem reading i learned how to read in pre kindergarten so i bet thats why but i know what u mean about textbooks if there was like a hardware book i woudlnt have a problem with it but stuff im not intrested in i find alot harder to read also im constantly doing soemthing like ill ocnstantly by like playing with my hands or like messin w/ sumtin (i hope noone finds that creepy) also i dont shut the hell up lol

but yeah go to a nueroligist and see if u can do sumtin about it

also ive went thru like 20 different meds and different dosages of them it almost seems that like over time they were off and dont work anymore but my mom doesnt believe me so like after like a year the stuff doesnt work anymore and then my mom doesnt like actually listen to me telling her that it doesnt work until like a teachers says i forgot to do sumtin for class then its diffrent which pisses me off
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I have dyslexia, just bad enough for it to mess me up while not expecting it. I'll swap a paragraph around or spontaneously start skimming over text and not take any of it in. I just can't really recall anything right and am too stressed for school as it is, but I'm not throwing away the money I've invested in this semester, and I don't feel like doing all this stuff all over again, to hell with that.

To the reading, go slow and take in what you can. You can only try your best. Taking notes while you go, with a pad and pen right there by you can help out alot. It takes almost double the time but it helps me to get atleast some of what I read. I can't seem to remember much of anything if I don't write it down. If I write it though, its pretty much logged in my brain some where.

I do think something happened sometime in the last year or two because my memory has seriously been failing me. To the point of not knowing much of anything short term. Because my heart was crushed, they were worried about something happening with my brain not getting enough blood and such. Maybe something happened, who knows. The doctor's can't figure any of that out because I didn't tell them about what was wrong with me soon enough. They just said to keep track of it and see if it gets worse. I don't know.

To Ryo, don't give up. I am telling you from experience. I was having health issues at the times that i gave up but...here's a short "story".

I was at the top of my classes and got sick right at the last few weeks. I missed alot because of it. (because of my heart). I could have gone back in for the last week, took the final and still gotten a passing grade. I felt like I just failed so I dropped out. This happened two semesters. Had I just not given up I would've gotten a B in most of my classes it turns out, even with all the stuff I missed. For the most part, if you show up, do your homework, and atleast try your best on tests and stuff. There really isn't much of a way to fail. Unless you try to just not care or fail, or just give up on yourself. The biggest thing is to never miss a class that you could be there. It just snowballs and thats when you get caught up and stressed.

Just a few hints/things I went through that maybe I could help someone with somehow. The biggest thing is to not give up. Whether it be for school, or just trying to get through a page in a book.

Just don't give up on yourself, or you will only be there moping by yourself.
    One lesson I learned.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Thanks for the bit of motivation. I'm not giving up, the only way I'll quit is by going insane or dying, and I'm not planning on either. I dropped my Algebra class because once a week from 6:00-8:40pm wasn't working out at all, I also dropped my one online class because none of the work made sense and the wobsite they had it on was awful. Writing's annoying, but it is what it is... at least I'm learning how to write, eh? High school they never did focus on writing, just reading books that were really disturbing.

But yeah, I'm a work in progress myself.

Greco101

When I read, I have to turn everything off and close the windows because even a car driving by will set me off track. I usually end up cleaning my room because I get stressed when things aren't organized around me.

I'm constantly doing more than one thing at a time in a sense... Perhaps that's why I don't notice the A.D.D while playing games if I do have it?

More often than not, I will realize for the last few pages, I've been thinking about something else. I'm not sure if that is just stress or part of the A.D.D?

Just for a real life example, I tried reading tonight and ended up building a temporary reading place only to "read" 2 pages.

At first I just had the book and a stand I rigged up and was laying up against a wall.

I was uncomfortable and decided to lay down... I got a large speaker box that has strange angles and propped it on a box so the speaker box had a large flat surface for my back... then put the z-5500 box on top for my upper back and head.

My head wasn't forward enough so I got a pillow

My feet weren't stable enough on the carpet so I layed down

The carpet felt weird against my skin after a couple minutes since I was in boxers and a shirt so I got a sheet and 2 extra pillows.

I got situated and read 2 pages or so, then got tired.

i have the same thing greco101, its a LD (learning disability). i can read a book but it doesn't really sink in unless i like what its talking about. i also suck and getting the ideas and such outta my head to paper/pc properly, which explains my common spelling and grammar mishaps. i also have ADHD and use to take Ritalin but changed to concerta (millatary stuff and 3 bucks a pill, well thats the MSRP) its has a way better release system so you get a nice steady flow of Ritalin instead of a burst. but i don't take it anymore as i don't really need it.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

****, bits of what some of you guys have is starting to sound a bit like me..
    Anyways Greco, my dad is a teacher and we works mostly with dyslexia, autism, ADD and that kinda stuff. One of the things he does to help kids reading is to get a sheet of paper or card and cut a rectangular hole in it just the right size to see one line of the book, he says it helps focus them or something like that.
    So give it a try it might help a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    I'm starting to worry that I may become genuinely funny at some point. Then there will be no hope.

I mysaelf have a form of autisdm. I only actually read the first 3 sentences though.