Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC still locking up

Anodized

Default PC still locking up

Almost every time my wife plays EQ2 on her computer it locks up. I've tried various things like changing the PSU, video card, and memory. Even went as far as to attach a small fan to the video cards heat sink (it didn't have one already). I'm a bit financially impaired and cannot afford new components at the moment, so does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks!
    [_]) javafiend
    da j-o-b blocked photobucket

Default Re: PC still locking up

If it's only happening when playing EQ2, I'd suspect it's a software issue within the game. Is there possibly an update required? Have you tried a reinstall?

If it's happening whenever the PC is working hard, then an overheat issue is still a possibility... maybe try reseating the CPU and cpu cooler, reseat the cards and memory, or try running the PC with the cover open (or right off) to test that theory.

You could also check the Windows Event Viewer to see if there's any indication of the problem in there after a lockup.

Umm... disable power management on the NIC, screen saver maybe? Not sure if it's happening when she's actively playing or sitting still, so I suppose that's a possibility too.

Can you alt+tab out of the game without crashing the PC? Does the lockup totally lock the PC, or just the game? If it's just the game, then try alt+tab to get back to windows, and look for errors or popups.

Windows auto update maybe?

I'll post more ideas as they come to me.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Anodized

I don't think I've checked the event viewer afterwards, so I think I'll at least give that a shot next time. The only other thing I can think of is that I'm using a driver set with know issues. I try to keep them as up to date as possible, though, which may not be the best thing in the world when gaming.
    [_]) javafiend

You could always try rolling the drivers back, one at a time and see if that works for you.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Anodized

Well, game just crashed on her PC. Nothing showed up in the event viewer, though.
    [_]) javafiend

Quote Originally Posted by javafiend View Post
    Well, game just crashed on her PC. Nothing showed up in the event viewer, though.
    sounds like a video issue - have you tried reducing the level of h/ware acceleration - and if the game will run with the machine configured that way?

Anodized

I'm guessing that would be in the nvidia software, correct? I'm at work right now so I'll have to try this evening.
    [_]) javafiend

Quote Originally Posted by javafiend View Post
    I'm guessing that would be in the nvidia software, correct? I'm at work right now so I'll have to try this evening.
    Or in display properties.

Why not just turn down the settings in the games display section? Try lowering the detail levels a bit, and see if that calms it down.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Anodized

I've tried tuning down the game display settings already and have still locked up or crashed. I've tried looking out on the EQ2 forums, but have had difficulty navigating it since they changed the board format, plus folks on gaming boards can be real jerks. That's why I come here
    [_]) javafiend